ladies,,, compression suits and tri bra?

Options
dolcezza72
dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
Do you really need to wear a tri bra under a compression suit? I am chesty (38DDD) so normally going without a bra is NOT an option.This suit is so ( clears throat) tight that it doesn't feel like I need one, but I don't want to get half way through my tri and realize I needed one? What are your thoughts? My suit is 2xu. Does it hold you in place?

Thanks

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'd be pretty hesitant to go without although I'd be buying one ASAP if you can.
    My own tri suit doesn't provide enough support.

I'm here to see responses but can you try it before the race?
  • dolcezza72
    Options
    I will probably have to try it out. Although I don't want to run around my neighborhood in that suit... at least not yet anyway. I need to get over that quickly!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wear a tri suit without a bra.
  • dolcezza72
    Options
    Ok. Adding it to the list! Triathlon poor right here! Lol! I used to have extra money, now I am training for a tri.... :)
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i would drive somewhere that is relatively uninhabited and go for a run in the suit without a bra to see if it works. no reason to have extra clothes on if you don't need them! and of course.. no reason to fork out cash if you don't need to. i did my first tri (sprint) in a regular sports bra and it was fine. not sure what the draw of a tri bra is (perhaps it's quick dry) but i guess i'll have to find out soon..
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    i would drive somewhere that is relatively uninhabited and go for a run in the suit without a bra to see if it works. no reason to have extra clothes on if you don't need them! and of course.. no reason to fork out cash if you don't need to. i did my first tri (sprint) in a regular sports bra and it was fine. not sure what the draw of a tri bra is (perhaps it's quick dry) but i guess i'll have to find out soon..

Oh I missed that. Yeah, I've never used a tri bri, actually didn't know that was a thing. I just use my regular sports bras.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    FWIW I have clients that just wear a good sports bra (tri specific or not). I don't think anyone goes w/o. Mostly so they can unzip the top when running and get some airflow.
  • dolcezza72
    Options
    FWIW I have clients that just wear a good sports bra (tri specific or not). I don't think anyone goes w/o. Mostly so they can unzip the top when running and get some airflow.

Well, it isn't that I would be going without a bra.... it has a bra like sewn into it already, so I am wondering if I need an extra one, and good to know about the regular sports bras.. cause the tri bra is like 70 dollars.

Thanks, guys!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Well, it isn't that I would be going without a bra.... it has a bra like sewn into it already, so I am wondering if I need an extra one, and good to know about the regular sports bras.. cause the tri bra is like 70 dollars.

Thanks, guys!

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference? Material, I assume?
  • dolcezza72
    Options

Thanks, guys!

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference? Material, I assume?

I am not totally sure, I am guessing that you are correct, the fabic must dry faster, but I will have to research it.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    A little late to the thread, but I just use my regular sports bra that I do all my runs in. It's basic black so it's pretty neutral with the clothes and I got over part of the straps showing. Lycra tends to stretch more when it is wet, and over time, which is why you want a tight suit in the water. Personally, I wouldn't count on anything in a tri suit holding in a 38DDD, and I have been that size. I suppose if it's an ACTUAL bra in there with shaping and so forth, and not just some shelf thingy that you are relying on tight sheet of fabric to hold you in...but I haven't seen anything like that in person yet. Even now, I'm a 36D and the only time I will wear a lycra top with only the built-in (WITH shaping seams) is if I'm just out on a bike ride. Then I feel like I'm out there naked and keep checking that I have clothes on.

FWIW, I saw a woman a couple weeks ago wearing just a Moving Comfort purple sports bra and bike shorts. She wasn't tiny, either. I think she put a top on when she got out of the water. It's a little odd, when you know it's a bra, but...how is that much different than a bikini top?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    A little late to the thread, but I just use my regular sports bra that I do all my runs in. It's basic black so it's pretty neutral with the clothes and I got over part of the straps showing. Lycra tends to stretch more when it is wet, and over time, which is why you want a tight suit in the water. Personally, I wouldn't count on anything in a tri suit holding in a 38DDD, and I have been that size. I suppose if it's an ACTUAL bra in there with shaping and so forth, and not just some shelf thingy that you are relying on tight sheet of fabric to hold you in...but I haven't seen anything like that in person yet. Even now, I'm a 36D and the only time I will wear a lycra top with only the built-in (WITH shaping seams) is if I'm just out on a bike ride. Then I feel like I'm out there naked and keep checking that I have clothes on.

FWIW, I saw a woman a couple weeks ago wearing just a Moving Comfort purple sports bra and bike shorts. She wasn't tiny, either. I think she put a top on when she got out of the water. It's a little odd, when you know it's a bra, but...how is that much different than a bikini top?

Lots of women did that for Ironman Mont Tremblant. I found a new style and colour Moving Comfort bra that I wanted while watching the swim transistion.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    something else to consider...one of my friends wore her tri-suit w/out a bra and it was rather see-thru when wet in the chest area....
  • dolcezza72
    Options
    something else to consider...one of my friends wore her tri-suit w/out a bra and it was rather see-thru when wet in the chest area....

I just got a 2XU white top, it has a bra sewn into it but it looks like it would be see through... that would be the WORST ever to have your suit be see through..... I am just gonna shell out for a better sports bra.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I just got a 2XU white top, it has a bra sewn into it but it looks like it would be see through... that would be the WORST ever to have your suit be see through..... I am just gonna shell out for a better sports bra.

Good move..telling her I could see her nips didn't exactly make her day :noway: