Weight Loss Motivation

Options
diabetesdieter
diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
Why are you trying to lose weight?

For me, I want to control my diabetes and live an active life. I realized that I was sitting around a lot and not doing much. My husband runs a marathon each year and completed an Ironman triathlon. I was on the sidelines watching. Now, I am able to participate in more activities!

Replies

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My main reason is to get my diabetes under control. With that under control every thing is getting better!
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Being Diagnosed with Diabetes is the catalyst for my motivation for weight loss. Ironically, since being diagnosed with this chronic disease I have never felt healthier!

To start I was not even attempting to lose weight, after attending nutrition classes to help control my Glucose I just started eating right and the weight just started to drop. As I felt better I got the desire to start moving; starting with just walking 10 minutes a day. Now Im doing C25K and feeling much stronger. Now my goal is to get a BMI in the "normal range". I predict it will take to 2016, but thats ok by me. The lighter I get, the better my BP, my endurance, my energy level.... Bottom line, I want to be healthy.

Regret that it took a chronic disease to make me realize this.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Basically just to control my diabetes.
  • BabyJohnson
    Options
    To get off all my medications including metformin and other bp/heart related stuff. While I have confidence now, I just want to look and feel better to myself (yes that sounds vain **shrugs**). Just want to be at a more healthy and fit level for myself.
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Like all here....want to control diabetes and get in a better shape. Also, I need to prove myself that I could do it. I need to.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    If I'm being honest with myself, general concepts such as "wellness" and "good diabetes control" don't have the immediacy required to keep me motivated. I knew before my diagnosis I was gaining weight, eating poorly, not exercising and becoming unhealthy. I knew I needed a better diet and a workout regimen to avoid chronic health problems. The lever was there and I knew what it was for. I choose not to pull it.

Why then, did I finally pull that lever? What changed with my diagnosis?

Fear. I'd like to avoid as many serious diabetic complications as I can in my lifetime. Neuropathy, blindness, amputations, increased chances of heart attack and stroke. Scary stuff. I just don't want any part of those if I can at all help it. My diagnosis was a wake-up call, screaming "These things are gonna happen sooner rather than later if you don't do something!"

Sure, now that I'm straighter and narrower (see what I did there?) I like much better how I feel and how I look. They're motivational helpers. Even the difficulty of the task itself can lend a motivational hand. Loosing weight is hard? I'll show myself I can do it.

But, no. I have to give credit to where credit is due. Fear is the impetus behind my weight loss success.
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed with cancer, HBP, diabetes, and high cholesterol all in the same week (2.5 yrs ago). It scared the crap out of me and I realized that I didn't want to die. I also want to live as well as I can and try to avoid complications from diabetes if possible. It's been great motivation for me and I'm hoping the changes I've made are habit by now and I'll never slip back into my sedentary and apathetic lifestyle.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago, diabetes was a mythical concept reserved for people who were much much heavier than ME!

I was going home at the end of a Friday and it was pouring rain, a woman I barely knew and I were waiting at the door for it to let up a bit. Casually I asked her what she was doing this weekend and she told me she was going for surgery. After expressing concern I asked what for and she told me she was getting her foot cut off. CUT OFF.

This woman ate Burger King for lunch every single day. Now obviously I didn't know her whole story, but that stuck with me, the removing body parts thing.

I learned that 6 months later she had the other foot removed and was on disability.

When I got my diagnosis that was the only thing I could think about. Removing body parts. Now every time I try to sneak something I shouldn't be having my friends or my sister just look at me and say "feet." Most donuts just aren't worth that.