Did you quit riding when you gained weight?

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I feel guilty about riding my horse. I have gained so much weight over the last few months. I lost some about 2 years ago and gained it all back +10. I haven't been "fit" or at a healthy weight in a long time. I ride western and my saddle and pad together are about 35 - 40lbs.. add me on her back and it's a lot. She is not a tiny horse by any means - she is 15.3 and around 1100lbs. We don't do anything strenuous either - trail riding, a few shows, some clinics, etc. We don't even do a lot of loping. Anyway, just curious if any of you stopped riding or limited your riding because of your weight? I can say that I don't ride near as often as I did 50lbs ago and part of my quest to be healthy and in shape is to benefit my horse.

Replies

• karenk2f
    karenk2f Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! Best wishes on your weight loss goals. You can do it! To answer your question: No, I never quit riding. My horses are my main motivation. Many of my NSV's are horsey related and those just further encourage my progress. My 'boys' make very good weight loss coaches and there is the exercise factor that comes with riding or working with your horses. Don't give up something you love!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Kind of. I got pretty fat and still rode and showed, but then sold my horse due to life changes (buying a house, having kids). I got fatter, and that stopped me from going back for a while. It was also my motivation to lose, though--when I finally got below 200 I called a barn and set up a hunter/jumper lesson (I always wanted to learn to jump--rode saddle seat and western growing up).

I agree that you shouldn't give up what you love. It sounds like you take it easy on your horse, so keep enjoying and use that as your motivation for why you lose!!
  • nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    Options
    Absolutely I quit riding when I got fat. I quit when I realized that my combined weight with tack was over 1/3 the weight of my mare. I tried to restart years later, but when my favorite mare grunted when I got on, I quit again. Now I drive instead and my weight doesn't affect my ponies at all. Even when I lose some of this weight, I don't really plan on riding much as I am now a very into combined driving.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I did not ride as often, but I would get on every once in a while. My poor boy was 14.2 and 1000lbs. I have now lost a lot of weight and have started riding again. My skill level has gone totally down hill.

I am starting to ride my young horse but still a little to heavy for any serious work. I am looking forward to loosing that last little bit. My breeches fit again, I have new tall boots and I am ready to get back into the show ring.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    No...I stopped riding due to arthritis in my feet and knees. My horses are Arabians, and can carry any person's weight, that isn't the problem. It is very difficult for me to get on horseback even with a mounting block.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No - however, I was much more cognizant of my weight and how it affected him. He's about 16.3hh, big boned, and around 1300 pounds. I was up around 245 - and decided to get serious about weight loss, started doing in hand work, got a new saddle that fit my big butt better and him.
  • northernchic
    northernchic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm new to this group and this thread caught my eye. I have not ridden consistently in a few years, not because my horse can't handle it; I have a 13 y/o Percheron/Morgan cross...but I think it's more deeply rooted in development of fear, loss of confidence, and my body feeling differently when I ride now as opposed to when I was younger and more fit. At 217lbs I'm just about at my highest weight...WHICH is why I'm back here. I did ride a few weeks ago and my mother took a picture of me...I almost cried after seeing how I looked on him!! I've also committed to starting the 21 Day Fix program on Monday.

It is SO hard for me as I love riding SO much, but I seem to keeping finding excuses as to why I can't ride! I'm hoping if I can lose some weight and get more in shape I will feel more confident.

Anyway...thanks for reading and I look forward to getting to know everyone :flowerforyou:
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm new to this group and this thread caught my eye. I have not ridden consistently in a few years, not because my horse can't handle it; I have a 13 y/o Percheron/Morgan cross...but I think it's more deeply rooted in development of fear, loss of confidence, and my body feeling differently when I ride now as opposed to when I was younger and more fit. At 217lbs I'm just about at my highest weight...WHICH is why I'm back here. I did ride a few weeks ago and my mother took a picture of me...I almost cried after seeing how I looked on him!! I've also committed to starting the 21 Day Fix program on Monday.

It is SO hard for me as I love riding SO much, but I seem to keeping finding excuses as to why I can't ride! I'm hoping if I can lose some weight and get more in shape I will feel more confident.

Anyway...thanks for reading and I look forward to getting to know everyone :flowerforyou:

I know how you feel. I used to ride for my job so I rode 8 hours a day (or more), 6 days a week. I was very in shape and very confident in the saddle. I am still the same person with even more experience but my weight and level of fitness definitely leaves me feeling less confident than I used to. I pretty much avoid the camera at all costs but a friend of mine took a picture of me with my daughter in a lead-line class and I was MORTIFIED. I am definitely the heaviest I have ever been so I am very serious about getting it together and not only losing weight but building some muscle and strength so I don't feel like a sack of potatoes up there.

Good Luck!!
  • Stormygirl1111
    Stormygirl1111 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    DO NOT quit riding! I am 80 pounds overweight right now and still riding. It sounds like you have a nice sturdy horse, keep on riding! I have run barrels with some women who were over 300 pounds, they are great riders with great horses. Just make sure yourr horse stays fit and keep riding. I have retired my barrel horse because of his age but he was about 16 hands and around 1200 pounds, we won a lot of trophy saddles and I was at my heaviest at the time. I am only 5 fot 3 inches tall. I have since switched to riding Hunters and have a 17.5 hand Warmblood, but we do jump. I am not as heavy now, but still over weight. As long as your horse if fit just keep going!
  • lkellandmay
    lkellandmay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    yes... i certainly slowed down my riding...
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I"ve been a confident rider since I was 7 years old. Always had a horse, sometimes as many as 14. I used to buy off the track racehorses and re-educate them for eventing. I'd ride anything and had several "project" horses that needed re-education due to bad/dangerous behaviour. I was never afraid, even when I fell off.

Over the last 10 years my riding has slowed down. I've had a couple of horses I thought I could deal with that have hurt me. I developed a major mistrust of my own body. My seat was not as good, my fitness terrible, my hips sore. I pretty much lost all confidence, feeling that even a small shy could end in potential disaster.

6 years ago I bred the lovely Charlie (profile pic). His mum is a purebred Clydesdale mare I used to own, and his dad is a lovely quiet appy. He's pretty much the horse I've always wanted. Last year I spent about $3000 having him gelded and broken in, and then I leased him to a friend who was going to ride him and didn't. I could have gone up there and ridden him but I didn't. i was too afraid to ride alone.

A couple of months ago, I moved him to another place with 7 other horses, and two people who ride every weekend. Having the safety of other people to ride with has made all the difference. I finally feel like I don't have to let go of the one thing I love to do, something that's always been a part of my life. If you asked me 6 months ago, I would have told you that realistically, I'll probably never ride again. Being able to do it now has changed my life.
  • colane
    colane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, I read your posts and am interested in your group. I haven't rode my QH mare in several years due to accident - got really banged up and lost my confidence then gained weight and feel too out of shape to try again. I love horses - they have been a big part of my life for over the past 20 yrs. Hoping to lose weight and try riding again. Thanks for sharing your posts.
  • SUPERSUE42
    SUPERSUE42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I drive my horse with a 2 wheeled cart. It's easier on her back.