At night, insatiable hunger? Also period issue

Options
I'm 5'8 female, 33yo, ~145 lbs, doing well keeping my macros at about 20 net grams of carbs daily, keeping my fats very high (~70%) and my protein moderate at about 20%. But almost every-other-night I am insatiable until I have eaten 2000 calories in just dinner and after dinner snacks (snacking because of cravings or hunger). So this means that every-other-day, I am eating 2600 to 2800 calories in the whole day. I workout with a trainer two days a week and it is always the night after a workout and sometimes one additional night per week that I eat like that. My normal "goal" Is to eat around 1200-1350 calories a day while keeping carbs at or below 20 net grams and keeping my fat at around 70%; the remaining 20% or so is for protein. Obviously I have not lost any weight and I have been doing keto for five months with only three "cheat weekends" where I ate a lot of sugar and bread during this five month period. One other thing that I failed to mention is... since starting my keto lifestyle, I have experienced only one period. My period used to come every 23 to 25 days and since being on keto, I have only experienced one period in five months. I know I'm not pregnant because I have taken multiple tests. I have even seen my doctor (not the gynecologist) and had my thyroid tested. My tests came back with fine results; so there were no indications of a thyroid problem. So does anyone know why I am insatiable most nights? Am I just having cravings or is it legitimate hunger due to "needing 2800 calories two to three days a week "? And does anyone know what could be causing my "loss of periods" ( I am currently almost a month past due right now)?

Replies

• TwizzleBit
    TwizzleBit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and would certainly feel the pain of such a low calorie count after a couple of weeks.

I'd would suggest looking at your BMR and TDEE and base you calories accordingly. If you don't feed the engine even on the most basic level its going to break down.

You're doing a lot of work for such little energy.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I know why, it's because you're starving yourself. 1200 calories is way too low for your height and weight. Also, according to the BMI scale, you're smack dab in the middle of "normal" and don't really need to be losing weight at all, let alone at that extreme of a deficit. Being at about the right weight, plus starving yourself, equals increased ghrelin secretion (aka - increased hunger).

Now, does that mean you don't possibly have some fat to lose? Not at all! However, you're going to be hard pressed to get there the route you're taking. Instead, I recommend focusing on body recomposition. In otherwords, eat far closer to maintenance, and lift heavy things.

Meet Staci, and see what I mean -- http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

As for your periods, start with increasing your food. When the body senses famine, it's not going to want to be in a reproductive "mood" (no energy to support a baby). If your periods don't come back in a month or two of eating more at maintenance, then your carb intake is probably too low. Try increasing it slowly until you get to a level that gets your cycles back on track. There is some evidence that ketosis elicits a similar response to famine times when it comes to the menstrual cycle.

Also, take a look at what you're eating and make sure you're not ingesting a lot of soy. Soy is full of phytoestrogens, which can throw off our hormonal balance, causing issues with regularity.
  • amandarsmiles
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for the amazing advice!! I will definitely be asking more advice, giving progress reports and sharing recipes with you all soon! I'm going to bed now but will check in with you guys again this weekend!!
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ever hear the phrase "work up an appetite"? You should be careful with evening workouts. You might try dropping them entirely for a week and see how you do.