Need Packaged Foods

Options
abs0830
abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
Prevention magazine has a list of 100 cleanest packaged foods. Any that you like a lot?

Our Criteria:
1. Contain no more than 10 g of added sugar, in accordance with our Sugar Smart app
2. Have fewer than 200 mg of sodium per serving (or 400 mg for meals)
3. Come in cans free of BPA
4. Are sustainable according to Monterey Bay Aquarium seafood criteria (if fish)
5. Are made without genetically modified ingredients

http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/100-cleanest-packaged-food-awards-2014-breakfast

For me: Kerrygold Reduced-Fat Dubliner Cheese is delish. Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened Almond Milk-I drink this daily in shakes that I make. I also like Kind granola bars that are listed as part of the snack portion.

Replies

• jeanners98
    jeanners98 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the applegate products (bacon, sausage, sliced deli meat) so I'm glad they aren't as bad as I secretly feared!

I also love Nancy's cream cheese, although I'm planning to cut that out in the long run because it's pretty empty in the calorie department.

I LOVE the california olive ranch EVOO!! my favorite and our household staple.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Interesting read! I'll have to print it out or something for next time I go to the store.
  • abs0830
    Options
    Glad it helped. I try to stay on the outside of the grocery store, but sometimes it's hard to get around foods that aren't packaged. Like hurricane season, need food that will be ok to eat if the we lose power!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I've recently been using that strategy for grocery shopping for the most part. I haven't really noticed too big of a change in the meals except the cooking is more involved for me since I'm using more fresh ingredients. But my husband hasn't said anything about it, so I guess he doesn't mind.

The main exceptions to that grocery shopping strategy are rice and pasta-- I have neither the ability, resources, nor inclination to make my own, so packaged it is! :wink:
  • sunsoakeddreamer
    sunsoakeddreamer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I've only tried a few of these- Siggis (sooo good but rather expensive) and the Pacific broths I like too, didn't notice they have a butternut squash soup, we'll have to try that. A lot of these brands I've never seen before, probably sold at Whole Foods or something?
  • jeanners98
    jeanners98 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes they are at whole foods or food co-ops typically.
  • ShalaraQ
    ShalaraQ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Obviously, I do try to avoid packaged foods, or I wouldn't be here in this group, but I must admit there are times when lack of energy or time has me reaching for something quick and easy. It was nice to see Amy's lasagna in there. I do have a few of those in my freezer ;)

While I can't afford to feed my family entirely from the aisles of New Seasons (which is a small local chain of locally sourced, organic foods, a little bit like whole foods), when I am looking for quick fix meals, I usually start there since they are the likeliest to have the best choices, and then carefully check the labels.

Like bookworm, there are things I am just not prepared to make from scratch at this point in my journey; so finding the least processed, healthiest option is important!

Kristen
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    We either currently eat or have tried several of the GF products on the list and regularly buy Pacific broths and soups. A lot of GF products on the market are highly processed so I have to do a bit research before I bring them home. We are pretty fortunate to have a small local GF store that stocks a lot of healthier options when we need to go packaged.
  • abs0830
    Options
    That's great. I think moderation is ok. If you're out tell them you have an allergy which is why you want to know the ingredients. You'll see a change happen where you're no longer being "picky" but you have an issue. I found this out the hard way.

I like Trader Joe's a lot. the prices aren't bad on a lot of things I find high in other stores and there aren't that many ingredients I don't recognize.

Sooggynode-I think that's great that you have a local GF store that does the healthier options!

I actually make my own pasta because I've been doing it since I was little. Rice, I get from the store though :-)
  • caitastic24
    caitastic24 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Abby, I've been wanting to make my own pasta for a while! Can you post your recipe? :)

And what a great resource ! FYI everyone- Whole Foods sells pb packets for $1.00 with one single serving. Not the best for the environment but definitely good for portion control! I could eat pb for days. I also frequent Trader Joe's but I'll have to try some other things on this list