Help! Hair Loss!

Options
Tamipopek
Tamipopek Posts: 9 Member
I am 4.5 months out and the last couple of weeks, my hair has been falling out at record speed! I have increased my protein, I am taking my vitamins and eating very healthy! Does anyone have any suggestions to help slow it down and start growing again?
Thanks!

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    There is no cure for what already happened to your follicles. You can only have great nutrition going forward. WLS necessarily throws us into starvation mode after surgery and the stress of healing from surgery on top of this pretty much wrecks the hair. So we always tell everyone from right after surgery work hard to get that protein and vitamins in. I was only low (under 50) for about 12 days but I have lost most of my hair. I have always had very good nutrition labs and I take all my gummy vitamins and 2-5000mg biotin. I have about an inch and a half of completely new growth that is coming in as my old hair leaves. It is very good healthy new hair so I am not worried. Everyone in my WLS support group got all their hair back in 2 yrs. The vast majority of people who have significant wt loss the first year after WLS lose a lot of hair. How your hair and skin will respond is heavily genetic as well.
  • joyhibbz
    joyhibbz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 20 wks 2 days post op and in the past 2 weeks I have been losing a lot of hair. My labs have been very good and my nutrition is great except for the first week post op. After that I was able to get in all my protein and I have been getting it in since. I cringe every time I brush my hair and see how much is in the brush or when I shampoo it and see how much comes out in my hands. A few girls that I know locally that have had the sleeve done swear by Redkin Intraforce shampoo, conditioner and treatment and they say they have new growth. They also took biotin and zinc. But so far I haven't tried anything except taking my multivitamins and vitamin d.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Most of us go through this. As Mangopickle said, we really starve our bodies in the beginning which is part of the reason. The other part is the stress that the surgery itself puts on our bodies. My nutritionist told me to use Biotin or a product called Hair, Skin and Nails to help slow down or stop the hair loss. I use Biotin and it works great for me. The loss stopped and the last year or so I've noticed a lot of regrowth.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well here is some good news! I also lost quite a bit of volume in my hair and for some reason my hairline was a bit further back than normal (just enough for me to notice)... During my 4-6 months I would run my hair through my hair and there would be quite a lot in my hand afterwards.

The good news? I am now nearly 3 years out and my hair is BACK! Thicker and fuller than ever!! It took awhile and I didn't even notice it coming back in at first, but I even had "baby" hairs that were only a few inches long and everything! I was THRILLED!

If you are eating your protein and taking your vitamins then you are doing everything you can be doing, so try not to worry too much. My surgeon told me that it is very common, and can happen to anybody after a major surgery- so it is not necessarily diet related. You're body is healing, so it is pulling nutrients from all "unimportant" places and using them where there is more need.
  • ChefBH
    ChefBH Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nioxin is helping me a bit with regrowth. it's pricey but it's a huge bottle that lasts a long time. i've found it cheapest on amazon
  • kellysuemclean
    kellysuemclean Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is there anybody that has had this surgery and has NOT had their hair fall out? I am 5 weeks out, and I'd like to have some hope!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had very little hair loss. It really wasn't even noticeable. I have fine hair and I was really worried that I would end up bald!