Beginning bench set?

Options
violet976
violet976 Posts: 310 Member
I'm completely new to weight lifting. So far my exercise routine has been very mild - a few mile uphill walk daily, some bicycling, beginner dvds. My overall goal is not to lose weight but to tone up. I'd prefer to gain weight, but as I've been very inactive the past 10 years many of my previously firm areas have turned, well, jiggly.

I'm honestly not sure where to begin, but I definitely want to incorporate weights and work out at home. My reading so far seems to point in the direction of at least a weight bench, but I'd like to get opinions to make sure I'm buying the right starting point.

I can currently do under 10 or so standard pushups with good form, not a single pull up, and have trouble with squats/lunges due to some knee pains. Would something like this be the proper starting point for me, or should I be looking for something else?
http://medford.craigslist.org/spo/4566437535.html

Ideally, my target zones are my butt and thighs, but I certainly wouldn't mind a little toning up everywhere else as well.

Replies

• violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and purchased the above set. I figure it was priced reasonable, in my opinion, for a bench, the weights, and two barbells. I'm told the weights range from 2.5 pounds+, and that all together the included weights can go up to 300 pounds total which seemed more than enough for little ol' me. The bench is also adjustable at a few incline levels, which I read was a plus.

If anyone has advice for a beginner looking to achieve all over toning, with butt/thighs as my major trouble areas, it would be much appreciated. I've never worked out on any equipment like this so I'm not even familiar with what exercises to do. I'm currently 5 foot 5, weighing 109 pounds, and other than some flabby areas around the thighs and bum I really need muscle toning more than anything.