How do you define a "hilly" course

Options
2»

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    This was the first half of my first half marathon. It was an out and back so we got to do most of that twice. I considered it pretty ****ing hilly. Not compared to stuff in more mountainous areas but it was really tough. It didn't help much that it was in the 70s and humid (nice December weather). It was fun though.

halfofSpicewoodHalf_zps7be59d96.jpg

Like others have said, everything's relative. There are "hills" in almost all of my runs in my neighborhood. Most of them aren't very high but they're steep for short distances.

This is a 5K loop from my house. This is the direction I usually run it but sometimes I'll go the other way. Some days it feels hillier than others. Usually depending on whether it's an easy run or if it's closer to 5K pace. At race pace it's pretty hilly.

AtHome5KElevation_zpsc28e8e96.jpg
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the first half I ever ran:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/monticello-ky/runthebluegrass-half-marathon-course-route-34638284

I had a Marine friend look at it and read the elevation map for me - I didn't know what those numbers would translate to and needed an experienced runner to help. He told me "gentle rolling hills and the second half would be mostly flat". I thought COOL and signed up.

OH. EM. GEE.

Gently rolling my butt. Flat? Are you kidding me? It was AWFUL. I knew I was in trouble when I was standing in line at the porta potties and the girl behind me goes "yeah, I run 30 halfs a year and this one is the hardest".

I made it though, and learned a couple things. 1. Every other run in my life can be considered flat. 2. Never again will I trust someone who runs stairs for fun to read an elevation chart.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/monticello-ky/runthebluegrass-half-marathon-course-route-34638284

I had a Marine friend look at it and read the elevation map for me - I didn't know what those numbers would translate to and needed an experienced runner to help. He told me "gentle rolling hills and the second half would be mostly flat". I thought COOL and signed up.

OH. EM. GEE.

Gently rolling my butt. Flat? Are you kidding me? It was AWFUL. I knew I was in trouble when I was standing in line at the porta potties and the girl behind me goes "yeah, I run 30 halfs a year and this one is the hardest".

I made it though, and learned a couple things. 1. Every other run in my life can be considered flat. 2. Never again will I trust someone who runs stairs for fun to read an elevation chart.

Bwahahaha.... sorry I know I shouldn't laugh, but once I looked at the course elevation map, I realised I probably would have given you a similar response as your marine friend. I think my 10k local street loop is as hilly if not worse than the entirety of your half.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

OH. EM. GEE.

Bwahahaha.... sorry I know I shouldn't laugh, but once I looked at the course elevation map, I realised I probably would have given you a similar response as your marine friend. I think my 10k local street loop is as hilly if not worse than the entirety of your half.

LOL I'm really interested to see how my perspective changes when I run this race again in 2015. The elevation chart didn't really do it justice though. The actual vs the expected was totally different. As a first time racer, it was definitely a doozy, and it didn't help that it poured rain and was 35* F the whole time. Cold, wet, hilly, and miserable. But, like I said, I'll be back to run it again next year - it will be a real test of how much I've grown as a runner!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your perspective....

http://itsallaboutthevertical.wordpress.com/2014/07/12/kilians-world-view-hardrock-100/

If anyone out there can actually post the photo, that would be awesome. I'm technically challenged. As some background, Killian smashed the hardrock 100 course record yesterday (almost 33k of climb) all while taking pictures along the course and generally looking like he was out for an easy training run.

hardrock-100-elevation-chart-clockwise.jpg
    killian-hardrock-profile.jpg?w=625&h=449
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Copper Mountain. ???? LOL
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Lmao I'm a wuss. If I run 7 miles and it's a 100+ foot climb its hilly. 200 super hilly... 300+ hills of death.. 0-50 flat lol
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, likitisplit! Silverton ---> Telluride = Flat....bwahahahahaha!
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Nevermind :blushing:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If I put it on Map My Run and the hill elevation line starts to look more and more straight up... that's hilly. For me, it's not so much the elevation as the distance of that elevation, if that makes sense. A few hundred feet over a mile is fine. A few hundred feet over .1-.3 of a mile? Ouch. (Starting to fear the 1/3 mile 7-9% incline of the Bix 7 that's coming up in a couple weeks. Ooooooh boy. Doing steep, rolling hill repeats to prepare.)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Simple. If it's outside Illinois, it's hilly. Well to me, anyway. :-P
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely relative. For road races, when there is a hill you are scared you might have to walk, I often say "that's a hilly course!" :) My upcoming marathon has just over 1200 feet and I'm definitely calling it a hilly course. The hills come in the back half, which people tell me is what poses the real challenge.

The relative part: courses I used to think were super hilly I now find to be just a little hilly. There's a course we run every week that we nicknamed "Hills of Hell." Now, the name seems a little silly, but we keep it anyway. All in one's perspective!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The RNR Raleigh pretty much sucked. It was pretty hilly and hot. I don't mind the hills as much as the lack of shade.

I do have to giggle every time about my favorite moment.

It is mile 11, we come around a corner that you can't see around and look up: a pretty steep and long freaking hill. The guy behind me says "Oh ****." I just start to laugh. My thoughts exactly dude!