Hi, I'm New Here

Options
When I read the post : "You Can Teach An Old Dog New Tricks" I thought, "I could have written this myself". Here's my story. Back in the day, when my now grown sons were just mere boys the days were long for me. I was a stay at home mom and I home schooled. I loved every bit of it. In the evening when my hubby and I finally got the kids in bed we would open a bottle of wine. Sometimes sitting outside on the porch swing, sometimes watching a good movie or sometimes just talking.
Every day went like this for 30 years! We loved it, it was "Our Time". Over the years however one bottle grew to 2 and of course with that there were snacks, cheese, pepperoni and crackers, sometimes we'd even split a pizza, hot wings, whatever tasty treat we felt inclined to eat. The kids married and moved away but the evening was still "Our Time".
From the time I turned 40 (peri-menopause) the weight started to pile on and no matter what I did to try and stop it, it just wouldn't stop. By the time I reached 56 I was 5' 3" and as close to 260 lbs. as it gets! My hubby who was always trim and athletic started to get that big old belly too although the rest of him looked great. Between age 40 and 57 I became an introvert, never wanting to leave the house. Hating to see myself in store windows and forget shopping. No matter what I put on I still looked like I was stuffing a giant trash bag. I hated myself, loathe who I had become. No more compliments from friends. At my sons weddings I dreaded the pictures and was angry that they had to look at a mother who had let herself go every time they would look at those picture.
My back hurt, my heels hurt so even walking was a chore. Now completely menopausal the weight seemed to be stuck on me. I think I always knew the night time drinking was the cause because my daily diet is actually pretty great. We eat no beef, lots of veggies and fruit, little pasta or dairy. Vegetarian 50% and Fish and occasionally chicken. I know I can stop drinking because there are times when I stop for days, weeks or even months but something always brings us back to that old routine.
I've been on this weightloss journey 1 month now and have lost 11 pounds. Thirty-three since June 2013. I need to greatly reduce the amount of wine I/we consume to help us both get to a healthy place. Let's face it, aging doesn't give us a lot of options other than stay fit and healthy, that's the best you can do for yourself.
So, I need to be held accountable. I think you can help me do that.

Replies

• Becre8tive
    Becre8tive Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It is a pleasure to meet you and you are right, we do sound alike. The evening "me time" or time for us was the reason that I started drinking every night as well.

It's great to have you here.

We said from beginning on that we are going to "give it a try" rather than feeling we will be punished if we have a drink during the week.

As for me, that damn scale is moving since I stopped drinking during the week...I am going down :-)

I had a feeling that my drinking habit might be my problem and I am glad I am able to correct it!

Welcome!
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes, welcome :-)

I know I battle with the wine....all the stresses and changes in our lives, it is so easy to have a glass..or two or four, lol and it just sometimes takes that pain or stress away.

I try to drink only on Saturday and a lil on Sunday....it does help with the weight loss, but I am not ready to give it up all the way...there are times I may have a glass or two during the week, but I really try to force myself not to.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :-)

Have a great day :-)