For today Jul 14th

Options
GrokRockStar
GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself “I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.”…You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“For today: The help I need to deal with fear is available in the twelve step program, the OA members and the tools. Ami I using that help?”

I love this reading on fear (false evidence appearing real)! Fear keeps us in the darkness of this disease. Remember that you are not alone in this. Do not fear rejection when seeking a sponsor. Do not fear admitting your powerlessness, don not fear turning your disorder over o your Higher Power, do not fear facing your demons. Confront and conquer everything that it holding you back from recovery. It’s easier said than done without the steps of OA, so take advantage of the tools to help you deal with your addictions.

Have a great, abstinent day, everyone!

Replies

• susanlovesfitness
    susanlovesfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Learning in OA, that you can not do this alone has been the biggest factor for me. It seems as though trying to do it alone, says that you are in the dark about your disease, you are afraid and fearful of the disease and you are still trying to run the show with yourself and the disease. When you come to realize that you no longer fear and will face it, is when you truly can tackle what is happening.

OA has any tools and the 12 steps is the tools, email, text, phone meetings, online meetings, sponsors, members, we are all here to help and to recover from this addiction and madness
    Nothing can be done without your HP, placing your fear into the hands of your HP.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Well said, Susan, especially the part about our tools of recovery. How could we fail if we're utilizing the tools fully? Thanks for your input!
  • traceyandelliemay
    traceyandelliemay Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this last night i was at a meeting and the topic was fear. Im scared to ho in public as i was always the thin one well not always but the majority of my adult life i gained 10kgs from quitting smoking what seems like overnight my diet stayed the same myactivity and stress levels ddropped though i noticed once i came off nrt i put on im now back to my old ways as a teen taking laxatives and diet pills. Im a healthy weight see pic but to me i think otherwise i don't want to ho in public constant fear even at meetings when i share i think people think what a fatty she wouldn't of starved. My diet is so restricted its sugar free gluten dairy free and vegan. Except for fish i also obsess on nutritional value. I know i have a whacked eating disorder and the thing is in the last few weeks of being back at o. A i am actually improving like i take Lil miss to pre school. I've also learnt that eating 9 oranges at once doesn't make me the worst person in the world. Like my partner said you could of gone out and brought a bottle of burbon weed smokes and drugs but u had a minor binge. Im starting to see the sense in it especially when he puts it like that as doon as i have extra than 3meals i take laxatives so todaymy goal is to stick to 3 meals i have planned. :)
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Tracey, it sounds like you’ve been on a rollercoaster with your eating and the diet aids. Some people don’t do well with counting. In the past I used to weigh and measure food as a part of my abstinence, but doing so added to my obsession. We have all different levels of compulsive overeating, so what works for you, may not work for me. My sponsor gave me the freedom to define my abstinence, which fits within my lifestyle, and addresses my food and emotional triggers. I do the same for my sponsees.
    As COEs, we can binge on healthy food too, even oranges. The goal is to address what is causing us to obsess and we can accomplish that through the tools of OA. I had a fear of failure, fear of success, and fear of judgment from others, which this program helped me to let go. Even when I reach a healthy weight (working on it), I know that the obsession will never leave me, it may be quiet, waiting to attack, so I plan on never letting my guard down and arming myself with the tools to remain abstinent.
    Btw, I recently changed my food plan (w/my Sponsor’s approval) to Vegan for health and ethical reasons. I’m 5 days in and feeling great!
  • traceyandelliemay
    Options
    Good on ya for going vegan. You do feel much better being vegan and its less work for your digestive system there's actually articles on google explaining how humans were designed to be herbivores i did mine for animal rights i was vegetarian ad much as possiblefrom 12 oonwards after my dad made me eat my pet cow. Then transitioned to vegan from 18-19 im 26 now. :-) my coe is whacked but ive found with every meeting and every time im in contact with o. A people i improve. :-) and that is an absolute miracle. With my food I've been writing it down and then logging it on here. Feel free to have a look i sometimes doubt if its good enough im focusing on 3 meals a day no skipping no binging. No over exercising no laxatives. 2days in so far and everyday i remain abstinence i feel heaps better! :) your right about binge foods. When im hard out in it i could eat anything! Morals ho out the door and i don't care about animal rights and my coeliacs. Then i feel like the worst person in the world and punish myself for it. I haven't been like that for quite some time so that's good :-) your very wise how long have you been part of o. A for?
  • traceyandelliemay
    Options
    Good on ya for going vegan. You do feel much better being vegan and its less work for your digestive system there's actually articles on google explaining how humans were designed to be herbivores i did mine for animal rights i was vegetarian ad much as possiblefrom 12 oonwards after my dad made me eat my pet cow. Then transitioned to vegan from 18-19 im 26 now. :-) my coe is whacked but ive found with every meeting and every time im in contact with o. A people i improve. :-) and that is an absolute miracle. With my food I've been writing it down and then logging it on here. Feel free to have a look i sometimes doubt if its good enough im focusing on 3 meals a day no skipping no binging. No over exercising no laxatives. 2days in so far and everyday i remain abstinence i feel heaps better! :) your right about binge foods. When im hard out in it i could eat anything! Morals ho out the door and i don't care about animal rights and my coeliacs. Then i feel like the worst person in the world and punish myself for it. I haven't been like that for quite some time so that's good :-) your very wise how long have you been part of o. A for?
  • GrokRockStar
    Options

If 3 meals a day isn't working and you're obsessing over it, why not tweak it a little? I eat 5 times, with 3 heavier meals and two light snacks, otherwise, my blood sugar wouldn't like me too much.
    I've been in OA on/off for about 5 years. My longest stretch of abstinence was 3 years, but I relapsed earlier this year and back to counting the days again. So far my consistent abstinence has been over 4 months, and I have no plans of starting over. I have a couple of sponsees that I work with, which helps me stay on track as well as meetings, podcasts, and reading the BB regularly.

ETA: Suprisingly eating Vegan is lowering my blood sugar on its own. I don't miss meat, at least not right now, and after the things that i've seen, I have no plans to. I was always taught to eat by the low glycemic index, but the numbers I am seeing is contradicting that. My body seems to be happy for it.