Separated ACL... what to do in the meantime?

Options
aylajane
aylajane Posts: 979 Member
I have been lifting for about 10 months and really enjoying it, working with a trainer, increasing foods etc. I crashed my motorcycle the other night and now have a separated ACL. Going to ortho on Monday, but thinking ahead and worried I will lose everything I have worked for (i absolutely *love* pullups and pushups of all kinds and its killing me to think I cant do them for awhile much less anything with lifts or shoulders involved).

Assuming he tells me I have to take a few weeks off before building back up, what do you recommend in the meantime as far as a workout goes? I can obviously do air squats (cant put any weight on my shoulders or hold anything) or lunges, but possibly some ab work or something. I worked hard to get my calories up (nearly 2000 now) and I feel like I should cut them back since my workouts are obviously going to decline in terms of calories burned. I am also used to working out an hour a day, but no clue what I can possibly do for that time now - and dont want to lose the habit or the burns!

Just looking for some suggestions. I cant move my shoulder or arm, not sure how I could work my back or abs without that. Sigh. Very sad...

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This is something you will need to work out with your physician. The best answer you are going to get will be something along the lines of "anything that doesn't further aggravate your injury".
  • aylajane
    Options
    Fair enough. Thanks. I supposed I will need to adjust my food intake to match my lower activity level for awhile.

I generally have a very high protein target (150-200g). I dont mind keeping that up (I like eating protein), and assume it cant hurt even if my activity level and lifting are lower than they were...?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Judging from what I have seen with rugby players, I am going to guess your physician advises that you rest it completely for more than a few weeks. I gather that if you do not let it heal properly, you can develop a chronic problem, where it separates too easily.
    They do surgery. But I know of one player who had the surgery and it did not really work. He was young though, and may not have been careful, and patient, enough.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Judging from what I have seen with rugby players, I am going to guess your physician advises that you rest it completely for more than a few weeks. I gather that if you do not let it heal properly, you can develop a chronic problem, where it separates too easily.
    They do surgery. But I know of one player who had the surgery and it did not really work. He was young though, and may not have been careful, and patient, enough.

My son is a University rugby player. He tore his ACL Sept. 2012 and had surgery Dec. 2012. Through therapy he began playing again August of 2013. He came back stronger than ever.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ^ Op meant her AC joint. His acromioclavicular joint. It is her shoulder.
    I am pretty sure you are saying that your son tore his ACL, his anterior cruciate ligament. That is in the knee.
    And, yes, surgical results for ACL replacement are extremely good.
    Your son is very brave to get out there again on his surgical knee. But, he should be OK. Studies show the individuals who have had the repair are as likely to rupture their non-repaired one as their repaired one. So, it seems it is not any weaker.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    ^ Op meant her AC joint. His acromioclavicular joint. It is her shoulder.
    I am pretty sure you are saying that your son tore his ACL, his anterior cruciate ligament. That is in the knee.
    And, yes, surgical results for ACL replacement are extremely good.
    Your son is very brave to get out there again on his surgical knee. But, he should be OK. Studies show the individuals who have had the repair are as likely to rupture their non-repaired one as their repaired one. So, it seems it is not any weaker.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • aylajane
    Options
    Yes thanks! I did mean AC in shoulder
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Fair enough. Thanks. I supposed I will need to adjust my food intake to match my lower activity level for awhile.

I generally have a very high protein target (150-200g). I dont mind keeping that up (I like eating protein), and assume it cant hurt even if my activity level and lifting are lower than they were...?

You can still do other things that will not stress your shoulder (at least for your lower body) - although the shoulder is a total PITA when injured as generally you use it in most lifts.

Do you have access to a gym?
  • aylajane
    Options
    You are right about the PITA! Yes, I go to the gym every day and have all the equipment at home (power rack, etc) too. Ortho says it is grade 2/3 and just a few weeks of basic physical therapy exercises with a one pound weight (working up to 3 sets of 50 reps) and I can start lifting again at half max weights to start, and in a week or two I can start trying to do gentle pushups (not close hands) and then pullups once stronger. Need to get range of motion back then work on strength.

Yesterday was my first workout attempt (have been walking like an hour and a half a day to make up for it so far). I did some lower body machines and the two ab machines (situps and raising up from lower back?) and reverse situps, then very isolated bicep and triceps curls/extensions (with shoulder stabilized and much lighter weight than normal).

Today... was going to do some air squat stuff, any ab work I can think of that wont hurt, the shoulder exercises, and I guess treadmill on high incline or something. Any other suggestions?!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You can get a decent lower body workout with machines.

- leg press (assuming the positioning does not hurt your shoulder)
    - leg extension
    - seated leg curl
    - bulgarian split squats (static rear foot elevated lunges) - as single leg will be more challenging than air squats
    - abductors (the yes of the yes/no machine)
  • aylajane
    Options
    Awesome thank you! Will start being more creative with squats :)