Was really hoping ...

Options

Replies

• janet41283
    janet41283 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz! Great to "see" you! First vacation in 10 years....woweee, you deserve to have the best time! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Its also really good that you didn't gain weight while enjoying all those yummy meals. djc, the beach I go to is a National Park, so it is all natural. It took a hit during Hurricane Sandy, but it did reopen and is as lovely as ever. The sand is pretty soft, not exotic like pink or black, just regular sand color. There are shells, mostly smaller ones, but I have quite a collection of different types I have found there. We had our clam bake with our friends last night. Ate tons of clams and lobster out on our deck. It was a beautiful night, especially seeing the supermoon. Love that stuff! Guess I will watch the big soccer match later. I'm kind of getting into it this year!
  • djcangel
    djcangel Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hey Jan, Awesome sauce having a seashell collection...my collection has withered down to nothing what with giving one away here and selling a few of the nicer ones...but hopefully in Sept. I can get back there and start collecting anew. Yummy, I could live on seafood forever. I love it all. What's not to love about lobster, clam, shrimp, oyster, sea fish, mussels, calamari, etc... I am drooling just talking about it. Sounds like you had a good time, I am happy for you. And yes, it is to cool having Liz join us. Oh by the way, I think I reset my settings so that my friends can see my diary and everyone can see my blog posts, let me know O.k. Thanks...talk to you soon...have a great week!:smile:
  • janet41283
    Options
    Happy Monday! Another week, a continued struggle. I wish I didn't look at it that way! I keep thinking, "I should be at ____ weight by now" and other things. I really need to concentrate on each day and just deal with that. Vacation is getting closer and closer and I just thought I would be in a better place by then.
    How is everyone doing? djc, I sent you a friend request. Until you "accept" I can't view your blogs, etc. Look forward to it!
    What is the week bringing for everyone? I've got a few things to do but nothing major. Since I am off all summer I tend to go out to eat more (lunches, etc) which socially, is quite nice. Otherwise, it makes it tough on the food choices. Uphill battle!
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hi Jan...I personally am a roller coaster of up and down emotions. Right now, since I am looking forward to getting an elliptical soon, I am all...yea!, I can do this, this is a forever life style change...Unfortunately, I know myself, and when the time rolls around, I will be all down on myself and; why doesn't the scale change, why is it taking so long, why am I still hungry? Whine, whine, I like cheese with my whine. So venting is good, you can tell me all about your struggles and I will empathize. Just look forward to, and be sure to enjoy your vaca when the time comes and remember, none of us are perfect so give yourself a break. Try, try and try again until the new healthy habits become the norm. Ha ha, listen to me being all motivational and stuff...I should practice what I preach. Hang in there girl...we will get through this screeching and hollering or not. Have a great week. I'll be enjoying eating out and being social vicariously through you, so be sure and take notes so you can tell me all about it, lol. dj
  • djcangel
    Options
    :smile: :happy: Back to even...So happy...lost the weight I gained after being sick, all better now. Ordered my elliptical today...will get it by the 25th.Meanwhile, I'm going to make some homemade energy bars this morning, made with quick oatmeal, nuts and fruit. I so want to go walking this morning...it is 6:00 a.m., 75* degrees, 83% humidity, here in S. Texas. It is hard to breathe that oven air, so I will keep busy, in house, and count the days till my new forever machine arrives in or before 10 DAYS , Hurry, hurry, hurry...that's me being patient! O.k. have a great week everyone, or should I say everythree of us, lol. Hope to hear from someone soon. Happy, happy, joy, joy!!! dj
  • janet41283
    Options
    Hey DJ! Good news all around from you! Congrats on the weight! You will be happy when the elliptical arrives, then you can get into a routine with it. I have a goal to run a 5k with my son. It is a huge goal for me to reach. I am slowly working up to it, and happy with the progress. I have a long way to go! I'm terrified to do that race to either fail, be the last one to finish, etc. All those 8th grade feelings come out! My son promised me he would keep with my pace and never let me be alone. He's a doll. Love reading the enthusiasm from you. I agree, though. Walking in pea soup stinks. I wouldn't get around the block. Believe it or not, I love walking in the cold northeast weather! Have a beautiful day!
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hi Jan, Wow good luck with the ambition of the 5k, when will that come up? I made myself walk, probably dropped a pound in water weight, but I am rehydrating as I speak. I want to thank you so much for keeping in touch with me, it really is helping me to know that I am not alone and have a friend to share things with!!! Your Son sounds like a great guy. I have a step daughter in Afghanistan and a daughter in Vermont...and God willing a son who has been missing for 4 years(this time). He is a grown man of 40yr.s and even though I worry, I can not make him contact me. Anyway, I like walking in the cold too, but don't get much opportunity to do that in lower S. Tx. Have a great day, talk to you soon, thanks again. dj
  • kathycoger
    Options
    If you would like, add me!
  • djcangel
    Options
    Welcome Kathy, how are things with you? I try to check in everyday, and reply to most posts. A few of us will keep it going and hopefully get this group revitalized. So friend me if you like, and lets get to know each other better. :flowerforyou: dj
  • janet41283
    Options
    Hi Kathy! Welcome! I also check the website a bunch of times during the day. It is good to have pals to go through this with!
    Dj, I am very happy to be here for you!:smile: I tutored, came home and had a nice, healthy dinner of salmon and mashed cauliflower. Not very exciting, but good for me. I want pizza.....sigh.
  • djcangel
    Options
    Jan, I am So proud of you. And the salmon sounds great, I love cauliflower although I do not think I have ever had it mashed...interesting. Ahhh...pizza, maybe a whole wheat crust, light on the cheese and lots of veggies. Did I ask you what you teach/and or tutor in? Maybe you mentioned it already, but my memory isn't the best, so please remind me. Geez, I hope it isn't grammar, punctuation and sentence structure. I'll be so embarrassed and very sure that you are screaming to correct all my posts, with red ink, lol. Or worse, Math...my worse subject in school due to a learning problem I have, and a very non-understanding teacher or two. I find it fascinating to listen to people who are well versed in any subject, luckily my hubby is good in math, music and mediating my moods, got to love him. Talk to ya soon! dj
  • janet41283
    Options
    Morning! I think the hot and sticky and rainy weather is on the way out for the time being. Finally broke through my weight plateau so I'm happy. DJ, the mashed cauli is wonderful! If you like cauliflower, mash it up with some margarine, a bit of cheese, or even a dash of soup stock. It kind of tastes like mashed potatoes without the carbs! We eat it a few times a week. I teach a couple of college courses. They are related to race, class, and gender. Very interesting! I tutor ESL kids, mostly from Korea. I guess I have an eclectic work background! Math...NO!!!! That is my husband's department! He is going camping for 4 days with his friends (a yearly event) so I told him I'd bake a few things for him to take. That is my housewifely job for the day! Hope the day is a good one!
  • djcangel
    Options
    @Jan, I am definitely going to try the mashed cauliflower, it sounds yummy. Yea!!! :bigsmile: For YOU, girl, I know how frustrating those darn plateaus can be. Now I am truly fascinated...race, class and gender...a truly eclectic study in human kind, human nature, and human structure. I think I would truly enjoy listening to you teach. And English as a second language...is it just speech, or is it writing, reading, and the dreaded sentence structure, spelling, and punctuation? Lol, hope I do not offend your superior nature, in my barbaric posts, lol. Any big plans while the hunny is camping? I usually take advantage of my hubbys excursions to clean out a closet, or the kitchen cabinets. I Hope You Have A Great Day!!!

Hey Anybody else who checks in....How's it Going...miss hearing from You Guys...What's New??? Check in Later!!! Peace and Hugs! dj
  • janet41283
    Options
    Superior? NOOOOOO!!! Barbaric??? NOOOO!!! I do love teaching this class because it basically covers life. The students are pretty good, but some are just not motivated at all. The ESL kids get to read, write, work on grammar, etc. They are good kids and some have just arrived in the U.S. quite recently. Their english is surprisingly good! I do have plans while hubby is away. Tomorrow night my younger son and I are going to dinner. Friday is a beach day. I have friends who have a house there (lucky) and I will visit them. Another pal from Pennsylvania is coming on Saturday and we will hang out the rest of the weekend. Yes, try the mashed cauli. It is really good, and you can add whatever you like to it. I also like to put some scallions on top. Enjoy!
  • djcangel
    Options
    @Jan...HAVE A BLAST...:drinker:
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi Jan and Liz and anyone else checking in! Just finished 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. If I can do it, anyone can. I still have to modify some moves, but I am much stronger. Going to do it 3 more weeks, starting over with heavier weights, then it is off to Alaska and fishing, not to mention glorious cool weather.
    Weight loss has slowed with no change in the past 2 weeks. That is why I don't weigh daily. It can be really slow PM.
    I use a recumbent stationary bike and watch TV while doing it. My orthopedist recommended it.
    It is a little cooler today so I walked about 2 miles. It is supposed to be record breaking low temps tomorrow so I am looking forward to that.
    I am finding all the fresh veggies to be great for my plan. Since peas and butter beans have protein, it helps on the budget too. Fresh corn can be worked into that too. I am a country girl and I love my fresh veggies. My cornbread clocks in at about 100 calories a serving. I put 1 T. oil in a 6" iron skillet and sprinkle Aunt Jemima Corn Meal Mix in the bottom to cover, then I brown it. 1 cup nonfat buttermilk, 1 egg, and 1 Cup Aunt Jemima, mix and pour in the skillet. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes or until browned. If you slice it in 6 pieces it is about 100 calories a slice. You could leave out the egg, but to me the texture is better. Could use eggbeaters
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hi Tskvaughan, Thank you for checking in. Why does it always sound better when someone else is cooking it? I to love fresh veggies, our spring garden is all dried up now, but I have lots of things canned (yeah I still do that) and lots frozen, so we should have enough to get through this year. Hope you have tons of fun in Alaska...even though Tx. is sweltering in the summer, Alaska would be way too cold for my thin blood. I won't weigh but about every two weeks as it would drive me crazy if I did. I am the worlds worst plateau-er...(sp?), or maybe I the worlds best, cause I go from weigh loss to weight loss like a snail. Now I want beans and YOUR cornbread...Mail me some @ : LOL. Congratulations on the 30 shred, You rocked that. Keep up the good work...dj.
  • janet41283
    Options
    Hi Tsk, wow that 30 day shred sounds intense. Good for you!! A wonderful accomplishment. I have a busy few days coming up, and hopefully will stick to plan. Have planned all my meals, and that helps. I have been drinking a crapload of water. As long as I'm not at work I can do that. Once I go back to work, I just can't be leaving to go to the bathroom so much. Makes it rough. It is beautiful here in NJ today! No humidity! Cooler temps! I love it. I will try to get out and enjoy it early. I still have time!
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    DJ, I freeze veggies, but don't can. I never learned how to can. My Gmother and MIL canned, but my mom used the freezer so I do also. Actually I am headed up to the lake today and to the country farmers market. I ordered a bushel of shucked corn and shelled peas, so I will be freezing this weekend. I don't mind cutting corn off, but hate shucking it and that goes double for shelling peas. I will probably pick up some okra and tomatoes too so I can freeze okra, tomatoes and corn for soup starter for winter. B/c we had a late winter things are just now beginning to really come in. I have already frozen 12 Qts of corn so this should do me for corn.
    Was finally down .9 of a lb today. I will take it.
    Jan we are trying to lose about the same amount. I started out with 70 to lose. May go 10 more after that. I am not trying to get into a bikini LOL:laugh: just trying to get healthy and looking better will be an added bonus.
    It is only 70 here at 8:15 that is an improvement.
    Well, I am off to the lake and the farmer's market
    Toni
  • djcangel
    Options
    Hi Tsk, I freeze most of my veggies, but I like to can homemade spaghetti sauce, pickle jalapenos, tomato sauce and hot banana pepper relish. I agree about shucking corn and shelling peas, YUK. So cool that you have a farmers market where you can get corn and peas already done, at least the worst part is done. Yum, I love okra, I even pickle it when I can find it fresh. I rarely see it around here. I make and eat soup year round as it is full of veggies and low in calories. Yesterday I smoked a rack of baby back pork ribs, made sour cream mashed potatoes and chopped froz. spinach. I was so proud of myself cause I ate 4oz. of rib, 2 serv.s of spinach, and NO mashed potatoes. Yes the weather was a little better here in S. Tx. this morning also, still I haven't made it up to 3 miles again since I got over being sick. Have a great day, and enjoy the farmers market! dj

@Jan, I so feel your (urgency) lol, I have to drink loads of water, and keep my salt intake higher than most people cause I do not retain fluid...don't know why, never have my whole life, and there is nothing wrong with my kidneys, but I was born with a weak bladder(wet the bed as a child) and that problem has not improved with age. So I visit the restroom more than any other room, anywhere. I refuse to wear any(help), telling myself that I am keeping stronger if I don't, but it does require me to go, then go again before I leave, and go as soon as I get home, sometimes in a mad dash..good exercise lol. Have a great day. dj