Finding it hard as f#@% to get 40% protein. Any ideas?

Options
I eat a ton of meat.....about 1-1.5 lbs per day. It is lean meat: boneless skinless chicken breasts, 90/10 lean ground turkey, 93/7 ground beef. I drink a protein drink after workouts with some milk....that has about a 40:12 grams protein:carbs ratio. I am eating high protein vegetables, and I am eating very healthy fats (saturated fats are less than 50% of my fat intake).

So, how do I get to that 40% mark if I am hitting my calorie goals? I know, mathematically, it has to come from somewhere. But should I reduce fat, or carbs (which get converted into fat if not applied to activity)? Maybe I need to use the carbs strategically, and do with less fat......but unbuttered veggies are nasty! I want to have half an avocado a day. hmm...maybe change to eggwhites? Hey...theres an idea......

Anyone and everyone can weigh in here. No idea is stupid. I need some help here. My diary is open, and I have recorded about 95% of every calorie that I have eaten since the beginning of the program. Thank you in advance!

Josh

Replies

• DominiqueRobinson28
    DominiqueRobinson28 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hey Astro The easiest way that I have found is to split the protein gram evenly across your day. For instance If your on a 2,000 calorie a day diet you would need an intake of 200g a day to make up your 40% (40% of 2,000 is 800 calories protein has 4 calories per gram) so 50 grams at at breakfast,lunch & dinner plus two snacks containing 25 grams. Egg whites contain 4 grams of protein so a small omlet made with 5 eggs whites and an ounce of cheese would be 27 grams. Greek yogurt is also a good snack with 27g of protein per serving. Or you could eliminate all the hassle and drink a glass of Shakeology which provides your body with all of the vitamins, nutrients and minerals your body needs to make up the 40%. If your interested I can give you more info. I also have an article for you that provides you with the best foods high in protein and the amounts of grams each food contains www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-highest-in-protein.php
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat some peanut butter or have an egg or quinoa or some other food that has some protein at some point in the day. Portion out your food before a day starts so you know what percentages you are going to be at for that day.
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It's not easy... I can't ever hit my protein macros. I have little to no appetite in the mornings, at noon I try to have some meat despite really not liking it, at dinner I eat yogurts and the occasional protein shake, but despite it all I never hit my protein macros. And I physically don't feel able to eat more than I already do... -___- it's not easy...
  • DominiqueRobinson28
    DominiqueRobinson28 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Its not. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle requires dedication and discipline.If is was easy everybody would have their ideal body. Pre plan your meals and try different recipes so that you dont get bored with your diet. izu87 if you dont like meat there are other alternatives you have to get your protein.I gave Astro an web address for the best foods high in protein in this thread and you can also google vegan options for protein