Question on AIC test from low carber

Options
dorie577
dorie577 Posts: 25 Member
Okay I need to ask a question. In fall of 2012 my doctor told me I was prediabetic and would need to lose weight. So I have been low carb for the past 19 months.

My AiC results are - before low carb 5.7 with 5.8 as the last normal number in the range
after low car 5.4 with 5.6 as the last normal number in the range

So I am better by .1

My Estimated Average Glucose - before low carb. 125.6 and 129.2 is the high end of normal so 3.6 away
after low carb 108.3 and 114 is the high end of normal so 5.7 away

better by 2.1

Now before low carb, I was eating Edward's Pies, you know those cream pies, and putting extra carmel on them, load of chips and cheetos, lot of potatoes, and a big fan of bread. Oh and I like slices of red velvet cake.

So in the last year and a half - none of this. My carbs come from nuts, 1 serving of fruit, greens. A few carbs from my half and half in my coffee. I basically stay around 50-70 carbs.

I am glad they are better, but should I not have seen lower numbers. I still feel like I am knocking at the door.

I have lost close to 70 lbs and at that time had been doing a lot of exercise - averaging about 90 mins a day at the gym for the 2 months prior to the test.

Thank you for info you can provide

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    Options
    You've made excellent changes in your food choices, you've lost weight, and you're consistently exercising. That's wonderful! You're keeping your A1c below 5.7 which is right where you want to be. Have you talked about your concerns with your doctor to get her suggestions? ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • dorie577
    dorie577 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No, unless I have a medical need, I won't have another appt for a year at least.

I just thought my latest numbers should have been better, reduced more
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Note that the A1C test is basically an average of your blood glucose over the last three months. So it is not an average over the last 2 years.

I would discuss with your DR as Lynn suggests. Weather you are diabetic, pre-diabetic, or non-diabetic it is wise to eat more healthy like you have been doing; for the rest of your life. Your numbers are not bad.
  • life_enthusiast
    life_enthusiast Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Anything you can do to lower your A1C is a good thing and you've done a great job of adjusting what you eat and adding in exercise. Congratulations! I would definitely ask your Doctor about your concerns, next time you go in (or if you can e-mail, shoot one over and see what you get).

When it comes to insulin resistance, everyone is different. You may not drop fast. You may just need to give it time. It sounds like you are doing everything you can do to get your numbers down and they are responding. So, you might just need to wait and see if they go down further.

I have no scientific information to back this up, but it's my belief that we all have a place where we level out and can't go any further. We're insulin resistant and no matter how hard we work, our bodies can only do so much to help us. You are still in pre-diabetic ranges and having lost all that weight, you have the potential to stay there for a very long time without medication.

Bottom line. You're doing great! And your numbers show it. No need to worry or work harder. Keep riding the wave and see where it takes you.