gastric band converting to sleeve

Options
Hello I don't know if I am on the right message board but I was hoping that I could get some help x pick your brains if I may. Back in 2008 I had a gastric band fitted in Belgium and it has been for me a complete nightmare, to cut a very long story short I am now having the band removed and the sleeve operation done in the next 6 months. I am so over the moon - currently I am sick all the time with terrible acid reflux and I also cannot eat anything fibrous so sloppy food if always my option. Anyway onwards and upwards, with the sleeve would you be able to tell me if you can have a meal - say steak and salad - be it a small amount - or would you please let me know what you can eat once you are onto the solid stuff. I have a lot of weight to loose 126lb or 9 stone minimum so the operation cannot come quick enough - I do hope that you can help me as any advice would be fantastic - just out of interest the doctors her in the UK are now realising that the band doesn't work for everyone so I don't feel such a complete failure xxx

Replies

• candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on September 12, 2013, and have lost 88.5 pounds reaching my goal just this last Saturday.

I can tell you that the sleeve it the best thing I have ever done for myself!! This is a tool not a magic weight loss fix. You will have to put in the work and educate yourself.

I eat 90 grams of lean protein a day. Protein is always first. I enjoy salads....steak, chicken, veggies etc. I have moved from living to eat....to eating to live. I fuel my body now and find that I don't enjoy greasy or carb loaded foods anymore.

I go out to eat with my family and I have learned to eat off of any menu. You can do this it is all about choices. Make one choice at a time, one day at a time and one meal at a time.

Best of luck to you!!!
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Post-sleeve diets vary - A LOT. But generally if you want some protein and veggies together and you keep the good habit of chewing thoroughly you should be ok.

I urge you to join Bariatric Pal and talk to people who are going through the same thing you are.

Sleeved:
    January 4, '12
  • mia262
    mia262 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies and advice - this has helped me a lot - I am so looking forward to getting the sleeve op and having the band removed - it is great to have found this message board x thank you once again xx
  • kellysuemclean
    kellysuemclean Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You are going to be so much happier with the sleeve! It does still take a lot of work, but you will be able to eat real food after just a few weeks! I wish I had done it years ago!