Fitbit

Options
Peggy108
Peggy108 Posts: 32 Member
Does anyone use a fitbit? If so do you have it set to subtract calories from your daily amount if you don't get in enough steps? I don't quite understand how that works.:smile:

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yes, I allow negative adjustments. If I get up and moving, I can earn an extra 500 calories or so a day, more if I really push it. If I sit on my butt, it will take away calories (though never more than 100 I don't think I've ever had, and I can get LAZYYYY).... For me, it is motivation to get moving. But it doesn't work for everyone. And it can be a weird couple days while the calculations adjust, which I didn't understand how or why they were what they were... But after it all settles out, it is helpful. However, there is no HRM with the FitBit, so if you move with any intensity that isn't registered steps, things will get complicated...
  • Peggy108
    Peggy108 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Movemannt with intensity is not in my realm yet. I get around 1940 calories a day. Yet fitbit takes away close to 400 calories a day. I end up walking only 2700 steps a day recently. My goal is 5000. I am actually quite content at 1500 and can make that work but I was justg curious about the whole process. How many steps do you walk a day? What have you set your goal for on your fitbit?

Thanks!
  • pgpardri
    pgpardri Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm a newbie with fitbit too! After reading stuff on this forum and eatmore2weighless, my thought was to go off a sedentary TDEE, and then eat back whatever Fitbit logs.

So, for example:
    TDEE=1700 (using body fat calculations on the scooby site)
    Calories in MFP (5% cut)=1615
    But if Fitbit says I logged 300 calories, then I would eat 1915.

Alternatively, I was reading you could average your Fitbit burned calories and that becomes your TDEE. If I average the last 21 days, I get 2200.

Does this look right? Would appreciate feedback, as I have a foot injury and can do limited workouts right now. I'm trying to make this my healthy restart!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie with fitbit too! After reading stuff on this forum and eatmore2weighless, my thought was to go off a sedentary TDEE, and then eat back whatever Fitbit logs.

So, for example:
    TDEE=1700 (using body fat calculations on the scooby site)
    Calories in MFP (5% cut)=1615
    But if Fitbit says I logged 300 calories, then I would eat 1915.

Alternatively, I was reading you could average your Fitbit burned calories and that becomes your TDEE. If I average the last 21 days, I get 2200.

Does this look right? Would appreciate feedback, as I have a foot injury and can do limited workouts right now. I'm trying to make this my healthy restart!

Depends on if you want a set number daily to plan well for - or like the reward method of more food when you do more.

Set MFP to Sedentary, which you likely have, 15% of 2200 is 330 deficit, so set MFP to 1/2 lb weekly weight loss.
    Enable positive/negative adjustments.
    On non-workout days, eat to the given goal by MFP.
    On workout days, leave 100 in green, in other words, be under goal by 100 calories since 15% is actually more deficit, when you are really that active.
  • pgpardri
    pgpardri Posts: 5
    Options

Depends on if you want a set number daily to plan well for - or like the reward method of more food when you do more.

Set MFP to Sedentary, which you likely have, 15% of 2200 is 330 deficit, so set MFP to 1/2 lb weekly weight loss.
    Enable positive/negative adjustments.
    On non-workout days, eat to the given goal by MFP.
    On workout days, leave 100 in green, in other words, be under goal by 100 calories since 15% is actually more deficit, when you are really that active.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a more food when I do more kinda gal.

Your notes are very helpful, especially about being under by 100 calories on workout days.

Just started New Rules of Lifting for Women this week as well, all new but I'm excited about the process. Even after only a week of eating this way, my cravings (whenever trying to consume less and lose weight, they are usually horrendous in the evening) have largely disappeared, and yet I am generally eating healthy/by macros!