NHS Gastric band surgery for anyone with a BMI over 30

Options
DMicheleC
DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
Hi all just wanted to ask what you think about the possibility of people having gastric band surgery on the NHS. Personally I don't think it would help, I think if the NHS would go back to funding glucose meters and strips and educate people in how to look for what raises your blood glucose and what helps it to stay lower, this would be a much better idea. I have managed my diabetes with diet and exercise but I have never been given a glucose meter to test myself, I just have yearly blood tests. But I keep thinking about testing myself over a period of time and eating different foods to see what happens and maybe making a list of things that I am ok to eat and not ok to eat, as I know every diabetic is different. Sometimes I feel frustrated at people telling me what to do and them not knowing what is best for me. When I was first diagnosed I was told by the dietician that I can eat whatever I want within reason, I have found this not to be the case, through trial and error. I now try to eat a diet that is low in carb and higher in protein, I have not quiet perfected it as yet, but I am getting there. Sorry for the long winded topic but am just interested to see what other people think.

Replies

• HypnoWhizz
    HypnoWhizz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm type 2 and was diagnosed back in 2004. I'm on insulin plus the usual other bits 'n pieces. For my meter I simply asked the diabetes nurse at the practise who gave me one that had been left by a rep, and I asked the Doc to prescribe the test strips. They weren't keen, but as you have to have blood sugars above 5 to drive legally in the UK, they did, and have done so since. I've also changed meters by contacting the manufacturers through their websites and they will give you a meter FOC if they think you test often enough (I'm at least twice a day). I currently use a Bayer Contour USB which is great for me. I truly believe that a meter is essential especially so you can actually see what your reaction to foods is and it does give you control to a degree, which I really like. I also keep a daily written log of results and any "extras / naughties" I might have, which for me is quite easy as I have 5 injections per day.

Regarding bariatric surgery, I'm currently going through the mill for that too. As I'm over 40+BMI I qualify for referral but have to jump through many hoops over a 12 month period before I qualify. Fortunately I don't have an eating disorder as such (depending on your viewpoint I suppose) but more that its gone on over a lot of years and I want to get it down relatively quickly. I do smile when people blindly state that you can do it with diet and exercise alone. I totally agree that as I "shrink" I'll be able to get back to going out on my bike or sessions down the gym. At the moment most of that is restricted because of joint pain, and my exercise is gentle swimming. So I see the surgery as a way of getting my life back and getting the motivation and movement required to lose even more weight, within a reasonable time.

Also, as part of the bariatric "hoops" they take a really good look at why you're overweight. Not just uncontrolled eating, poor food choices or just being sedentary. They found my hormones were v low in certain areas, and now this has been resolved it has made me simply "feel" so much better.

Anyway those are my thoughts, and I agree with the high protein / low carb diet, it works for me!!

I hope these help and above all - have fun!
    Chris
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had the Band and they lost a lot weight very quickly then put it all back on and more after the band failed. NOw they are stuck with a huge expense to have it removed and is causing stomach problems.

Its an over simplification, but all the band really does is make you eat less. The same thing can be done with discipline. I am personally not in favor of any diet that is temporary, as once you go off it; the weight will come back. What is needed is a lifestyle change.

Of course everyone is unique ergo has unique needs. People who are "off the BMI charts" (400lbs +) are a different discussion and may indeed need alternative life saving measures such as surgery or bands.

BTW; I started with a BMI of 42 and am down to a BMI of 34 in about six months by eating sensibly and exercising. My initial exercise was 10 minutes of slow walking. I just added to that a few minutes each week till I was able to run. Now I am running 30 minutes 3 days a week and plan on doing a 5K race in Sept.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Interesting. NHS=UK I assume? (National Health Service?)

Seems very in line with Canadian policies regarding testing with meters and prescribing strips. Here they will allow you 100 strips every 2 months as OHIP (Ontario Health) does not deem testing necessary unless you're on insulin, I don't know about other provinces. I went to walmart in the states and bought my own-so cheap there!

As far as gastric, we have it covered here, but there are also a lot of hoops, including psychological testing. Most people I know skipped it altogether and paid full price to get it done in the States where they do it for anyone with a chequebook. Most of them have gained it all back. The few I know who did the hoop jumping, it worked very well for them and it's stuck.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, for some people anyway. The way my doctor put it, "your body can't deal with 220 pounds of you, it might be able to deal with 180, but we won't know until you get there."
  • DMicheleC
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies it was interesting reading all the different view points. I myself don't take any medication for my diabetes as yet, I have managed to bring my glucose reading down with diet and exercise. Over the last 6 months I have lost a over a stone in weight, but I still have a BMI of 30. I personally wouldn't want gastric band surgery as I prefer to loose the weight with healthy eating and exercise. I have never been given a glucose monitor or strips and when I've asked about one, my GPs surgery have told me that they don't prescribe them on the NHS and I would have to pay for the monitor and the strips. Well I would prefer to have the monitor and strips on the NHS than have the surgery. This would help me a great deal in working out what food brings my levels up and what foods I can eat safely. My last blood test was 12 months ago and I am now due another one. My last reading was 5.7, so I am hoping my reading is still low enough so that I don't have to start medication. I have been doing the C25K and am now running for approx. 20 minutes 3 times a week, but hoping to increase to 30 minutes so I can do a 5K charity run. Thanks again for all your replies it really helps when you can look at things from other viewpoints as well as your own.
  • DMicheleC
    Options
    I had a friend who had the Band and they lost a lot weight very quickly then put it all back on and more after the band failed. NOw they are stuck with a huge expense to have it removed and is causing stomach problems.

Its an over simplification, but all the band really does is make you eat less. The same thing can be done with discipline. I am personally not in favor of any diet that is temporary, as once you go off it; the weight will come back. What is needed is a lifestyle change.

Of course everyone is unique ergo has unique needs. People who are "off the BMI charts" (400lbs +) are a different discussion and may indeed need alternative life saving measures such as surgery or bands.

BTW; I started with a BMI of 42 and am down to a BMI of 34 in about six months by eating sensibly and exercising. My initial exercise was 10 minutes of slow walking. I just added to that a few minutes each week till I was able to run. Now I am running 30 minutes 3 days a week and plan on doing a 5K race in Sept.

Just want to say, I think you have don't so well, bringing your BMI down and with the running. Fantastic