So Confused, this has to stop.

Options
Hi All,

My story is likely a similar one to everyone else's. I've been overwhealmed with binge eating for the past three months (though the past month has by far been the worst) just after leaving a high-stress job that was leading me away from larger career goals. This behaviour and preoccupation with food is alarming and frustrating beyond belief and I want to nip it in the bud. I've gained ten pounds, and while I'm not overweight, I know that the longer this continues, the worse things - even beyond weight - are going to get. It's beyond miserable - I can't imagine continuing this way - and yet I don't know what to do to get out of it.

I've never experienced anything like this before in my life. I feel like it has sucked the soul out of me; every single day I find myself, at some point, face down in whatever I can get my paws on (though there are certain things that tend to set a serious downward spiral into motion - like peanut butter or ice cream, 'treats' I know are not necessarily good for me.) The day starts off so well, and it's as though after all the anxiety and stress and restlessness begin to trickle in, my grip weakens and boom - we're off to the races. I hate it. I meditate on it, I try to figure it out, I try to troubleshoot it, but every day is becoming more of the same, and every night I cry, I feel tormented by it, I just want it to stop - but it keeps repeating itself.

I've read SO MUCH and it seems the more I read, the worse things get - so so so much conflicting information. I've read books on mindfulness, anti-diet books (intuitive eating), books on binge eating, self-help as far as the eye can see. I'm guilty of following eating-dogmas; in the past I've been vegetarian, Mediterranean, and, more recently (and for much longer than anything else) primal. But with the onslaught of this behaviour, and more reading, I've just become more confused; I'm afraid to eat too little, to eat too much, I'm afraid of carbs, but I'm also afraid of fats, and I'm afraid of gaining more weight, and all of it just terrifies me until I reach the breaking point where I just eat everything. Then I snap out of it and wonder what the hell I was thinking, followed by an onslaught of guilt and regret. I don't know what to do - I don't know what or when or how to eat, and it consumes (no pun intended..) my entire day. "What am I going to eat next, when am I going to eat it, is it going to start a binge, is it going to be too much or too little, do I trust myself?" etcetera.

I try meditating. I try taking my dog for walks. I continue to do things I once REALLY enjoyed despite that they are not as enjoyable now. I'm an artist, and I can't even describe how much I miss spending my days thinking about art, making art, ENJOYING going to galleries, visiting with other artists..art was everywhere I looked and the entire world was one constant inspiration...now all I can think about is food, and am too ashamed of my body and my self to practically go out anymore. My self-esteem is absolutely shot. I want my life back =[

So I don't know what to do. I don't know how to approach this. I have no insurance and cannot afford to go to a therapist or seek professional help. But I already recognize that I cannot continue on this way, I don't want it to get any worse than it is. Yet I don't know where to turn.

My current approach, as of tonight, is this; I've set a schedule for myself for the next few days. This includes slotted times for eating pre-planned, well-rounded meals, to be eaten mindfully, free of distraction, slotted times for exercises I once-upon-a-time enjoyed (primarily a few runs each week, lots of walking the dog, a few hikes, yoga, and bodyweight-training), times for studio work, and times for 'winding down / meditating / reading / doing something I really want to do at the given time (which isn't eating)."

So I hope it's okay if I frequent this forum and update my progress and seek some support and feedback, I could really use it. Once I get this food diary thing going, I'll keep that open too.

Replies

• crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You're going through something really difficult right now. We all understand that, at the very least, and we'll be here for you while you work on your relationship with food and yourself. Focus on how you feel and less on the scale. Try and incorporate rewards for yourself that don't revolve around food. When you have a good day, reward yourself with a new book or a pedicure. Try and match walks or nights out in galleries to rewards for yourself. Start to associate the things you used to have fun with to the things you're aiming to accomplish. You can definitely do this. It's a slow and steady struggle, but it's definitely surmountable.
  • lgodwin413
    lgodwin413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I certainly relate to your post. It could have been mine. I've been struggling with disordered eating since my first diet. I've been on both ends of the spectrum....extremely underweight and now over. Every one is different and what works for one may not another. For me if I deprive myself of anything inevitably I will binge. Doing the exercise you enjoy is excellent and take it one day at a time. I hope today is good for you !
  • Thecoalmine
    Options
    Thanks so much for the kind replies folks, they are muchly appreciated.
    I didn't get to sleep until late last night (or, rather, early this morning) because my mind was so frantic. I was going to set an alarm to get up and go running but decided to let myself rest. And I'm glad I did - while I felt refreshed waking up, my stomach was in a few knots because of yesterday's binge. My first thoughts this morning were on food and rather than putting pressure on myself over them, I've sat down, told them "thanks for your concern but please be quiet now" and started doing some studies on a subject I've neglected for a while (language) and told myself that whenever I am hungry, I will eat. Now I'm having an afternoon coffee break and my stomach is growling and I'm full of renewed enthusiasm for this language after having walked away from it for so long.

So now that I'm physically hungry I'm going to have my usual breakfast (nonfat plain greek yoghurt with blueberries, flaxseed, almonds, and cinnamon), study for a bit longer, then take the dog on a walk in this beautiful weather. I feel optimistic!
  • Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Your story is similar to mine. I went from obesity to underweight / bulimia and while it seems the bulimia is beat, I still binge, but no longer purge. And we all know the shame felt after binging. What has helped me was counseling and medication (prozac). And the biggest thing was getting away from dieting / weighing / obsession with food & weight.
  • Thecoalmine
    Options
    Today almost almost almost went well. My day was detailed by a meeting called last minute over dinner with an organization I am doing some work with. I hadn't eaten dinner yet so I just told myself to roll with it. Chicken, spinach and broccoli. I was satisfied and not craving anything else but was anxious to get out. Well in the midst of the meeting an aunt called and said she needed me to come fix something for her - so off I went. There she tried relentlessly to pawn scones and cake off on me after I fixed her faucet, and while I was insistent on my "no thank you" my anxiety was getting worse. Then I couldn't get out of there - mind you I love my aunt dearly but it was 9:30 and between that and the meeting I just wanted to get home and relax. So I escaped the grasp of the scones narrowly to come home and find the house a wreck - housemates were sloppy drunk and made a disaster of the kitchen and were loud and roudy. Cue: binge. Couscous, primarily, lots of it (anything made with grains, especially wheat, is forbidden on my menu because they make me feel like death after I eat them, but they taste so good) followed by two spoonfuls of peanut butter, and then I put my foot down and walked away.

Now I'm outside with ginger tea trying my best not to guilt myself out. This is the usual pattern; the day starts so well and then by the evening unravels. I realize it could have been worse - I stopped myself. And this is good, and I remain optimistic for tomorrow, but I can't say it's not discouraging and beyond frustrating. Blargh!
  • Thecoalmine
    Options
    Good report for the day - no binges!

I was hardly even tempted. I'm not even sure how! I think there was one point while I was cooking dinner that I really had to restrain myself from eating whatever was in sight - more because I was legitimately hungry than anything else - but I didn't. After dinner (trout, sweet potato, and spinach), I didn't have any urges at all, and that's usually when I'm at my worst; my sweet tooth just throbs after dinner. But all I wanted was a cup of tea. I simply ate when I was hungry today, and stopped when I was full. I'm absolutely perplexed by how easy it was, it's hard to believe. I hardly even thought about food at all in between meals!

I realized, at some point last night, that I have a tendency to rush - not just with eating, but with everything; visits to friends and family, work, art, reading, walking the dog, exercising, everything, as if I'm in some great big hurry to get somewhere. So I put forth an effort to slow things down today, and I think that the mindfulness of that helped. I also made sure to do things I wanted to do, and it turned out to be a really productive day.

I'm not counting my eggs before they're hatched, but every good day is great.
    Now I'm going to sit on the sofa and watch TV. This isn't something I usually do, I have a live-work situation and it's often hard to tell myself that it's okay to not be in work mode. I don't even remember the last time I let myself watch TV.
  • Thecoalmine
    Options
    Oh tonight was not so good.

I don't know exactly what caused it. I think a mix of boredom, restlessness, and anxiety because I didn't get nearly as much done today as I set out to. The good news is that I haven't had sugar in about four days - but the bad news is a binge is still a binge no matter what is eaten. I could probably binge on plain lettuce! Alas, I will pretend it never happened and do my best not to beat myself up; every moment is a new moment. Every moment brings the opportunity to change direction. Tonight is run night, so I'll do that and I'll carry on and keep insisting on success, and that I am stronger and smarter than whatever subconscious forces are at play.