Synthroid-newly diagnosed

Options
colleenlantz
colleenlantz Posts: 2 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm newly diagnosed with hypothyroid and was prescribed synthroid. I feel worse on it! Ugh. Calling dr tomorrow to see what they can do for me. Anyone have luck on other meds? Also, are there any vitamins recommended?

Thanks!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    There are three options:
    Synthroid (T4)
    Synthroid + Cytomel (T3)
    Armour (dessicated pig or pig + cow thyroid glands)
  • colleenlantz
    colleenlantz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Re-posting from a June thread, my experience here in case it helps. Since this post, I've lost another 4 lbs:

I've only been at this about 9 months - but found I'm incredibly sensitive to the specific brand/manufacturer of my T4 thyroid meds, even though my dose has always been the same 88 mcg.

My 1st attempt was good on generic levothyroxine (by Lannett) , but after a few months my pharmacy switched the brand on me. I had a terrible experience on the Synthroid brand - something in the fillers/inactive ingredients wasn't good for me & I wasn't absorbing the meds. Gained weight, my skin was peeling off, terrible chills... after just 2 weeks on it! So, I found a way to switch back to the generic, and things started to get good again & was able to lose about 8 pounds with proper attention to my eating.

Then... I accidentally mixed up my bottles & took the Synthroid by mistake for 17 days. Thought I was losing my mind, felt so terrible, gained 3 lbs. Realized my mistake & switched back to the generic.

I should have learned my lesson... but then Levoxyl came back on the market & I wanted to try it for some of the reported "quick absorption" properties. My weight was steady but couldn't seem to lose.

So... switched back to the generic levothyroxine (by Lannett) for the 3rd time, it's going well for me now. Have lost the 3 lbs from the Synthroid mistake.

So, here we are in June & I'm just now back to the weight that I was in January. A rather painful experiment in brands of meds!
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Re-posting from a June thread, my experience here in case it helps. Since this post, I've lost another 4 lbs:

I've only been at this about 9 months - but found I'm incredibly sensitive to the specific brand/manufacturer of my T4 thyroid meds, even though my dose has always been the same 88 mcg.

My 1st attempt was good on generic levothyroxine (by Lannett) , but after a few months my pharmacy switched the brand on me. I had a terrible experience on the Synthroid brand - something in the fillers/inactive ingredients wasn't good for me & I wasn't absorbing the meds. Gained weight, my skin was peeling off, terrible chills... after just 2 weeks on it! So, I found a way to switch back to the generic, and things started to get good again & was able to lose about 8 pounds with proper attention to my eating.

Then... I accidentally mixed up my bottles & took the Synthroid by mistake for 17 days. Thought I was losing my mind, felt so terrible, gained 3 lbs. Realized my mistake & switched back to the generic.

I should have learned my lesson... but then Levoxyl came back on the market & I wanted to try it for some of the reported "quick absorption" properties. My weight was steady but couldn't seem to lose.

So... switched back to the generic levothyroxine (by Lannett) for the 3rd time, it's going well for me now. Have lost the 3 lbs from the Synthroid mistake.

So, here we are in June & I'm just now back to the weight that I was in January. A rather painful experiment in brands of meds!

This is probably one reason that my Dr. told me to make sure the pharmacist refills with the same generic brand each time. I was told to talk to the pharmacist about how often they switch brands. The pharmacist assured me they hadn't switch brands in years. I don't know why they have such a problem with that. That should not be happening. And of course my insurance doesn't cover name brands.