Turbo trainer yes or no?

Options
Helenca76
Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
I need to get back on my bike but it is getting too damn hot, 6am today was 30 degree heat and also due to the kids at home, I can't go out any earlier (that and I really just can't get out of bed any earlier, it's school holidays, think I have earned a little bit of a sleep in!)

So I am looking at getting a turbo trainer but was told they can do a lot of damage to the frame where the bike fits on to the trainer.
I don't know anyone with a TT so am looking for info, pros and cons.

Thanks

Helen

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I haven't damaged my frame on my turbo trainer :huh: I've used my carbon framed bike on my turbo for 2 winters without any issues...

Dunno where you heard that?

You need a special quick release skewer to replace the original one; this has larger contact points on it to fasten into the trainer...

99431_1.jpg
  • Helenca76
    Options
    Have read in a magazine that TT's are not good for a carbon framed bike but I have found an article and done a little research and will be purchasing a TT when I get back to the UK as they cost a freaking fortune out here.

http://www.220triathlon.com/training/bike/can-riding-on-a-turbo-trainer-damage-your-carbon-bike/8568.html

I will just make sure it's set up properly :smile:

Thanks for info on the quick release skewer, have ordered one today.
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As already stated by the others, a properly setup carbon bike properly fitted in a turbo trainer should be fine. My trainer (fluid trainer) came with a skewer made specifically for that trainer. The fit is perfect. That being said there is still no way to assure there will never be damage. A friend of mine had his turbo trainer blow apart during use last year and a piece of metal came flying off and smashed his chain stay. He had a carbon fiber shop repair the bike frame but I know he never felt totally secure on the bike again and soon replaced the frame.

I find the main draw back on turbo trainers isn't the bike fit or safety it is pure boredom. I actually enjoy my time on the trainer by using training DVD's with great music soundtracks. I use the Sufferfest series of DVD's but there are others out there. Some folks in my riding group prefer to just pop in a movie or just watch TV while listing to music from and iPod. What ever gets you through the winter months or bad weather days is a good thing.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Two people I know have sub-20 bikes and use their Trainers every winter. They are hard-core bikers. They wouldn't use em if they were damaging their bikes.

Get yourself a Trainer and have at it! :wink:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I find the main draw back on turbo trainers isn't the bike fit or safety it is pure boredom.

Agreed! Standard Turbo's are BORING! I have a Tacx Genius (http://youtu.be/qcxq-fGN30w) which costs as much as a budget Carbon Bike TBH, but well worth the money IMHO - The Wahoo Kickr (http://youtu.be/ow1_f7ee18M) is the new kid on the block, they are supposed to be superb and it alleviates the requirement for a 'turbo specific tyre' as the rear wheel isn't used, but it's all down to budget at the end of the day...
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I need to get back on my bike but it is getting too damn hot, 6am today was 30 degree heat and also due to the kids at home, I can't go out any earlier (that and I really just can't get out of bed any earlier, it's school holidays, think I have earned a little bit of a sleep in!)

So I am looking at getting a turbo trainer but was told they can do a lot of damage to the frame where the bike fits on to the trainer.

Thanks

Helen
    I've never heard the damage rumor either. I have a carbon bike, and I put hella miles on the trainer this year with no ill effects on the bike except for quick wear on the rear tire. I will say that riding the on the trainer is pure torture when you're not accustomed to it, but if it fits your needs you'll make it happen. Once I transitioned my daily week morning rides to the road, I've only used it on rainy days. I don't mean to sound harsh...but if you're already finding excuses why you can't ride, you will never make much use of the trainer. Don't waste your money. I have kids at home, it is terribly hot and humid where I live, and I love my sleep...but I have milage goals and I make it happen. But if you're serious about getting back on the bike, the trainer is a great platform for that.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that if you're saying it's too hot to ride the bike outside, you'd be looking at using the turbo in ab air conditioned room... Because I use my turbo in a un heated garage in the winter, have two big f-off fans pointing at me, and still end up mopping up around 3 pints of sweat from the floor after a decent session... Indoors, in 30c ambient, frankly you'd be hitting heatstroke levels in 30 minutes without having aircon AND substantial forced air systems.

I think the rumours of problems with carbon frames came from the older kit that had bonded in aluminium rear dropouts , but again, I know plenty of people with high end bikes that use them on the turbo without problems.

Personally, if I was in the market for a trainer at the moment, is be sorely tempted by the wahoo kickr, partly because you don't need to far around swapping tyres, or keeping a dedicated trainer rear wheel, but Also because of the clever way it integrates with various training applications like TrainerRoad (and by extension, the sufferfest videos)
  • Helenca76
    Options
    I'm assuming that if you're saying it's too hot to ride the bike outside, you'd be looking at using the turbo in ab air conditioned room... Because I use my turbo in a un heated garage in the winter, have two big f-off fans pointing at me, and still end up mopping up around 3 pints of sweat from the floor after a decent session... Indoors, in 30c ambient, frankly you'd be hitting heatstroke levels in 30 minutes without having aircon AND substantial forced air systems.

I think the rumours of problems with carbon frames came from the older kit that had bonded in aluminium rear dropouts , but again, I know plenty of people with high end bikes that use them on the turbo without problems.

Personally, if I was in the market for a trainer at the moment, is be sorely tempted by the wahoo kickr, partly because you don't need to far around swapping tyres, or keeping a dedicated trainer rear wheel, but Also because of the clever way it integrates with various training applications like TrainerRoad (and by extension, the sufferfest videos)

Will be shopping around and need to convince the husband to buy the best one we can afford but will look into the wahoo kickr.

Temperature is stupid hot at the moment, last week was 50-52 degrees and this week it's a cooler 46-48, I will be directly underneath the air-con!
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Helenca76
    Options

Thanks

Helen
    I've never heard the damage rumor either. I have a carbon bike, and I put hella miles on the trainer this year with no ill effects on the bike except for quick wear on the rear tire. I will say that riding the on the trainer is pure torture when you're not accustomed to it, but if it fits your needs you'll make it happen. Once I transitioned my daily week morning rides to the road, I've only used it on rainy days. I don't mean to sound harsh...but if you're already finding excuses why you can't ride, you will never make much use of the trainer. Don't waste your money. I have kids at home, it is terribly hot and humid where I live, and I love my sleep...but I have milage goals and I make it happen. But if you're serious about getting back on the bike, the trainer is a great platform for that.

I hope to make much use of the trainer, my fitness is important and am not trying to make excuses, honest and I haven't taken it harshly, but we are all different, personally, I really struggle to cycle in 40+ degree heat, even at 7am it was 40 degrees today. I am sticking to my exercise videos and fitting in classes where possible and just want to keep up the cycling as I enjoy it.
  • Lukejacksmum
    Lukejacksmum Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Anyone rich enough to have a wattbike? If I win the lottery I fancy one :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    actually, when you figure in the cost of the Tacx Bushido, the spare wheel and trainer tyre, and a few of the Real-Life-Video training things, not to mention the cost of the dedicated laptop I bought to make it work, I think i'm far deeper in hock than the cost of a Wattbike...
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Personally I love the KickR with ipad software combination a joy to use, it's a real blessing to have that option when you just can't ride out for various reasons, no chance of bike issues as the bike is locked to the Turbo, it's solid as a rock and the best option on the market in my opinion.