A Few questions

Options
ollilaa
ollilaa Posts: 16 Member
1. What are low-carb (dense carbs are ok) and no sugar meal ideas...or is there a website you go to for help?

2. How do I reach my caloric goal without raising the fat, keeping the protein, getting few carbs, and having minimal sugar? I can't seem to reach 1,000 calories on most days and feel like I am eating every 2 hours....sometimes shoving food down. I know my body is going into starvation mode, but I have no idea what to eat.

3. How do you boost your energy? I am a teacher so I get plenty of rest right now being it is summer break, but I have been zapped the past few weeks. I have no energy or motivation for anything. I do my required 60 minutes of "speed" walking each night, but then still fall asleep after I am done.

Thanks....I've been trying to do what the doctor ordered (while not buying any more groceries but eating what we have) and have seemed to gain weight in 2 weeks. I lost 2 1/2 the first and then gained over 3 the second. (I know if you look at my meal plan...it doesn't look the best, but it's WAY better than I was doing... :) )

Replies

• pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1. There's no end to the different meals you can have with low carb. Last night I had sirloin pinwheels which had spinach and cheese wrapped up inside and a slice of bacon around the outside with a side of string beans in butter. Tonight I had homemade chicken fajitas which I topped with sour cream, mexican cheese, and jalapeno slices (No tortillas, of course).

2. Is there a particular reason you aren't wanting to raise the fat? Your macros certainly don't appear to be geared towards low carb at all, if that's what you're truly going for. If you're just wanting to add protein then you'd need things like lean meats, fish, etc..

3. Honestly, I might wonder if the sugars within your diet still have something to do with it. I could be totally off base here, but whenever I have more carbs and more sugars, even from fruit, it drags me down and makes me lethargic. I do have some fruit once in a great while, but it's a treat rather than a regular thing.
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1. There are a lot of ideas for meals in the low carb/keto forums for low carb/ no/low sugar meals. And there are many websites with recipes too.

2/3.. Why are you not wanting to raise your fat content. Most low carb diets are low carb and high fat. If you aren't getting your energy from carbs then you need the fat. If you are afraid of fat I would suggest reading/watching any of the books/videos that are on any of the resources links in the forums. I personally like the work of Gary Taubes for his use of science to explain the reasons why fat is not bad. Once your body gets use to a low carb diet your energy levels will go up as your body changes from sugar burning to fat burning.

Also once you buy new groceries you need to stop picking up the light, diet, or low-fat versions of foods, as that all equals higher sugar.
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Cage free eggs are amazing. good balance of proteins and fats. Choose a leaner cut of beef, 90% will allow you to get more protein per calorie. Coconut oil is an amazing fat that has many benefits including energy. The fats in coconut oil are used much like carbs for the body as an energy source.
    Nothing is better for energy than weight training. 30 minutes in the morning will speed up your metabolism and speed up your hormone production which can result in more energy. Bottom line is on 1100 calories you will never be energized fully. Its just not enough. Ive got my mom doing 1500 cals low carb.
  • ollilaa
    ollilaa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try increasing my fat and being ok with it. My doctor still wants me eating fruit for some reason. (It's only certain fruits though: berries, apples, citrus, some melons are ok. This is a trial for 3 months to see if they can figure out why I am not losing. She also only wants me to be walking for 60 min. with a heartrate between 130-150 the entire time. I had a weight plan that was very clean eating back in Jan/Feb/March that a trainer developed just for me and lost no inches and 5 pounds. My thyroid and all other organs have been tested and nothing.

thank you for the suggestions. I have also been doing a little more research myself to try to find ways to boost my energy.

I guess what really bothers me is what I see at the bottom of the page (the numbers) after I log in my foods and how unbalanced it looks.
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Most low carb macros have the fat set between 60 and 70 percent. One of the previous replies mentioning coconut oil is on point as well as the response from the first person to answer you. The sites I like to use for ideas is All Day I Dream About Food, Low Carbing Among Friends and George Stella. They are all really great. Check out Pinterest as well. Tons of ideas there for you to pin. Good luck!
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i would never trust a doctor when it comes to general nutrition
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I ate 80%fat with 15% protein and 5 % carbs, mostly veggies and occasional berries. I could never sustain low carb diet with out eating lot of fat.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I second the higher fat chorus! Eating good saturated fats (butter, coconut oil, olive oil, etc) will keep you feeling full and satisfied, and help you lose your carb cravings that make you hungry every few hours. This site gives a good overview of why the diet works:
    http://www.lchf.com/
    Click around on the FAQ etc to find out more. There are a ton of good tips and websites listed in this group's pinned postings at the top of the forum, too. It gets easier! Don't give up, you are worth it!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    1. What are low-carb (dense carbs are ok) and no sugar meal ideas...or is there a website you go to for help?

There are tons and tons. Just Google "low carb recipes." You can also look at Paleo and whole foods Vegan recipes for ideas, as well. They'll generally be lower in sugar, though not necessarily sugar free. Stick to the meat and non-starchy veggie sections, though, and you'll be golden on that front.
    2. How do I reach my caloric goal without raising the fat, keeping the protein, getting few carbs, and having minimal sugar? I can't seem to reach 1,000 calories on most days and feel like I am eating every 2 hours....sometimes shoving food down. I know my body is going into starvation mode, but I have no idea what to eat.

3. How do you boost your energy? I am a teacher so I get plenty of rest right now being it is summer break, but I have been zapped the past few weeks. I have no energy or motivation for anything. I do my required 60 minutes of "speed" walking each night, but then still fall asleep after I am done.

Thanks....I've been trying to do what the doctor ordered (while not buying any more groceries but eating what we have) and have seemed to gain weight in 2 weeks. I lost 2 1/2 the first and then gained over 3 the second. (I know if you look at my meal plan...it doesn't look the best, but it's WAY better than I was doing... :) )

If you reduce your carbs without increasing your protein or fat, then you're going to have low energy, because you're depriving your body of calories in general. Do you wonder why your car stalls out and won't start if you let the gas tank go empty? It's the same idea -- your body slows things down, including forcing you to slow down (get lethargic) if it doesn't have enough fuel.

If you reduce your carbs, you must increase your fats. Carbs and fat are fuel, protein is building blocks. Fat is also required for hormone function, cell structure, and nutrient creation and absorption.

Also, you don't need to eat every two hours. The meal timing thing is a myth, and depending on what is going on might actually be sabotaging your efforts (ie - if you have an issue with high insulin, eating will elevate it, which can keep it from going down enough to prompt the body to burn fat).

That said, what tests has your doctor ran? If s/he hasn't run anything at all, then I recommend getting a new doctor. You can't fly blind, especially with these off-the-wall dietary recommendations.

I recommend seeing to it that you get at least a metabolic panel, which should include at least fasting glucose, fasting insulin (not the same as glucose, and don't let them tell you it's the same), and cholesterol (the more comprehensive a panel you can get, the more data points you'll have to work with). Additionally, I recommend seeing about getting the cholesterol portion fully tested out (parts of it are usually calculated), which includes actual, measured LDL and LDL particle size (this isn't a huge deal right now, but will better show progress from the LCHF diet; you won't regret being more thorough right now). Also, get your thyroid checked, and not just TSH. You should get your Free T3, Free T4, and Reverse T3 tested, too. While your at it, see about getting your B12, D3, Iron, and Magnesium levels checked, as these are common deficiencies in women, and are often a factor in weight loss and energy levels.

A note on Iron deficiency -- Iron deficiency anemia actually has fatigue as a symptom, so here's a quick check to see if you might be anemic (if nothing else, gives you more ammo for getting the test from your doctor): look at your gums, tongue, and nail beds. What color are they? They should be pink. The darker, the better (well, to a point; actual red is a different matter). If they're pale or white, then you're very likely anemic and the fatigue may be at least partially due to lack of iron. Iron supplements are fairly inexpensive and available over the counter, so it's an easy thing to try.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/