pre-op here with lots of questions!

Options
Hi all!

So I've been trying and failing since puberty to get myself in shape- the only medical issue I have is PCOS and insulin intolerance, and my doctors have been insistent on waiting longer to start medication (It's been 10 years since my diagnosis but I guess that's none of my business). Anyway, I'm looking into VSG and had a few questions that really are best answered by people that have had the surgery.

1- how long did it take for your insurance to cover your surgery? I have heard of a basic six-month period of medically supervised weight loss, and a 3-month fast track on specific insurances.
2- How much weight were you required to lose before your surgery?
3- How did you get your protein for the first few weeks? The hospital I'm looking into includes anything but meat, blended until it can fit through a straw, for the first few weeks and I wanted to know if it's really like that for the first leg, and which protein powder (if any) you used to help out.
4- How long until you could incorporate solids back in?
5- How fast were you able to go back to work? I'm a medical assistant and concerned that my first week back I'm going to bust something carrying charts.
6- How did you start exercising again after surgery?
7- Open or laparoscopic?

If anyone can answer, please do! I want to know all the gory details, everything that has gone beautifully and everything that could go wrong. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    1- I was lucky. My insurance company did not impose a waiting period. I was approved immediately. (BMI of 43 + asthma and high blood pressure)
    2- No requirement but I followed my doc's diet to the letter. Between my first consult (May 20) and surgery (July 8) I lost about 25lbs.
    3- For two weeks I was on liquids - milky shakes were too hard for me, so I lived on Syntrax Matrix (Fruit flavors), Isopure Zero and chicken broth from Whole Foods. In week 3 I added Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, etc.
    4- Officially 4 weeks, but I added them back very slowly. I wanted to understand my sleeve before going back to a full range of foods.
    5- I was okayed for 3-4 weeks out, but I went back after two. I felt good and was bored at home.
    6- Walking right away, heavier exercise after about a month. I wanted to swim but had to wait for my incisions to heal.
    7- Laparoscopic

Good luck!
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had RNY, but a lot of the issues are similar so

1. Every insurance is different. Most have a 6 month medically supervised nutrition/diet "waiting" period. If you've already been on one, the waiting period can be waived. Some insurance will accept programs like Weight Watchers, some won't. But it can take a few months just to get in all the pre-op appointments anyway. It took me close to a year. 6 months supervised diet/nutrition counseling/pre-op appts. 2 months doctor review/insurance approval. 2 month wait to get on surgery schedule.
    2. No requirement
    3. Protein powders mixed into applesauce, ricotta cheese, soup. protein shakes. My doctor had a list of approved (high protein, low sugar) supplements and a list of approved foods. No straws allowed.
    4. Gradually from 2 weeks (soft solids like eggs) to 2 months (everything but red meat).
    5. I went back after a week, but I have a desk job. If you have to carry stuff around, think about taking longer.
    6. Walking within hours of surgery. Swimming after 3 weeks when incisions healed and cleared by doctor.
    7. laparscopic
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    1- Not long at all. About 1 week after I completed the pre-op requirements. Every insurer has different procedures. The surgeon should be able to tell you what to expect in your situation, with your insurance, as they do this all the time.
    2- None. Just could not gain weight. The surgeon told me that if I didn't lose at least 8 lbs the week before surgery on the pre-op diet, he would know that I cheated. I followed the rules of the pre-op diet and lost 11 lbs that week.
    3- Only liquids. I used protein shakes - Premier Protein 11 oz shakes from BJs, have 30 grams of protein each.
    4- Two weeks post-op could have pureed foods, then solids as able to incorporate. I am 5 weeks out and can eat small amounts of almost any food.
    5- One week. Could have gone back sooner, but was low on energy due to low calories and surgery recovery. I was not allowed to lift more than 10 lbs for a few weeks. Considering your work, you may want to plan for that. Generally, the heavier you are pre-op, the longer you need to recover post-op. It is different for everyone. Better to plan for 3 weeks off and come back after just a week or two. That way your employer thinks you are diesel. :)
    6- Walking, right afterwards, and ramped up as tolerated.
    7- Laparoscopic.

My insulin intolerance and PCOS symptoms, along with type II diabetes, resolved almost immediately post-surgery.
    Last year, I was at my current weight. Then I gained and lost +30 lbs. I am definitely healthier now at 196 than I was last year at 196.
  • dpaq45
    dpaq45 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Diane and happy to find this group! Thank you for asking great questions that I needed answers too! I have 6 pre-op sessions with one completed. Excited - nervous but so ready to move forward! I am leaning towards the lap band but still not sure - I am sure the doctor will help with this. I have lost 6 pounds so far and starting ball exercise tonight - I have two herniated discs that I tap dance around.

The one question I am wondering about is - Was there anything you wished you would have done before having the surgery - physically - mentally?

Thank you all for your response.

Diane
  • Gingersfit
    Gingersfit Posts: 31
    Options
    I'm a bypass patient.
    1- My insurance didn't require any supervised plan or anything. I had a BMI of 36 with sleep apnea and GERD. I think it was 86 days from when I first saw the surgeon and had surgery. He required 3 monthly visits, plumonary, psych, GI and cardiology clearance.
    2- None -- in fact if I lost I would drop too low so I just maintained my weight.
    3- My plan post surgery was clear liquids the first week, full the next, pureed the next and soft the next. That first week was hard getting protein because I couldn't stand the taste of any of the clear ones and I also landed back in the hospital for pneumonia. So, I probably got about 100 grams total the first week with those drinks they give you in the hospital (Crystal Light with Liquid Prosource added).
    4- Week 4 I could have soft -- tuna with mayo, chili not blended, refried beans, yum...
    5- I could have gone back at one week if not for the pneumonia. I worked from home a couple of days the second week except for one day when I rode to work with a friend (long hairy commute on a high-speed turnpike). You usually have a restriction of not lifting more than 10 pounds... so that might factor into your job.
    6- Walked in the hospital (laps around the floor with the IV pole)... I couldn't really start more walking until after rebuilding some strength after the pneumonia. Walking a lot at week 3 -- cleared to lift weights again after 4 weeks. Feeling great!
    7- Lap
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    thegreatstth:
    1 - my insurance didn't impose a waiting period because my BMI was so high. I weighed 386 at the beginning and I'm supposed to weigh 150-160.
    2 - I had to lose 20 prior to surgery to shrink the liver to make laprosopic surgery easier. Each doctor requires different though.
    3 - Protein shakes and protein infused chick and beef broth. I got all this from my doctor's bariatric store. They sell Syntrax Necar protein shake powder and unflavored powder (which is also great anytime you need to boos the protein of anything!). But since I'm more of a savory person and found the shakes too sweet and thick, the first couple of weeks after surgery I lived on the chicken and beef broth.
    4 - At two weeks out I moved to pureed foods. Then at 4 soft foods. About 6-8 weeks out I was back to normal food, but I will tell you that I am now 3 years out and still get a "stuck" feeling if I eat something that's too dry. I still need everything to be moist or have some form of broth.
    5 - I went back to work at my desk job after 2 weeks with a 10 pound lift limit.
    6 - I started walking for exercise the day of surgery and continued that. I added Pilates after I got below 300 because I can't get down to the floor and required a pilates machine on a platform (it has a 300 pound limit).
    7 - Laproscopic.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Diane and happy to find this group! Thank you for asking great questions that I needed answers too! I have 6 pre-op sessions with one completed. Excited - nervous but so ready to move forward! I am leaning towards the lap band but still not sure - I am sure the doctor will help with this. I have lost 6 pounds so far and starting ball exercise tonight - I have two herniated discs that I tap dance around.

The one question I am wondering about is - Was there anything you wished you would have done before having the surgery - physically - mentally?

Diane

Frankly Diane the only thing I would have done differently is I would have had the surgery a long time ago. My only regret is waiting so long to do something about my obesity.

Pat
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am RNY, 2.5 yrs out.

1- My insurance required the 6 months of supervised medical weight loss. Every insurance is different
    2- There was not a set amount. I just had to participate in the supervised medical weight loss process. I will be honest I did not lose any, but I don't know that I was trying very hard.
    3- My doc required protein powder for two weeks and nothing else. I used Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate. I now use Premiere pre made shakes. I still have one a day most days.
    4- For most of the folks that I know who had the surgery after two weeks they started soft foods and by three months could eat most things. I got a stomach virus that caused me to get an ulcer so I was on shakes and soft foods twice as long.But that is a very unusual situation(only I would get a stomach virus 7 days post surgery)
    5- Again my situation was odd, but I went back part time after two weeks. And then full time after 8 weeks. Most of the people I know (and I have several friends) were back to work at the two week mark.
    6- My doc required walking in the hospital and I had to be walking a mile by my two week check up. I walked for a while until I got smaller then I moved to biking and running (and Wii fit for the bad weather days or the lazy days)
    7- laparoscopic?

Someone else made a good point. My doc said no straws because it puts air in the stomach. He told me not to go back to using them and I haven't except sometimes with smoothies I will forget until the air gets in my stomach.

Good luck. Even with the post surgery issues for getting sick I am glad I did it. I was diabetic, HBP and high cholesterol pre surgery. Now I have none of that.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Diane

Frankly Diane the only thing I would have done differently is I would have had the surgery a long time ago. My only regret is waiting so long to do something about my obesity.

Pat

I SECOND THIS!
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    and I will give it a third.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

So I've been trying and failing since puberty to get myself in shape- the only medical issue I have is PCOS and insulin intolerance, and my doctors have been insistent on waiting longer to start medication (It's been 10 years since my diagnosis but I guess that's none of my business). Anyway, I'm looking into VSG and had a few questions that really are best answered by people that have had the surgery.

1- how long did it take for your insurance to cover your surgery? I have heard of a basic six-month period of medically supervised weight loss, and a 3-month fast track on specific insurances.
    3- How did you get your protein for the first few weeks? The hospital I'm looking into includes anything but meat, blended until it can fit through a straw, for the first few weeks and I wanted to know if it's really like that for the first leg, and which protein powder (if any) you used to help out.
    5- How fast were you able to go back to work? I'm a medical assistant and concerned that my first week back I'm going to bust something carrying charts.
    7- Open or laparoscopic?

If anyone can answer, please do! I want to know all the gory details, everything that has gone beautifully and everything that could go wrong. Thanks in advance!

I had RNY 3/16/2012. I'm 46 and I've lost 180lbs so far and would like to lose 30lbs more.

My insurance co did not require a waiting period or medically supervised diet. I went to my info seminar in mid January, had finished my pre-op tests and had insurance approval and was in surgery on March 16th. But, every insurance policy is different so read your policy declarations to know for sure what your plan covers and requires.

My surgeon request 10% pre-op loss as a matter of course. I did not meet that, but I also did not gain.

In the 1st few weeks I got my protein in through protein shakes and elixirs, Beans, eggs and chicken.

My surgery was on a Friday afternoon and I had my 1st solid meal on the following Tuesday at my post op class in my surgeon's office. It included a strawberry, some refried beans, and some hard boiled egg. Every surgeon has a different protocol though. Mine requires no period of liquid diet pre op either, (except the don't eat or drink anything 24 hours before surgery). And my surgeon starts you off on solid food relatively quickly compared to what I've read on this board. We also had no pureed food period. Different foods were allowed and added back at 1 month, 2 months 4 months and 6 months.

I am a stay at home mom. At the time of surgery my boys were 3 & 5. I had surgery on a Friday, came home Sunday morning and my husband went back to work on Wednesday. He easily could have gone back on Tuesday, except I needed him to drive me to post op class as I was not cleared to drive yet. I never took a pain killer after leaving the hospital. That being said, I tend to recover quickly. I was up walking around the hospital 5-6 hours after each of my C-sections and never took a pain killer after being released from the hospital on those either. I felt pretty fully recovered post op from RNY after about 1 week. My surgeon will not write ANYONE out of work for more than 3 weeks regardless of what kind of work you do. My husband had RNY 6/1/2012, he's a computer engineer and was back to work 1 week post op, and could have gone back 3-4 days earlier.

I started walking the day after surgery and so did my husband. I didn't start seriously exercising for a year (I would not recommend this however). I could have within 3 weeks of surgery had I chosen to.

Laparoscopic.
  • SimplySusan63
    SimplySusan63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Diane

Hi Diane. I'm glad you're a part of the group. This has been a great resource and sounding board for me.

Prior to my surgery I was very concerned that the issues that brought me to obesity would continue to hound me and that I'd end up right back where I started. I just couldn't live with that. I chose to get into counseling to work through some of those issues. I am so glad I did that. I still have monthly contact with my counselor and I am progressing well. I had surgery May 5, 2014 and I have no regrets - well, only that I waited so long to do it. I am 1/3 of the way to my goal and I'm feeling good.

Good luck in your journey.

Susan
  • khontz
    khontz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1-6 month program imposed by my medical insurance.
    2- I didn't have a requirement to lose just show the ability to control my intake and lose some
    3- My surgeon told me not to worry about protein the first week. He said I had enough reserve for my body to feed off. Drink some protein shakes like slim fast but was on soft food in 5 days.
    4- My doc told me not to buy purred food to just chew it good.
    5- I could have gone back in ten days but was approved out 4-6 weeks so used that time to readjust and walk, walk , walk.
    6-Walking every chance I could, then doing the gym supervised for three days a week since last august
    7- laparoscopic
  • DollfaceLisa
    DollfaceLisa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1- I have BCBS FEP. They require 3 months supervised weight loss. My first appointment was on 3/6 and I had surgery 5/27.
    2- I was not required to lose weight but I did lose about 15 pounds in the three months. I hardly tried.
    3- I drank Premier Protein shakes and Isopure protein drinks in the first two weeks to get my protein. I could also handle a couple small bites of plain Greek yogurt.
    4- After two weeks I could basically take one small bite of anything and tolerate it if I chewed it until it was like toothpaste. I just didn't really want anything other than a tiny bit of shredded cheese. I stayed on soft foods for about 4 weeks and then moved on to 2oz or so of solids.
    5- I don't work but I was tld mot to lift anything for 2 weeks.
    6- I had next to no pain from my surgery. I got out of bed as soon as they wheeled me out of revery. I started walking 30 minutes a day as soon as I came home. I was riding my bike again after 10 days. ! was cleared for strength training and weights after 3 weeks.
    7- Laparoscopic

You can message me if you have any other questions. Good luck.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

7- Open or laparoscopic?

As I'm sure you heard and know from these posts everyone will have different answers for your questions. I have 9 months out from being sleeved. Here is my experience:

1 - I went to a informational meeting at my local hospital system and they are so on top of things that they actually knew what most of the insurance requirements would be for us and actually asked us who our insurance providers were when we walked in and had different information folders based on our insurance (although - different company policies have variations). They also do not, even if someone walked in with cash just do surgery. My insurance and the hospitals weight loss center requires everyone to go through a six month medically supervised diet that includes meeting with a nutritionist, the surgeon, and taking a couple classes. The six months few by and I sometimes cannot even believe I'm so far out from my VSG :)

2 - I was not required to lose any weight by either my surgeon or my insurance. My surgeon encouraged us to try, but said, "If you are here then you obviously struggle to lose weight on your own, so we don't require weight loss pre-op" I admit, that while I started exercising and eating healthier food I did not lose. I maintained, which to be honest, is ok, because before I started the process I had been steadily gaining weight for the year prior to that. Also, while I did not lose weight I did lose inches because I was doing regular strength training.

Also, I was required to do a 2-week mostly liquid pre-op diet. Three shakes a day along with one under 350 calorie meal (they encouraged us to just buy lean cuisine meals) and a cup of non starchy veggies. I lost about 10 lbs in this time. The purpose is to shrink the liver a bit to make surgery easier.

3 - Protein - Shakes and pureed food. All plans are different and mine did not have a liquid phase. Mine went straight to purees for the first month. The first week or two they wanted us to get in as much protein as we could but to just focus on staying hydrated. I could have pureed meats or whatever I could stand in puree form. I made a protein heavy italian soup with homemade chicken meatballs, white beans, chicken broth, and some spinach, tomato paste, herbs, garlic, carrots, celery, onions, and mushrooms. I pureed this and ate it nearly every meal that first two weeks. You can eat so little at this point that a batch frozen into smaller portions (enough for a couple days each portion) lasted the whole time. I also smashed up cottage cheese.

4 - I was allowed to have soft solids at 4 weeks out. I handled things well and stuck to things like moist baked fish, protein heavy soups including the pureed one just not pureed, a hamburger, cheese, and so on. By the end of month two I was able to eat pretty much any solids except crisp fruit and veggies. I was allowed those at three months out.

5 - No lifting over x amount of weight (I cannot remember the limit) for two weeks. Just take it easy.

6 - I was walking right away, and had an amazing recovery from the start - I didn't take or need my pain meds once I left the hospital the day after my surgery. I took is slow with just walking, though, then started low impact exercise at two weeks out via doctors approval, then started with my regular exercise around 4 weeks out.

7 - Laparoscopic

Good luck and Congrats on taking steps towards a healthier you!
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    1 - I was required by BCBS (and also by my hospital) to do a 6 month program.
    2 - I was not required to lose weight. I just could not gain weight. Having said that, the pre-op high protein low carb diet did shave about 18 lbs off of me.
    3 - The first few days/weeks, you really aren't going to hit that protein goal. Tummy is swollen and just doesn't have the capacity. Since my program allowed for purees right away, I ate baby food and drank my shakes. I use Body Fortress power, but mostly drink the premade Premier Protein shakes.
    4 - I was allowed on soft solids 5 days after surgery per the program guidelines.
    5 - I was back at my job (a desk job) within 7 days.
    6 - I was required to walk. So I would walk around the house and neighborhood and then after two weeks I used the treadmill and bike at the gym. I was cleared for full physical activity six weeks out.
    7 - Laprascopic.

I had a really easy recovery. No side effects, no issues with foods, nothing weird.