weight loss disappointment

Options
claresta23
claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
I must be honest I had surgery on 7/2/14. My sw was 350, day of surgery 331 and weight at first doctors appointment 7/9/14 was 329. I'm like what where is the rest of it! I have been cleared to walk 2.5 miles per day. I started doing this on Friday after the doctor's visit. I will get weighed again at me primary physician on 7/21/14. I need more movement please. I want to get the hell out of the 300's.

Replies

• Jaye1120
    Jaye1120 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hang in there sister!!
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Your body was probably full of fluids for that first week after surgery so you probably lost that and then the two lbs were just the beginning for the "real" weight loss. I gained 7 lbs from the fluid from my surgery so you've probably actually lost quite a bit this first week and now it will be downhill from here.....at least until your first stall, which is okay, because stalls come and go. Don't stress about it because stressing will slow down your weight loss. Everything will be okay :flowerforyou:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I agree, they probably pumped you so full of saline you actually were in the 340's when you left and you have spent a week peeing it out. Get in your eight glasses of water and protein in. Measure and log your food. You are probably still in the post surgery 600 calorie range so you are definitely gonna lose. But you are in starvation mode so moving is very important. Try to get in your 10,000 steps a day. Don't get discouraged, your body will give in. Also make sure you are not constipated, you could have 5+ lbs of poo in you.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You know that following the process laid out for you will result in the results you seek. When it gets tough, focus on the process, not the scale.

We've got your back when you need to vent!

Rob
  • claresta23
    Options
    Been going to the bathroom. The doctor told me 5000 steps pet day for now and that is what I am doing.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    my day of surgery weight was 344. I got sleeved 5/14/14 and I'm still not out of the 300s.

Patience, grasshopper.
  • claresta23
    Options
    Patience is a virtue..still trying to accomplish this one.
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. That is more in 2 weeks than I have lost on my own in 2 years. I can't weight for my surgery. I am scheduled mid September. I can't wait. Keep up your good work. I wish I could do all of the walking that you are doing.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Patience is a virtue..still trying to accomplish this one.

Me too.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You had surgery practialy yesterday!!! Give yourself a chance to take a breath and adapt to all the changes. Follow your plan and you will loose it- I can promise you that :smooched:

I had mine on March 19th, and while I've lost a lot - and at a good pace- I didn't really "feel" it until I'd dropped about 50lbs and saw how my clothes fit- when things I could hardly zip or button suddenly fell off - then it was "real" to me, even though the scale had been saying it for a while. You will have your moment soon!
  • rorisleeved
    Options
    Hiiiiiii,
    I had my surgery on June 5th 2014 so today I officially finished 6 weeks my sw was 303 lb and now I'm 262 this happened over a lot of hard work but to be honest the first 2 weeks I had the biggest loss afterwards the weight is decreasing slowly but I'm grateful coz I can't exercise on daily basis so I'm ok with losing 2 lb per week.
    As for you sister I'm sure in the coming weeks your loss will pick up just keep your positivism and remember that you are LOSING not gaining and this is a bless for all of us......
    GOOD LUCK
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I started this at 386, weighed 365 at surgery date, didn't hit 299 for months! True I had more to lose than you to start, but it did happen, I got out of the 300s and now I am 24 little pounds from Onederland! Hang in there girl! It will happen. Remember we all lose at different rates, some faster, some slower. Our journey's are similar but not identical. You really can't compare your journey too closely to other people's or you will go crazy. So be patient with yourself, follow the plan, move your body, and you will get where you want to be.

Pat
  • claresta23
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I just tracked two weeks yesterday so I need to really calm down, lol
    You had surgery practialy yesterday!!! Give yourself a chance to take a breath and adapt to all the changes. Follow your plan and you will loose it- I can promise you that :smooched:

I had mine on March 19th, and while I've lost a lot - and at a good pace- I didn't really "feel" it until I'd dropped about 50lbs and saw how my clothes fit- when things I could hardly zip or button suddenly fell off - then it was "real" to me, even though the scale had been saying it for a while. You will have your moment soon!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My body did this too. I lost 25 pounds on my one week clear liquid diet prior to surgery and the at my one week post-op appt, I was only down 2 pounds from day of surgery. I just attributed it to the saline IVs and having such a drastic lost pre-surgery that my body had already ridded itself of excess fluids.
    Don't worry, the weight loss will come as long as you sick to your doctor's diet and exercise program.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I had surgery in April, I have lost 46 pounds. sw was 267. I lose slow, I know that. At 61 everything slows down. You will lose if you follow the plan provided to you. This not a quick fix,

I bet next month you will feel much better about your weight loss.

Make sure you are drinking your fluids and eating your protein.
  • claresta23
    Options
    Thanks all.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! We are all impatient to lose the weight. Your body will do what it's going to do. Stick to your plan. I didn't lose anything for the first month after surgery. I was convinced I'd be the first sleeve patient not to lose weight. Now, a year out, I am just a couple pounds from my goal and I wear a size 8! I started at a tight size 24. Hang in there, take care of yourself and let your body heal.
  • claresta23
    Options
    Thanks pattycake :-)
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right, patience is key. Everyone is also right when they say we all lose at our own pace. I lost really quickly in the beginning dropped 24 lbs from the morning of surgery till the day I came home, (had to stay in hospital an extra few days). I am 11 months out and have slowed down drastically. I was 354 pre-op. So just follow your Doc and Nut plan they laid out for you and let your clothes and how much better you feel be your guide. Good luck, feel free to friend me if you like.:happy:
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Please please please give yourself a little bit of a break!!! You JUST had surgery sweetie! You're body went through a major trauma and it is still healing! I know how frustrating the numbers can be- they mess with your head and it is really difficult to push past it.

Here is the truth though- it will take time, even with sleevie on board. You will stall, probably around 3 months (a common time for many vsg'ers) and probably a few times after that. The stall will suck and you'll hate everything to do with everything, especially your sleeve- but then it will break and you'll be bff's again. There will be days/weeks that you gain (how the heck did that happen?!?!?) especially when TOM arrives and there will be weeks that you lose way more than you expected cause you cheated a little.

I guess my point is that this is forever now, and that is not a bad thing. You just need to accept that it isn't going to be fast and stop berating yourself for small losses. Small losses are how you are going to win the race, each pound was worked hard for and earned!