Running in the morning vs. evening

Options
cnl91_W
cnl91_W Posts: 89 Member
I know there are many people who prefer running in the morning, and I would love to get into that for the sake of my schedule. Also, my upcoming (first) half marathon will start at 7am so I kind of need to get over this feeling.

Whenever I set out on a run first thing in the morning, I feel out of breath after just a few minutes. I start to feel dizzy after just over a mile. When I run after work, in the evening, however, I always have more energy and feel like I can go for ages.

Does anybody have any tips or advice on why this might be happening in the AM? Recently I've been sticking to strength/stretching in the mornings since it doesn't exert a lot of effort in terms of cardio. I would love to be able to start running in the mornings without feeling like I'm going to die. Any suggestions?

Replies

• lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Are you eating before you run? Not saying you should eat a full plate of waffles and bacon, but a little toast or half a bagel may help.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning runner either. I always feel better AFTERWARD, but the entire time during, I think, "It's not too late to crawl back into bed, why are you out here, Tracy?!"

I wake up at 5:45, have just a little coffee, eat something easy on my stomach like bread with peanut butter, drink some water, and then hit the trail at 6:30 (the bread is easy enough on my stomach that I don't feel nauseous or crampy during my run... I know people say to wait 2 hours after eating ,but I am NOT waking up that early to hit the trail at 6:30, pfffffft! Nope!)

I do one morning run per week (on the weekend), just so I'm used to the feeling of running during the worst time of the day LOL, and the only reason I do that is specifically so it's not a shock on race day. I really just wish races would start at 11am. Sigh.

7am is a rough start time. My first half marathon started at 8, and I was so tired I'm not sure I was even awake for the first 5 miles. I wished the water stations had coffee LOL! I'm glad I brought some caffeinated jelly beans. God bless whoever invented those.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I normally run at 5 AM. ????. As was mentioned already my guess is you need some food. Does not need to be a lot. Even a banana will do. You will also be tighter in the morning so start with some dynamic warmups before you head out.
  • PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    Options
    I prefer to run in the evenings, but it is so nice to have things done early. Sometimes I get on a roll and do morning runs for a week or more before going back to my evening runs. The more days you get up early for morning runs, the easier it is. I also noticed a huge difference when I had a quick cup of coffee before my run. Try some different things and good luck!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I used to run in the evenings and only do my long runs in the morning, and I would start my morning run at the same time my race would start. Can you do that? And then you can get up beforehand and eat a little something and drink some water. Sounds like you might just be hungry/low blood-sugar/dehydrated?

Side note: Even though I run at 6:00 or so every morning right after I wake up, I'm ALWAYS dehydrated in the morning and my runs are much slower and feel more difficult than my evening runs (though less so now when I started do this a month-month.5 ago). I'd run in the evening if I could, but as you noted, races are in the morning, so I've got to get used to it :/ (Plus my work schedule is not conducive to consistent evening running. Boooooo.)
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I vary my runs, some in the morning, some in the mid-day and some in the evening. Running in the morning is typically more difficult for me too. When I did a lot of morning runs, I found that waking up in the middle of the night and eating a snack helped out. Typically something small like toast with some peanut butter on it. I have read (can't remember where) that people who run in the morning suffer more injuries then evening runners. The theory being their bodies are not as warmed up.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love running at night. I'm a natural night owl and especially in the summer i hate running in the heat. I do tend to get up very early on the weekends for a run, though. I just need to get in some exercise before my mostly sedentary 12-hour shifs on the weekends, and tbh, weekend nights are kept open for friends and family. Getting the exercise out of the way in the morning is a relief, but I'm not happy about it before or during. I literally imagine running back home and diving into bed.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to try to simulate the race day in your training, so getting used to running in the morning will be good. You can do this with just one or two morning runs per week. Try having a small snack before heading out the door. Expect the runs to be slower or more difficult for a while. The body has to go through a training adaptation. It will get better!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Stating the obvious, but make sure you've had a reasonably substantial carby dinner the night before.

I've been running in the morning for years so find it easier and prefer it. Obviously this means I now have to do an evening race today and it's hot and humid. :(
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I generally run in the AM as it fits my work/life schedule better, and well most runs / events are in the AM.
    What are you eating at night? I find if I eat a "heavier" (aka: more protein, fats, etc) the afternoon/night before a long run I feel better.
    Also as others suggested, maybe try an english muffin and PB before you go out? Something that won't make your stomach grumpy.

The mornings before a race I generally eat something light 100-300 cals as I know it'll be about 3-4 hours before I eat again with travel and race time factored in ..

Good Luck!
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I prefer morning running, I will get up an hour before I set off and eat a bowl of cooked oatmeal and a couple of cups of coffee. Then let it settle before the off. Today I was out at 7:30, and ran in nice weather. If I tried to run now, (early evening here in France) I would fry. It is 35deg centigrade out there, (95f). I agree with other comments, make sure you have something light to eat and a good drink before you set off and get your metabolism running before you set off. Once you get used to it I am sure you will enjoy it.:smile:
  • cnl91_W
    cnl91_W Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the replies, everyone! I'll try getting up a bit earlier to grab a small bite to eat and maybe some coffee. I'm a type 1 diabetic, and do tend to dehydrate easily so that could very well be an issue. I always drink a ton of water during the day, so it makes sense that I wouldn't be as hydrated after sleeping for 7+ hours without taking in any fluids. I've still got quite a bit of time before my race so I'll play around with it and see what helps.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Most mornings, I tend to get up a bit before 5 AM, use the bathroom, down some strong black coffee, have a breakfast (oatmeal with greek yogurt and blueberries most days) and then head out to start running about 6AM. Like many places in the Northern Hemisphere, its by far the coolest and most pleasant time of the day. (and the half marathon next week I've been training for starts bright and early at 6AM)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I always eat a bowl of cereal and coffee in the morning. I eat something light so I don't feel full when I run.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for dinner? I've noticed that if I don't add some extra carbs in there my next morning run is crappy. Plus I need a heavy dinner if I need energy to run. In the AM I eat a banana and drink milk or coffee before running. Cannot run on empty.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Morning or evening runs are great for me but anything between 10am-6pm is hardwork. Unfortunately every race I enter seems to be during those times lol
    I think everyone has their own natural time/body clock for exercise and mine says afternoon for sleeping, shame that convention says its work time :laugh:
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I used to be primarily an evening runner unless I had some sort of obligation that night. I found that I ran better in the evening, but I loved the feeling I'd get from morning running.

Now I run at 5:30am 3 days a week. I get up at 5:05, change, pee, eat half a banana, drink a glass of water and leave by 5:18 to get to my group run at 5:30. Half a banana is good for up to 7 miles or so. Longer than that and I prefer to have some toast or a full banana. Long runs on the weekends tend to be a little later and I let myself dilly-dally a little more before I go.

ETA: I've also heard that morning runners get injured more. I think what it suggested is to make sure you start out slower than you normally would, even on easy runs, to warm up.
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add that for my first few years of running, just having the LRs be early helped prepare for the race. Weekly mileage was just to get the miles in, but LRs were in the morning on the weekend with the evening/morning prep better laid out.