Fitness Challenge Week Three

Options
Well hello everyone!

I was very encouraged by our weigh in on Friday. Seems like we all had a great week whether by losing or by completing last weeks challenge. Again I say DO NOT fret if the scale was a little unkind by not budging for you, or by adding a few digits extra...it is very possible that you are building muscle, so just hang in there!

If you're new to the group, welcome! Don't let the titled week number discourage you from participating...I am just keeping track of the weeks in this month. Next month I will just begin to list them by date....but for now, I have decided to keep up with the way things have been going because I had an epiphany as far as this months challenges go:

A series....

[OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....Hold for applause]

That's right all, so if you were glad to see Sunday because you thought you were gonna be able to say good bye to that dreaded workout maneuver "the crunch" don't celebrate just yet!

We're going to keep going.....Now, that we have kicked off the Fitness Challenge on the proper day (yay for starting on Sunday!) we have all seven days to hit goal. And just what is our goal? Well, I'm glad you asked.

We're going to keep last weeks set standard goal of 250 crunches for this week. We now have all seven days to hit it, so that's going to be roughly 36 crunches per day. We're also going to build on our nasty little friend the crunch and we'll be adding in another oldie but goodie...the jumping jack. And because jumping jacks are so super easy, we'll set the goal at 350 for the week, which will have us at a goal of hitting 50 per day.

Now let's not be fooled...I know IN THEORY this sounds easy, but trust me when I tell you that at around jumping jack number 25 its gonna start to get a little crucial! Do not be surprised if this weeks challenge leaves you winded and even works up a bit of a sweat for you. If you have to break them up throughout the day, by all means go ahead. Wake up and do half in the morning, and the other half before bed. Do them as a pre-gym heart pumping warm up if you'd like. However you need to work them out to get them done, handle it!

Now that we're building up the "set" so to speak, we are going to actually be burning some calories. [According to an article on Livestrong, a 150-pound person will burn about 5.1 calories per minute and a 200-pound person will burn about 6.8 calories per minute while doing jumping jacks].Of course, it's not much, but it's going to get you moving and gear your body for a burn process. Also remember that the name of the game is to boost your fitness levels, and these little incorporations into your daily routine do ultimately have a HUGE impact, so let's get excited about this week and the fact that we are building up a simple, FREE, work out plan that we all can do, and encourage each other to commit to!

As always, if you have any medical issues that prohibit you from doing these exercises, please inbox me, and I will provide some alternatives. Also, my beautiful plus sized Divas, please make sure to...um...strap your "girls" down properly before attempting this weeks challenge. I tested the workout myself this morning without the appropriate "confinements" and I almost gave myself a black eye....so please be mindful of safety precautions!

Let's hit it team! 36 crunches and 50 jacks per day....and go!

How to perform a jumping jack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmYwZH_BNd0

How to perform a crunch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyd_fa5zoEU

Livestrong article on Jumping Jacks:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/312289-burned-calories-per-jumping-jack/

Replies

• kelieprincess
    kelieprincess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oooooooh I hate jumping jacks lol but I'm game!
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of building a set! I didn't make it to 250 crunches last week, but I did get to 130, which is more than I've done in the last...I don't know how long. Years. When I did them first thing in the morning, it was a piece of cake. So now I'll do my crunches and my jumping jacks first thing and start my day off with a bang.
  • kelieprincess
    Options
    60 crunches, 50 jumping jacks (ohh they hurt!) and 30 minutes on the stationary bike already done today. Hoping to go swimming later, but because I've only just learnt how to swim I don't mark down a full hour and a half as I have quite a few breaks :)
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Great challenge! I'm up for it!
  • Kate741
    Kate741 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am in. Even though I didn't see this until today, I will get them in.

Happy Monday :smile:

Kathy
  • melifornia
    Options
    50 crunches & 50 jumping jacks done.

Man, those jumping jacks were a bear at the end! Crunches are getting easier, though!
  • kisseso3
    kisseso3 Posts: 36
    Options
    I just started the 30 Day Crunch Challenge, so we'll see if I do an additional 36 each day or just add to it to make it 36. 50 jumping jacks might kill me but I'll do them till I get it.

Thank you for setting up weekly challenges. They make it fun and a great new goals to set.
  • llysenw
    llysenw Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well, I only made it to 200 crunches last week, let's see if I can get them all in this week.

Just finished 50 jumping jacks.
  • phelan999
    phelan999 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Two days done. I added a 2 mile walk today. I like this challenge :smile:
  • TiffBengston
    TiffBengston Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good idea to keep the exercise sets going! I REALLY don't enjoy jumping jacks.........but I know they are a huge calorie burner and also are a great way to ignite your metabolism! I will add them to my gym routine and then again at night........
  • Kate741
    Kate741 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    50 crunches last night. Jumping jacks were surprisingly hard but got them in too. I appreciate everyone's support and encouragement.

Kathy :smile:
  • melifornia
    Options
    Another 50 of each done this morning for a total of 100 crunches and 100 jumping jacks.
  • kelieprincess
    Options
    Weekly total so far: 120 crunches, 100 jumping jacks... I hate them!! lol :)
  • kisseso3
    kisseso3 Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm not going to lie, I'm not making up for missing Sunday, but I do intend to do 36 crunches (maybe more) and 50 jumping jacks everyday this week.
  • llysenw
    llysenw Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Phew! I really, really did *not* want to do these today, but...I managed somehow.

today: 50 jacks & 50 crunches

(weekly total: 100 jj, 50 crunches)
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I clearly do not check in to this group enough! The challenge is 250 crunches and 350 jumping jacks! The jumping jacks will be fine not sure about those crunches though! I didn't make it last time... only got to 90. I'll try again though I have lost some days! Thanks for the challenge!

-LUOY :flowerforyou:
  • melifornia
    Options
    Another 50 of each today, bringing this week's total so far up to 150 jumping jacks and 150 crunches.

I'm starting to feel the muscles in my abdomen tightening, and it's a little easier to keep good posture throughout the day. Nothing to report on the jumping jacks yet, except that it's getting easier to power through and do the whole set without stopping.
  • melifornia
    Options
    50 jumping jacks and 50 crunches this morning, bringing me up to 200 of each. Who am I?!?
  • melifornia
    Options
    Another 50 of each, bringing me up to 250 jumping jacks and 250 crunches. I think I'll keep doing crunches, but switch to obliques for the next couple of days while I finish the jumping jack challenge.
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Hello everyone,

My apologies for being absent this week, but I had A LOT going on.

I am very encourages to see you all taking part in and enjoying the challenge. Two days left to get some in or complete.

For future reference I will make it a point to post challenges at the start of the week (Sunday), so be sure to check in on this day to allow yourself the full week to complete whatever is set forth.

Keep up the great job everyone. Hope everyone has a great weigh in today. The scale did not move for me this week, although I actually did four straight work outs...headed for one final one before I head to the doctors office for official weigh in. My husband did make a comment to me this morning however saying that I look so "solid." Men! lol But I'll take it and the definition beginning to form in my calves as a sign that muscle building is definitely taking place. So, we'll see what the measuring tape says on inchs at the docs. I'll be coming back to post in our weekly weigh in thread. Wish me luck.

Keep up the great work all!