Powerlifting nutrition on a budget

Options
Just found this group and luckily so, I've got no idea where to start.

A little background.
Started out at 118kgs/260lbs (am 5'10/177cm)

Dieted and cardioed my way down to 102kgs/224lbs

Got back up to 113kg/249lbs (body composition change of course, less body fat etc)

Did my first competition at 113kg/249lbs, best lifts were 95kg/209lbs bench press (bad shoulders), 145kg/319lbs squat and 170kg/374lbs deadlift.

The preparation and training etc for that first comp was with no real nutrition, no counting, no macros or anything like that and I've hit somewhat of a plataeu.
My currents in the gym are 115kg/252lbs bench (with a slingshot), 180kg/396lbs squat (with knee wraps) and a 200kg/440lbs deadlift.

Its time to sort out my nutrition but being on a low income (between me and my partner) and having a young child I need some good ideas on a maintaining "diet" of around 3500 cals/14600 kilojoules.

If there is any advice or anything I may have missed please let me know, I'd like to get really serious with the sport.
My short/medium term goals are a 226kg/500lbs squat and deadlift and a 140kg/308lbs bench press.

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks if you made It this far.

Replies

• jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i know its not nutrition related, but what program do you run for lifting? everyone i know that is running a 5x5 or 5-3-1 style program hit a plateau and went no further til they started a powerlifting specific program. i was the same way, when i entered my first meet i had never train powerlifting specific, and it showed on the platform. 254bw at the time and i only managed 385 squat, 285 bench, and 455 deadlift. the day after my meet i decided to run a legit program, so i pick Jonnie Canditos Strength/Hypertrophy 6 week linear program, and i ran it for 3 cycles(18 weeks) in that time my squat is up to an easy 455 for a triple and looking to be around 500-525 at my next meet in 2 weeks. bench is up to 365 for a touch and go, but i have paused 315 for a triple, and deadlift is 500, with hopes of 515-525 at my meet.

as for nutrition, my big hurdle was getting past my phobia of carbs. at my highest i was at 3150cals, 393 carbs, 70 fat, and 236 protein. those carbs really helped to fuel the heavy workouts and plenty of protein for repair. granted my weight went up to a high of 290 but this is over a 4 month period, and when i weighed in for my march meet at 254, i had literally cut 17lbs in 9 days just to hit that weight. now even at 281(where i sit right now) my clothes fit no different than when i was 254, except in my legs. my legs have grown a solid couple of inches for the sheer amount of squat weight and volume.

another benefit to carbs being so much higher than protein is that carb sources are naturally cheaper than protein sources. tons and tons of fresh and frozen veggies and fruits, rice and potatoes also. most of my protein came from chicken, and i only bought it when it was on sale and i would basically stock pile it, boneless breast and thighs both. i also drank a couple shakes a day, but not just for the protein. they would have fruits and usually fresh spinach in them plus some almond or peanut butter. those are an easy 6-700 cals if you use whole milk. its really not that hard to get to the calorie goals you have, and done right, not expensive either.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Cheap carb sources:
    rice
    potatoes
    pasta

Eat lots of them :smile:

I get chicken breast in bulk packs. Pickup the cheaper cuts of steak on special and also kangaroo lean and cheap here.

Cheap fat source: peanut butter and ice cream
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Cheap carb sources:
    rice
    potatoes
    pasta

Eat lots of them :smile:

I get chicken breast in bulk packs. Pickup the cheaper cuts of steak on special and also kangaroo lean and cheap here.

Cheap fat source: peanut butter and ice cream

yeah what Chris said, lol....
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    And beans! Dry beans are super cheap. Rice+beans= a great carb source that also has a bit of complete protein. .http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/ I've found some decent recipes on there, but they definitely don't pay attention to nutrition so much so you have to do some digging. The lentil and rice tacos are so good!