Recently diagnosed - success stories?!

Hi there!

I'm recently diagnosed as borderline hypothyroid with both and endocrinologist and a GP keen to treat and give me my life back

My TSH was at 3.58 (0.27-4.2)
And fT4 was 11.9 (12-22).

I had significant elevated count of TPO and my endocrinologist has diagnosed me with Hashimoto's disease.
My GP has decided that 25mg of Levo is a good start for now. I start it in the morning!!

I'm also suffering from chronic anaemia, so I'm on 605mg of iron a day too) with vitamin C and D.
My B12 and folate ranges are great.

Basically I've put on about 14lbs. I'm desperate to get these off. My diet is already mega strict and I hardly eat anything - I'm more often than not hungry.
I was hoping for encouragement. I've seen a lot of negative feedback and was looking for a bit of motivation to feel better and know that I can do this - even at just a pound or two a week! Anything is better than maintaining or gaining. Anything.

Anything you can advise is amazing.
After all - we are the experts!

Replies

• Sergette1
    Sergette1 Posts: 27 Member
    Really looking forward for the answers!!
  • thatredheadedBAMF
    thatredheadedBAMF Posts: 25 Member
    HI! I remember you from your other thread. I'm glad you have a diagnosis and have started on the replacement hormones. Hopefully your doctor mentioned this, but if not: wait 4-8 hours after your levo before taking your vitamins. They interfere with the absorption of the thyroid hormones. Also, it takes 6-8 weeks for thyroid hormones to take effect, so your symptoms aren't going to be healed overnight, or even after 6-8 weeks. This may also not be the optimal dose for you, so there may be additional medication adjustments. Patience is your BFF in this situation.

If your diet is already balanced/contains a lot of fresh foods, and your calories are appropriate for your height/weight, just that is already in your favor. Log your food. Log everything, even though you said you hardly eat anything, log it anyway. Diet is the biggest factor.

Are you exercising? I know it can be really hard when you are struggling with fatigue, but just doing something for 15-30 minutes most days of the week is a great start. I still have low days when I don't want to work out at all, but I often get energized once I get going and it can help with that low-level hypo depression too.

The weight will come off eventually; as I said in my other thread, I lost a lot of weight after being diagnosed hypo but it took much longer than it would for a person with a normal metabolism.

Caveat for those who can see my diary: my dose got all messed up because of the Levoxyl recall, I went hypo (5.4!) and I've only been out of the hypo range for a couple of months. I'm supposed to be below 1 as a thyca patient. I put on a bit of weight myself and have been unable to lose as well. In fact, the last few months are the only time I have ever logged. I didn't log at all when I originally lost weight. It's a life-long struggle and process, so do something you can live with!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I lost way more slowly than most MFPers (30 lbs. in 18 months). So be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. (My thyroid levels only recently entered the "normal range.")

Read the Sexypants link. And take "before" measurements & photos! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • novespecial
    novespecial Posts: 28 Member
    Keep at it. And log and track. I just got off a stretch of hyper and I am now borderline hypo with some other issues going on. My tsh was 3,.6 down from 4.3 a month ago. I am not on meds. As my endo thinks things will level out and I have no or very minor symptoms. I do have hashis also. He said many people with hashis have no symptoms. I didnt know that. Anyway, I have lost about 4 pounds since June 1. Very slow as was already mentioned.

When I went hyper I lost 10 pounds in less then a week. Those 10 came back really quick when I dipped low, but I can also say my diet sucked. Was in the mentality of I can eat whatever I want. Had I kept my diet in check I might have put half of that back but not the whole 10. I do believe the thyroid def wreaks havoc on your metabolism but it can not be blamed exclusively for not being able to lose.

Tracking honestly is the best advice as anytime I lose weight it is because I am honestly logging.

Good luck and hang in there.
  • Nadoriel
    Nadoriel Posts: 59 Member
    Hey ^^ I lost around 11kg in... 7 months approximately. The first were easy to loose, and the last took a bit longer. I believe I'm probably on my range at the moment, so I'm just concerned in loosing body fat and let my weight flunctuate a bit around these values.

Either way, everyone can do it, it depends on diet and exercise. Control them both and you can control it ^^ Also, it helps exercising with something you like.. It's so hard sometimes just to leave the house and do something. So you better like it, for extra motivation.
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Sorry to say we really have to watch what we eat along with counting calories. Sugar is my enemy, I feel horrible if I over do it. Add some strength training along with cardio. Helps the metabolism greatly. Keep at it and good luck.