How is the Fat Fast Different from Keto???

Options
kiknitwite
kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
I started Keto with a 4 day fat fast where I lost 3.1 pounds and did a lot of research and wanted to try the lifestyle. I'm hoping to lost about 75 pounds, getting me to ONEderland and then go from there. After my 1st week of Keto, shark week came and I only lost about 2 pounds and this week I've lost NONE at all. I hear about pple lost like 15-20 pounds in the first month and then tapering off. It's been 3 weeks and I haven't lost anything like that. My birthday is in Hawaii in September and I would like to hit 45 pound by then (I'm at about 20 now). Either way, I'm not losing like I feel I should, at least no in the beginning. I'm not sure if it's due to how I'm eating or not. I've pretty much gotten recipes down and I've been trying things, no carbs, only from fruits and veggies, and I drink half my body weight in ounces in water which is about 127 ounces everyday - I slip some on the weekend. Any way can someone tell me the difference between the FAT FAST and how i'm doing Keto now? Maybe I don't have enough variety in my diet? I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong?!

Here are my Macros: 70% fat (86g), 25% protein 69g), and 5% carbs (14g). I shoot for 1,000 to 1,100 calories per day and that gives me about a 1,152 calorie deficit. So shouldn't I be losing by DEFAULT?!

Replies

• SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You're eating way below your BMR. You should calculate your TDEE and then choose how aggressively you want to lose weight (usually ranging from a 10% deficit up to about 25%). You should not be eating below your BMR caloric requirements. I know that there's lots of debate on the Internet about the validity of this approach, but I can only go by my own personal experience and that requires me to eat above my BMR to prevent my metabolism from slowing down (thinking that I'm starving). You can lose plenty of weight with a 20% deficit below your TDEE.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Eat more, weight loss is not a math.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your stats are but I'm 5'1" and 135 # and I don't eat near that low. Its not a race or a contest. You want your body to be healthy and strong when your done, not weak.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    People who lose like 15-20 pounds a month probably have A LOT to lose. Those are people who are mobidly obese. You're not going to lose that kind of weight unless you have hundreds of pounds to lose.

A fat fast is for people who have hit a plateau on a keto diet and/or have really severe metabolic issues where they need a jump start. It doesn't sound like you have those issues. I'm not trying to be rude, but you sound impatient more than anything else.

Be careful about the fruits. A lot of them have carbs and you can't always rely on the food database here. I've found so many incorrect entries. It's not like they verify what's in the database. People input what they want and the info is only as good as what the person entered.

What fruits are you eating?

What do you eat in a typical day?

Are you sure in ketosis? Have you tested yourself?
  • kiknitwite
    Options
    People who lose like 15-20 pounds a month probably have A LOT to lose. Those are people who are mobidly obese. You're not going to lose that kind of weight unless you have hundreds of pounds to lose.

A fat fast is for people who have hit a plateau on a keto diet and/or have really severe metabolic issues where they need a jump start. It doesn't sound like you have those issues. I'm not trying to be rude, but you sound impatient more than anything else.

Be careful about the fruits. A lot of them have carbs and you can't always rely on the food database here. I've found so many incorrect entries. It's not like they verify what's in the database. People input what they want and the info is only as good as what the person entered.

What fruits are you eating?

What do you eat in a typical day?

Are you sure in ketosis? Have you tested yourself?

Hi! Thanks for your post! It wasn't rude at all, and honestly, you're probably right. I'm relaxing now and just saying as long as it's consistently falling I am fine. I've been eating more like a fat fast (moderately) than anything else. Since I've redone my maccros, I now understand all the recipes I've been seeing. I was saying how can I eat that stuff and stay under 1000 calories. I am, however in ketosis. I bought the ketostix so I know that much. I have to be patient. I was also told to stop weighing myself everyday! I only eat minimal fruits and only berries as i read they have the lowest carbs. Maybe a few strawberries or blackberries once or twice a week. Thanks again.
  • kiknitwite
    Options
    I don't know what your stats are but I'm 5'1" and 135 # and I don't eat near that low. Its not a race or a contest. You want your body to be healthy and strong when your done, not weak.

You're right! I've upped my calories
  • kiknitwite
    Options
    Eat more, weight loss is not a math.

Thanks, lesson learned. I've upped my calories and redone my macros and I'm pushing myself to remain patient. I'm in ketosis and now my metabolism should be in gear. Thanks for the encouragement, I will keep you posted.