drinking while eating?

Options
Hi, I'm 7 weeks post RNY surgery and am wondering how much drinking while eating will really hurt me? I've tried to stop drinking 30 min. before, during and wait 30 min. after but, I need to drink while I eat. I can't help it. I'm worried i'm going to stretch my stoma! Advice is welcomed.

Paula =)
(down 43lbs and counting)

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to give you a little tough love here. If your surgeon and his team recommend that you do something, do it. They know what they are talking about and they know what works. Also, didn't you know prior to surgery that you would be instructed not to drink while you eat? That's part of WLS basics. I know you say you can't help it - but help it. You know what you signed up for. All people here can give you is opinion, not professional medical advice. Talk to your surgeon if you are having a problem with this. I am not trying to be mean, just honest.

ETA - Most of us prior to surgery drank while we ate. We had to learn to change. That's what this is all about, doing things differently because we weren't successful with what we did before.
  • prettiestpaula
    prettiestpaula Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat and drink after surgery. I did go through pre surgery counseling and had a nutritionist!! For me it is almost impossible to eat without drinking.. I gag, and cough and it's awful. If I could eat without choking everything down without having a glass of water I would! Do you think I want to sabotage my progress? My surgeon is out of the country right now. I don't see him for 3 months. At my last appointment this wasn't an issue because I was eating jello and drinking broth. As much as I appreciate your "tough love" I'm a tad annoyed because I'm not dumb and was fully aware of the "WLS basics." I was looking for ideas on how to get food down without coughing up a lung in the process and without relying on that glass of water to help. thanks.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi, Paula. I know how hard it is to not drink when eating. I'm almost two years post- RNY. And I still have to remind myself to stop drinking before meals! If I recall, I was a little behind the learning curve when it came to eating. I was still doing Greek yogurt and protein shakes at 7 weeks.

You might want to try more moist foods - things that can be moistened with broth or salad dressing might help, even blended soup can be used as a type of gravy. The suggestions might sound a little gross, but eventually swallowing gets easier. :smile:

Hope this helps a little!

Maggy
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat and drink after surgery. I did go through pre surgery counseling and had a nutritionist!! For me it is almost impossible to eat without drinking.. I gag, and cough and it's awful. If I could eat without choking everything down without having a glass of water I would! Do you think I want to sabotage my progress? My surgeon is out of the country right now. I don't see him for 3 months. At my last appointment this wasn't an issue because I was eating jello and drinking broth. As much as I appreciate your "tough love" I'm a tad annoyed because I'm not dumb and was fully aware of the "WLS basics." I was looking for ideas on how to get food down without coughing up a lung in the process and without relying on that glass of water to help. thanks.

You didn't mention your physical difficulties, you just said you "can't help it". No offense meant, and no need to spend energy on being annoyed. I am a blip on your computer. My advice is to still contact your surgeon's office. There is always someone there who can help. Good luck to you.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was told the reasons behind the drinking/eating rule are because 1) you either get full too quickly (drinking before/during eating) and don't get enough nutrition/want to snack later or 2) overeat (drinking during/after eating) because it washes your food through the stomach pouch instead of letting the pouch fill up and signal you that you are full. Obviously this can severely hamper your ability to lose weight.

Eating more moist foods should help (I'd add soft scrambled eggs and fish to the suggestions already posted), but especially since it is a physical issue, you really need to contact your doc's office or your nutritionist for suggestions and approved ways to compensate. I don't know how your doc is setup, but a lot of them have staffs just to answer questions like this, even when they aren't available themselves. They know people don't always have the same issues after surgery and they are there to help.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You are only 7 weeks so I will agree with the "moisten food" advice. Add a little gravey or sauce to your foods to help you out. Really try to avoid taking a drink - you need time to make the adjustments and develop the habits. Each setback just prolongs the difficulty.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the tough love thing here might be the best route. I'm 21 months post RNY, so yeah, I get it. I get wanting to drink during or after a meal, especially if it was salty. Here is why you don't want to, ESPECIALLY at only 7 weeks post-op.

1. You still have a very small pouch. It starts out the size of your thumb from the tip to the first joint! You should be eating no more than about 2 oz of food in a meal at this point. Drinking while eating, or even for 30 minutes afterward ensures that you never get all that food in there. The liquids (if they don't flush the food) will fill you fast, and help to expand your pouch faster than normal. Neither of those are good! Not to mention you can very quickly get to that very uncomfortable full feeling, or even getting sick. Personally, I'd rather not drink then be out of commission for a few hours while my pouch punishes me for being bad.

2. Drinking during or after a meal basically flushes everything down. Think of a funnel. You put moist, well chewed pieces of food in it, and they will slowly trickle down through that funnel. Now, put that food in, then dump some water in. Watch how that water flushes everything quickly down the funnel. That funnel is your pouch. If you drink during or after a meal, you flush all that down allowing you to eat more, and feel hungry more often. Is that really what you want to accomplish? Personally, I didn't go through all that time, effort, money and pain to simply continue my bad habits after the surgery.

So, either way I see it, you lose when you drink during or after a meal. The drinking before is not as important. My doctor dropped that requirement about 4 months post-op. It's the drinking during and after that is the problem. If you have a problem with getting the food down, or it getting stuck, then try to moisten the foods. At your stage was wasn't eating anything raw, including fruits or veggies. I wasn't eating anything made with processed carbs (bread, rice, pasta, crackers, potatoes etc). I would eat meat, however it would be ground meat, either beef, chicken or turkey. Once I switched to chicken breast, I would moisten it with a bit of mayo, yogurt, marinade, dipping sauce, etc. Just be sure to watch the sugar when doing that! Additionally, you need to make sure you are chewing properly. My doctor told me to chew to peanut butter consistency.

I quit the drinking thing cold turkey after surgery. We always eat as a family at the table, so we simply don't put out liquids. Even my 3.5 year old daughter doesn't drink with her meals at home. Not having it even on the table makes it so that you don't forget and by habit reach for the glass. Yes, it took time to develop the habit, but now it's just that a habit. I keep track of when I'm doing eating, and I wait at least 30 minutes before I take a single sip of water. Sometimes, I forget and don't even drink anything until an hour or two after a meal. You'll find that as your pouch matures, you can slack on this some. Yes, on special occasions, such as at a restaurant, I'll drink with a meal, but it's rare. Yes sometimes, I'll only wait about 20 minutes before having a drink, however again, it's rare. For you, at 7 weeks post-op I recommend following what advice your doctors office has given you to follow. I followed my diet guidelines to the letter until 6 months post-op.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I asked my surgeon and my nutritionist the same question. They said no drinking when eating and to take smaller bites and chew more thoroughly to overcome the difficulty in eating without drinking (and to slow down while eating). They explained that not only does drinking while eating cause you to potentially not get enough nutrition, it causes your stomach to empty too fast and act almost like a funnel allowing you to eat more than you should. The liquid flushes more food through too fast.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Instead of drinking while eating, moisten your food more and chew thoroughly and slowly in order to get it down. If you are choking or gagging, that may be you hitting the limit of your intake. Maybe you are not ready for the foods you are eating. We all recover differently.
  • Rindabu
    Rindabu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Is it swallowing solids that is the problem? You could try leaning forward when you swallow. That used to help me. Still, That could be a sign of Dysphagia. It's an issue with the muscles in the esophagus that move food to your stomach. You might want to check with a doctor about that.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Is it swallowing solids that is the problem? You could try leaning forward when you swallow. That used to help me. Still, That could be a sign of Dysphagia. It's an issue with the muscles in the esophagus that move food to your stomach. You might want to check with a doctor about that.

Well said.
  • Gingersfit
    Gingersfit Posts: 31
    Options
    It's not an easy habit to adapt especially when eating spicy foods (I LOVE blackened seasoning on anything) and when eating out because they bring water to the table without even asking. However, I agree with all the other posts -- you can do it, it's just a matter of habit and training. And, the part about moistening the foods is right on. The one time I've gotten sick since surgery was when I was trying to eat some rotisserie chicken breast. I didn't mix is with FF mayo like I usually do with meats. I chewed, chewed, chewed and about 5 minutes into eating, it all came back up. It was also hard to swallow.

You can do it -- just try some different things to see what works best for you.
  • Christina_722
    Christina_722 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree with every post! Drinking while eating is a hard habit to break...but one that HAS to be done. I have found it the most difficult step in the process. I do it though. I know if I drink when I eat, the only thing it does is hinders my progress. I need all the help I can get and will not screw it up for a drink of water!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options

I think you're taking this a little too personally when she is only trying to help. No need to be on the defense. You asked for non-specific advice. Her advice was to essentially suck it up and find a way to comply with your surgeons plan. Everyone is here to help on this public forum. I personally welcome advice from successful WLS people who are farther out than I am whether tough or not.

I personally practiced not drinking with my meals starting a month before my surgery because I knew it would be difficult. I hate not being able to drink while eating even at 8+ months out, but I still comply. Early out I just avoided dry food and that helped a lot.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was also someone who struggled with this... But I think I could've tried a bit harder... I saw a very good explanation - maybe if you have time, watch this: http://formerfatdudes.com/friends-dont-let-friends-drink-and-eat/
    I have been getting back on track and today is day 6 of no drinking with meals - it started off to be rather difficult, but it is getting easier with every meal...
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am 2 1/2 years post surgery. I still don't eat and drink at the same time. You do have to take those small bites and chew well to eat with out choking. Most of us ate fast and took huge bites before surgery because we wanted to eat as much as possible as fast as possible.

I know people who didn't stick to this rule that stopped losing or gained a little back so try to find ways to change your eating.