New and introducing myself - long and detailed

Options
gogigi333
gogigi333 Posts: 25 Member
Hello,
I'm Gigi, 51 and new to these support forums. I recently read a good article on behavior modification for weight loss, and they stressed the need to track what you eat and have an active support group. My 2 best friends are model thin, and my husband is fit, so I don't have a local group that has the same weight issues that I do. These forums seem like a good place to find like minded people.

I have had to watch my weight my entire life. When I was in my 20s and 30s I was where I wanted to be with a BMI of 22-23. Of course I always wanted to lose 5 more pounds, but I felt good and looked good. I was very active - ran 6 marathons, lots of half marathons and at least a 10k race every month. Also worked out in martial arts 3-4 times per week. Yes, I considered myself a real "warrior woman"! And yes, that was before kids :-)

I was a late bloomer, but I married, moved and had kids and life was different. My weight started slowly increasing in my 40s. I no longer had my running group of friends, and live in a rural area now and have looked, but there are NO local running groups. With the kids there are always birthdays, parties, celebrations that involved lots and lots of sugar and lovely homemade desserts. I'm fairly active, but don't do the many hours of running and cardio that had always kept my weight down. Plus I'm older and the metabolism is slowing.

Then I hit 50. I was so tired of dieting my entire life, I just felt rebellious and stopped watching what I ate for almost year. I didn't go crazy binging or anything like that. But I had ice cream with the kids. I baked more. I had 2 or 3 fabulous homemade desserts at the many potlucks I went to. I started having an evening glass of wine or 2. I bought chocolate for all the holidays - valentines, Easter, Halloween, Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Nothing extreme, but all those little indulgences seemed to change my metabolism and I stopped getting on the scale. Or even looking in the mirror because I didn't like the way I looked. My sister gave me her old jeans so I had some clothes that would fit.

When the warm weather came this year, I found that NONE of my shorts or summer clothes fit. I couldn't begin to button my huge "fat shorts". The real shocker was that my shirts didn't fit - too tight in the chest and pinching my arms. What!??! I've never gained so much weight that my SHIRTS didn't fit! Couldn't wear my dressy black jacket to a funeral because my arms were too big! Then one day walking down the street I caught sight of myself in the mirrored windows and saw that my belly was jiggling as I walked. I was mortified.

I got on the scale and found out I gained 25 pounds in about 6 months. That's gaining a pound a week!! If I gained just a couple more pounds I would have an officially obese BMI of 30.

I was in denial. I'm not any more. More importantly, I'm now "ready" to diet. I've been dieting for a couple months now, but am very discouraged how hard it is to lose weight at 51. Previously, if I just dieted and upped the exercise, the weight would slowly, but surely come off. Now I've stopped gaining, but losing weight isn't happening. It's depressing.

So I'd like to lose 25 pounds to get back to a BMI of just under 25. Longer term, it would be nice to lose 40 pounds and go back to a BMI of 22, but not holding my breath on that one.

Some of this might be familiar to you. If you can relate, consider being my friend to help support me. I'll support you as well. I'm really committed now, I just need to lose a little weight to get some momentum going, and some friends to encourage me when I'm going through a rough patch.

thanks for reading this far!

PS - I'm also posting this in the Women 50+ group.

Replies

• suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi, Gigi! Welcome to Warrior Women! It sounds like you'd fit in great here! I'm 48 (I'll be 49 in August, but who's rushing;) and actually went for a decade barely weighing myself and not caring how much I weighed. I'm glad you came out of denial far sooner! By the time I found MFP, I was at 220lbs (I'm 5'0"). I can't tell you that this has been easy, because it has not been. I'm now down to 176lbs, aiming for 145. I worked hard for every pound lost. What I can say is that in 1/14, I started making MFP friends, and that has made this journey so much more enjoyable. Being here for people and having them support my every effort has made all the difference. I'm no longer in a big hurry. I just fuel my body properly, enjoy my life, work out as hard as I can, and watch the weight come off! Right now, I'm losing about 1lb/week and that's fine. At this rate, I should be at my goal by my 50th birthday. Feel free to create your own fitness goal and join us on the July thread. We are some serious exercisers, so it may be easy for you to get back into your old habits hanging out with us.
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Welcome GiGi---I am 45, weigh 268 and have re-started more times than I care to count. I believe my BMI is some where are 51....I am not worried about BMI, I am worried about pounds and how I feel and pants size. I totally understand about the shirt sleeves too, but arms are pretty big and I have a problem finding shirts that will fit my arms. If they fit my arms, the body of the shirt is normaly too big. It is a frustrating world out there.

And then the clothing that they have come out with for plus size...Yikes!!!!!!!

Welcome to the group and join us as Sue said in the July post. This is a great group of woman, I have not known them long...but they are helping to save my life...I am not even joking when I say that....They are one of the best support groups I have, with the exception of just a handful (one hand) of people in my actual world (instead of virtual world) these woman are just the best.

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!! :flowerforyou:
  • gogigi333
    Options
    Hi Suejoker, hi Schnicklefrit, thanks for the welcome :-)

Sue, Good for you, you have come so far! I would be very pleased with a pound a week loss. I don't like to extreme diet, slow and steady works better. I must say that for 49 you have a beautifully young face! I'm hoping that just being "accountable" to some people will help me. When I belonged in the running group they would hassle me if I missed running. It was a good thing.

Hi Schnicklefrit - there must be a story behind that name! I believe you when you say they are saving your life, being more healthy is one of my main drivers. I know it's not good to carry those extra pounds, so together we can support each other in improving our health.

And I want to get rid of the "bat wings" on my arms, or at least trim them down to butterfly wings! I have always had big arms. Back in the day, when I was athletic, people always thought I was a weight lifter because I have arms like a man! Even then I never wore sleeveless dresses, only t-shirt types.

thanks
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    [And I want to get rid of the "bat wings" on my arms, or at least trim them down to butterfly wings! I have always had big arms. Back in the day, when I was athletic, people always thought I was a weight lifter because I have arms like a man! Even then I never wore sleeveless dresses, only t-shirt types.]

thanks
    [/quote]

I am actually starting to lift heavy weights, one of my goals is to lift in a competition next year. I would like to do one and then I can quit. LOL I am excited about it though. I have astham and while I am kicking butt with cardio right now...every single breath is a struggle...but I do it anyway...lifting can be my way to do something that I like and it won't be as hard on my lungs.
  • dianastepheny
    dianastepheny Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hi Gigi,

My name is Diana. I am married, 44 years old, mom to two boys (15 and 4) and overweight. I need to lose 100 pounds total and have managed to ditch 32 of them in the past 4 months. I too am not thrilled with my upper arms, and my belly and my boobs continue to have a contest as to who will stick out further. They keep taking turns as my weight loss progresses (right now the belly is winning again...grrrr).

This is a great group of virtual friends. Diet, exercise, cravings, stress, daily day to day reasons to cave or thrive...all of these topics are shared, advice given, complaints heard, strong support felt,... just through the taps of some keys.

I definitely think that this group is what helps me to keep going. I always know there is someone who will hear my thoughts and try to understand my feelings. Glad you could join us. It's a long journey...the more, the merrier.

Sending you a friend request. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Gigi.

I'm Stephanie, and 44, and I can relate to some portions of your introduction quite a lot.

I started gaining younger than you did, but similarly was pretty active and didn't really have a weight problem (although I always wanted to be about 10 lbs lighter, just for vanity reasons) during my teens and 20s. Never enough to actually do anything about it, and looking at old photos I didn't need to. But in my mid 20s I started a very stressful, demanding job, and for some reason--unlike some co-workers who burnt off stress by fitting the gym into their lives--I responded by sacrificing my running and other exercise time and also convinced myself that it was okay to eat without limit whatever food was available through work (and lots of really good food was--they expected us to work late into the night, but were very permissive about where you could order dinner). Add to that a social life that revolved around going out to restaurants or bars, and it was not a good situation for someone who had never really had to watch what she ate or learned to cook, but had always controlled her weight through activity.

Finally when I was in my early 30s I had a reality check (seeing myself in my friend's wedding party photos) and decided that this had to change. I started cooking healthy, got big time back into physical activity (1 marathon, some halfs and tris), and lost 60 lbs. Maintained that for some years, until various life stresses happened and I regained all and more. I'm now in the process of losing it in a pretty similar way to the first time, but with lots of thought to how to keep it off for good this time.

I totally agree that having a social circle or support group that encourages the healthy and active lifestyle is a huge thing. That was something that helped me a lot the first time (although I didn't realize it so clearly then) and drifting away from that group or not maintaining the social aspect definitely contributed to my regain and the time it took me to get back on track. I love my friends, but most aren't particularly into the same active things I'm getting back into currently, and having the support structure of MFP has helped a lot. I'm also starting to take steps to try and develop some similar support off the internet, by checking out some local biking and (in the future) hiking groups.

I'm biased, but I think Warrior Women is a fun and supportive group, and I'm delighted you are interested in joining us.
  • gogigi333
    Options
    Hi Schnicklefritz1 - good for you and the weight lifting! That's something I want to start soon (just not yet). I've read tons that say strength training builds muscle which burn more calories around the clock. Lots of agreement that srength training will charge up weight loss. I think I will start moderately in the fall. Keep us informed how it's going for you.

Hi Diana! You've lost 32 pounds - WOW! That's stupendous! You must be doing things right, that is a big loss, and I'm sure you'll keep it up. I've been most disgusted by my arms because they prevent me squeezing into my shirts, but the belly and boobs are carrying their extra weight too. I've got a huge cup size now, but it's not as great as it's made out to be :-)

Hi Stephanie, yes I can relate to your post. When I weighed 125 I was always trying to lose the last 5 pounds for vanity's sake. Ha! What I wouldn't give to be back at 125 now! And the photo thing was another wake up call for me. Lately I avoid having my photo taken below the neck, and when I do see photos of me now, I can't believe how wide I've gotten. Somehow when I look in the mirror it's not as bad as seeing myself in a photo. Strange thing is, the rest of my family look normal, so it's nothing wrong with the camera, I suspect it's that denial thing again. In my 40s I was going up and down and up and up. Life stresses would set me back too, eating was a way of coping with stress. Fortunately (knock on wood) my life is relatively calm now, and without stress to throw me off track I'm hoping to make better progress.

Nice to hear from all of you! I appreciate the support, this is the whole reason I've joined these forums.