Share your story

Options
afair1
afair1 Posts: 6 Member
Hi I'm Aaron I started this group because I'm new to DASH! So hear We GO!!

Replies

• anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the group, Aaron.

I posted this in another group I'm in this morning before I found & joined this DASH group. Each Sunday we have an opportunity to post about what we learned the previous week, and my post happened to be about DASH:
    repost: Last week I did some reading about the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension), and I decided to try a version of it based on _DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution_ (Heller). (FYI, DASH is a "diet" in the sense of the kinds of food one regularly eats as opposed to "to diet" in the sense of being a highly restrictive unsustainable plan.)

The first two weeks I'm to omit grains, starches, added sugar, and fruit, and then incorporate fruit and whole grains in after this initial period. (The regular DASH eating plan recommends vegetables, whole grains, fruit, low- or no-fat dairy, lean proteins, with some nuts/seeds/legumes and fats/sweets, so it's a sensible eating plan that is doable, for me, long-term with noted health benefits.)

I read that I should anticipate some low energy/tiredness while omitting the grains, starches, fruit, and added sugar. I felt fine in the daytime, but I found myself falling asleep anywhere between 9 pm-11pm, and then sleeping 8+ hours each night, even after the first day. This, to me, is nothing short of an answered prayer because although I had been a good sleeper all my life, that changed two years ago when I want through a time of chronic stress. Since then, my sleep cycle has been so wacky...up at night/all night, sleepy during the day, unable to sleep for more than 3-4 hours a stretch.

As you know, sleep deprivation affects everything, so having a healthy sleep cycle this past week has made me incredibly happy and relieved.

So...that's what I learned last week, my dietary choices influence my ability to sleep (or not sleep), and that's good to know. :)

I'm just starting out, but I like DASH a lot so far. I hope we all can share good recipes and such...I've been eating a lot of broccoli with a little chicken lately. :)
  • mary127
    mary127 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm on day 2 of the DASH diet and thought I'd search for a group, so it looks like my timing is just right here. Thanks for starting this group!

I have been on MFP almost two years now and did great at the beginning and then slowly started to gain some back. My husband, who has always eaten whatever junk he wanted and has never dieted, was recently told by his doctor that he should check out the DASH diet, so I'm doing it with him not only to support hiim but hopefully get myself going in the right direction again. I can follow the first two weeks okay but I know my husband is going to have a hard time because of his past eating habits. Any ideas, recipes, motivation is appreciated!!

Mary
    :flowerforyou:
  • afair1
    Options
    Beatrixia, I like the idea of the Sunday reflecting on how your week went. That's awesome you are getting a good night sleep. Keep up the good work. Thanks for posting. ~Aaron
  • afair1
    Options
    Mary, This is my second day too. As far as you husband never dieting I think baby steps is the best way to start. Good Luck.~ Aaron
  • ladybellringerm
    Options
    My husband and I started the DASH diet yesterday. We're both obese, and he has high blood pressure; we've both struggled with our weight for at least a decade and a half, and now our youngest son is beginning to struggle with his weight. Hopefully, with all of us doing the DASH (our kids by default), we'll change our eating habits.

Unfortunately, while my husband and kids like veggies, I have a hard time with them, so this will be challenging. Hopefully, my taste buds will adjust.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have downloaded The DASH Diet Action Plan on my Kindle and I'm about half way through it. I have tried to implement what I've learned so far and I'm noticing a difference right away. I've been struggling with how many calories I should eat and this book gives such an easy formula for determining that. I haven't gone grocery shopping yet, so I'm trying to make this work with that I hand. This is the first weekend in a long time that I've been able to stay under my calorie goal because I was very concious of my food choices and by eating better food, I was able to eat more food and still stay with in my calorie goal. My rings are spinning every day, which means eating the right foods, mean having less sodium, so less bloat! I can't wait to go grocery shopping on Friday and really put this plan into action. I'm excited to see the results. I look forward to hearing how all of you are doing as well and think the idea of summerizing your week on Sundays sounds perfect.
  • barb8toes
    barb8toes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi...i've been on MFP for over a year, but feel like i need a new start. I've lost and gained back 26 lbs, so this really is like day one for me. I have started the dash diet, but haven't received my copy of the book yet. This phase one stuff doesn't sound like what i signed on for! But guess i'll start phase 1 when i get the book. I've been type two diabetic for over 12 years, it s WAY PAST TIME, to take my health seriously. Looking forward to sharing tips and recipes and supporting each other. Barb ( user name refers to a Carribean island, not a physcal deformity :o)
  • LagapooSD
    LagapooSD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on week two of phase one and feel great. Last week was difficult, I went through the fatigue, irritability, muscle weakness, etc. I really thought about giving up but by day six it passed and as a result I have lost a total of 17 pounds (twelve before starting DASH). I feel energetic and sharp and really feel excited and hopeful about this weight loss journey.
  • ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been off and on of DASH for two years now. My first week of going low salt 2 years ago I lost 2 " on my waist and 7 lbs my first week, just by cutting back on salt. It works great.

I've started back this week, my family doesn't like the change, so currently I'm having to purchase my own groceries. But, I'm hoping that they will eventually give in, this will be healthy for all of them.

I am also a member of Dash for Health website. They give two good articles to read per week, and also Tips of the week. I have got to get my weight down due to the fact I can't stay on my current blood pressure medicine for long due to my kidney health. So I've got to eat low salt and get my weight down so I can minimize my meds.
  • Crikpaw
    Crikpaw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A little over three months ago I felt terrible. I could hear the rushing in my ears, I wasn't sleeping and my average blood pressure was 162/112.

I started following the DASH eating plan and using Myfitnesspal to help keep track.

Now, less than 100 days later, I am 63 pounds lighter and my blood pressure is 118/78.

I haven't read theDASH Diet book. I just downloaded the free PDF from NHLB. I assume its the same stuff but without "Phases".

I still have a ways to go.

I would accept friend requests and promise to only encourage, not to preach.
  • LagapooSD
    LagapooSD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing? I am doing pretty good. I have been following the plan for 1 month and have lost a total of 10 pounds. I took a week off, though - I didn't go hog wild, but I allowed myself to enjoy some of my favorite foods like Sushi, Udon, Gyoza, white rice!!! I am 1/2 Japanese so I do enjoy my Asian cuisine. Back on this week, and I am down another pound so life is good.
  • whanna0111
    Options
    30851882.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    I am starting DASH diet. It seems like a healthy balanced way of eating. Less protein and more veggies than I have been eating so I hope that will be the ticket!
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Howdy,
    i began the DASH program in October 2013
    since then i've been eating terrific healthy fruits, veg and lean protein
    i have so much energy that i'm nearly up to 5 miles a day/walking, as well as yoga and pilates
    really enjoying this program
    my blood pressure has leveled off and my blood sugars are right on target (I watch carbs rather than cals) and try not to go above 30 carbs per meal
    Since the beginning of Feb i'm already down 5.7 lbs ! yay

mz_4946230_bodyshot_175x233-1_zpsab9a700d.gif
  • ckdprevent
    Options
    I could also use some helpful advice. My husband sabotages me all the time. He needs DASH as much as I do. But he hates low fat food.
  • clrtaylor2
    clrtaylor2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am just starting this diet so this discussion has been very helpful. If others can do, SO CAN I Thank you!
  • ckdprevent
    Options
    We will all help each other. Sometimes Dash can be hard if you love junk food like I do. But it is a very healthy change and will help me in so many ways.
  • Audlofitz
    Audlofitz Posts: 4
    Options
    I started the Dash Diet on January 5th. It has changed my eating habits. I read the book and continue to chart my food intake and exercise on my fitness pal. I can't say enough good about both of these methods. I am a sugar addict. I have made the change and it is a true part of my life.
  • ckdprevent
    Options
    You are a great encouragement! I am a certified junk food junkie making the change to veges and fruit. So far and so good.
  • uniquexbritt
    Options
    I'm on the DASH Diet because my doctor recommended it to help lower my blood pressure. It's been a week so far and I feel a difference by drinking water and no salty fatty foods. Although I must say, chicken breast without salt on it is pretty gross. lol.
  • mossyoakcwgrl
    mossyoakcwgrl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello! After chronically dieting for years, I stumbled across the DASH diet for weight loss. I started Phase 1 yesterday and so far so good. I have been filling my plate with veggies and using portion control for protein. So far I haven't had any ill side effects. Surprisingly, I'm staying full so I hope it stays that way!