Newbie to Paleo

Options
mjaustin45
mjaustin45 Posts: 22 Member
Hello everyone! I am new to Paleo and was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on how to switch over my eating habits to Paleo. I have been researching Paleo for awhile now and I have decided to do it. Now I just need to know how to start. Thanks everyone in advance!

Replies

• Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Start simple. Don't eat grains, legumes, dairy or potatoes for the first 2-4 weeks. Eat real food, make veggies and meat/seafood/eggs and some fruits, nuts and seeds. The bulk of your meals should be protein and veggies. Eat what you want when you want within those guidelines. After the initial healing phase you can try adding back a few things. Like we eat rice and I eat potatoes but my hubby can't have many night shades. I need the starches or my thyroid doesn't function well. When I was doing my initial 30 dyas, I got my starch from winter squash and plantain. Now I know I can tolerate potatoes and rice. We also do a little bit of dairy, mostly grassfed butter and yogurt with occasional cheese. Again, my husband can't tolerate dairy very well, but he can use butter.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I also did up to three "open" meals per week. It helped me transition, but not everyone can handle doing that.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back on the paleo wagon and it's so important for me to prepare. Have food options ready to go, have meals planned in advance, and have grab and go options like servings of soup or sauteed veggies to take with me (and heat at work) so I have both options and convenience. This involves a lot of grocery shopping, planning, and cooking to start but it's worth it.

Plus I love reading paleo food blogs to inspire me!
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    One more thing to drop off your food list is industrial vegetable oils like canola, soy and any oils with trans-fats in them. The list are well laid out for beginners however I suggest not dropping everything in one day take a bite out of it and see how it tastes. It isn't hard to do, it is just a bit tedious at first if you are not used to it. I think anyone can adapt easily but it takes some prep. below is a strict Whole30 menu list which many of us have gone through, it is basically the same as most of the Paleo guidelines. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    A cookbook that I found really complete and helpful is Practical Paleo, by Diane Sanfilippo. It has breakfasts through (gasp) desserts, and many meal plans depending on your reasons for doing paleo. The recipes are realistic and doable, and have turned out well for me!
  • creay2012
    creay2012 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Welcome I just started and still learning a lot.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Welcome! That little girl is adorable!
  • mjaustin45
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips. Thanks ASCRIT for the comment on my little girl. I am biased by I think she is adorable too, except for may her stubborness at times....haha.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips. Thanks ASCRIT for the comment on my little girl. I am biased by I think she is adorable too, except for may her stubborness at times....haha.

Awe, that's pretty funny.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    buy the book......Living Paleo for Dummies.... its a series of books"for dummies" ....
    i take no offense to that...it is by far the best book i have found on Paleo..i have been on it for 6 weeks and have lost 35 pounds ...cut my insulin from 43 units a day to 20 units a day in 6 weeks...its an amazing way of eating..i see no reason for changing anything for life.....

maybe we can talk more???

Bill
  • mjaustin45
    Options
    Thanks Bill and everyone else. My plan is to just take it one day at a time. It is harder than I thought since I love bread, milk, and cheese. All the good stuff...haha.