Healthy Recipe Ideas

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Here's a place to post recipes or meal/snack ideas to help us reach our goals.

Replies

• KarenZen
    Options
    I'm going to talk about salads this week because fresh veggies are my friends. One of favorite salads is cucumber, tomato, fresh cilantro, chilled black beans, and fresh avocado. Squeeze a little lemon juice on it. Drizzle on a little olive oil. So good, and a perfect mix of good fat, protein, and veggies. I think I'll serve this on a bed of baby spinach too. Nom nom nom.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Anybody got a great recipe for Hummus??? I like it made with Tahina (sesame seed paste). I just have not found a great recipe I like.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    I love hummus but have never made it myself. I'm definitely game for trying a couple of recipes, though, and my friend Kim makes amazing hummus, so I can tap her brain. Will let you know what works out.
  • pittgal08
    pittgal08 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I can't wait to see what you all will post! I have a really hard time with recipes. I always seem to make things too complicated, and then they don't turn out very good. I'm a simple girl, and will love to see any of the simple recipe Ideas yall have. Like that salad, Karen, that sounds awesome!!!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Sarah, another fab salad is a chopska- - peel and chop up two cukes, throw in bowl. Chop up 2 tomatoes. Throw on top of cuke. Finely grate 1/4-1/2 block feta cheese (make sure you grate it--it will sort of" melt" onto the cukes and tomatoes). Drizzle with lo-cal dressing, like balsamic vinaigrette or lo cal Italian. You don't need much dressing- -the grated feta is so good.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Oh, now I need to go to the farm stand to get cukes and tomatoes! Nom nom nom.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, so let me think of some of the recipes that I have and see what I can come up with. I recently made crisp kale leaves....was not bad and a great alternative to chips ! i also usually cook with chicken too, let me do some research and see what recipes I can come up with to post. Thanks karen for the hummus.....I made it a couple times, but it was too lemony. I love it with cukes!!! I try to stick to 2 TBSP and plenty of cukes!!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Tonight I'm making one of Jim's favorites: grill up some steak tips, slice thin, then let sit in a bowl of balsamic vinaigrette and wasabi paste for a couple of hours.

I'm not much on measuring, but I'd guess I put a tablespoon of wasabi in two cups of balsamic vinagrette (I use Newman's own light balsamic vinagrette), mix it up, then dump in the already cooked and sliced steak so it marinates

Serve in toasted pita stuffed with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and cheddar cheese. Drizzle with balsamic. Sometimes I mix up some wasabi mayo too, although it's pretty hot stuff.

Tonight I added some sliced cucumber and red onion and used a very, very small amount of mayo on one side of the pita.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Chili is one of my go-to foods. Love to make a big batch and freeze small portions. I use really lean, grass fed beef and mexican stewed tomatoes and usually two kinds of beans (dark red kidney and black beans). 1 pound beef, 2 cans stewed tomatoes, 1 can black beans, 2 cans kidney beans, spices to suit. Calories for the entire pot is 1560, and I usually get six pints out of it, so 260/pint. With turkey, you only save 20 calories per serving over grass fed beef, and I'd rather have the beef. Luckily, we have a friend who raises steer, pigs, chickens, and ducks, so we get organic meat and grass fed beef for VERY cheap (like $3.49/pound for the beef!) OH, just realized I should have put this in the recipe thread. I think I'll copy it there too.
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Scrambled egg muffins!

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

-Chop up whatever veggies you want -- I used green and red pepper, onions, and mushrooms -- totaling about 1 cup

-Cook up some sausage or bacon -- I used 6 links of turkey sausage -- and chop into small pieces

-In a large bowl, beat 10-12 large eggs well (or, if you prefer, 20-24 egg whites, or a mix of extra egg whites and a few yolks)

-Add 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper

-Toss in veggies and meat (and a half a cup of cheese, if you want)

-Give it a good stir

-Spray the ever loving bejeezus out of a muffin tin with Pam (I have an olive oil mister as well, but trust me -- you want the Real Deal nonstick spray for this

-Scoop 1/3 cup of the egg mixture into each muffin cup (I found that it works best to spray one cup, scoop, spray next cup, scoop, etc.)

-Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean

These freeze pretty well, though it seems to work best if they can defrost in the fridge and then microwave with a damp paper towel for 1-2 minutes

Using egg whites and turkey sausage keeps this fairly low calorie and they're very filling! Great to prepare ahead of time and eat when you want a good breakfast but don't have much time.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    These sound great, Norah, and something the hubs might actually eat (he's very picky).

I might try to make a Greek omelet version with tomato, feta, spinach, olives, and onion.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Best sweet/savory salad I have ever had and first time Ive ordered fish at a restaurant and first time Ive had tuna that wasnt out of a pouch, can or rolled in sushi.

Ahi Tuna Spinach and Feta Salad with Dried Cranberries, Slivered Almonds, a Pineapple Pico and Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette on the side.

Omg...It was so beautiful it took me at least 5 minutes to dig in because I didnt want to destory it. I love taking pictures of food. Has to be colorful, somewhat healthy though.
    C360_2014-08-01-12-17-31-748_zpsewken9ko.jpg

C360_2014-08-01-12-16-45-613_zps0moiup0h.jpg
  • blondageh
    Options
    Dang...it cut off. I will have to fix next time Im at a PC.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    That sounds wonderful and looks soooooo good! Talk about yummy healthy.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    SIMPLE LEMON ZEST ROASTED CHICKPEAS:
    Adapted from How Sweet It is

(2) cups cooked chickpeas
    (1-2) tbsp olive oil
    sea salt to taste (about 1/4 tsp)
    OPTIONAL: black pepper, paprika, oregano, pizza spices, garlic powder
    (1) lemon for grating the zest
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place chickpeas on a paper towel and pat as dry as you can. Try to remove any loose skins and place on a baking sheet that has been lightly rubbed with about (2) tbsp olive oil. Roll around to coat. Sprinkle with optional spices or seasonings of your choice and toss well to coat, making sure chickpeas are in a single layer.

Bake for 15 minutes, toss well and flip, then bake for about 15 minutes more, until crisp and crunchy looking. Remove from the oven and transfer to a bowl. Add the grated lemon zest if using and toss into the hot chickpeas and allow to cool.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe I came across that I really want to try that uses apricots:

Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Vanilla Almond and Goat Cheese Stuffed Apricots

1 oz. (about 28 nuts) Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Vanilla Almonds
    2 oz. Goat Cheese (Chevre)
    8 Fresh Apricots, halved

Wash your fruit. Run your paring knife along the natural seam to cut the apricots in half, remove the pit (if they are ripe they pop right out) and arrange skin side down on a baking sheet.

Place a little dollop of goat cheese in each half. I placed 1 oz. of Blue Diamond Honey Vanilla Almonds in a snack sized baggie and gave them a few whacks with a meat mallet/pounder (don't have a meat mallet, a bottle works great too.)

Sprinkle some of the crushed almonds on top of the goat cheese and place under the oven broiler (toaster oven would work too) for about 5 minutes till the cheese is bubbly, apricots are warm and you begin to smell the nuts toasting.

I got this recipe from a blog I follow. Here's the web address: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ She is a fantastic resource for anyone who is going to have or who has had weight loss surgery. She has wonderful recipes that are high in protein. Check her out

Another blog I follow that is a great resource is: http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Dee! Thank you so much for the links!
  • blondageh
    Options
    Here is the best chili I've ever had. I made it this week and am still eating on it!! I will post the link and also list the ingredients I used since I modified it a bit. I am sharing this because it is jammed packed with Protein. 20g per cup and it is not that expensive to make at all either. Makes a HUGE batch so if it is just you, 1/2 everything.

http://queenbeecoupons.com/crock-pot-slow-cooker-quinoa-chicken-chili-recipe/

Chicken & Black Bean Quinoa Chili Recipe:

INGREDIENTS
    28 oz of raw chicken breasts cut up into cubes (I just took 3 large breasts it end up weighing 1lb 12oz)
    1 Large Yellow Onion
    1 Large Garlic Clove
    2 tsp Olive Oil
    1 Box - Near East Roasted Red Pepper & Basil Quinoa
    One (1) 28 oz can of peeled whole tomatoes
    One (1) 14 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
    Two (2) 16 oz cans of black beans, rinsed, drained
    One (1) 15 oz can of corn, drained
    1 Bag of Frozen Steamable green beans (A little over 2 cups)
    3 Cups water simmered first with tsp of Olive Oil and Chicken Poultry Seasoning (I was out of Chicken Stock)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp crushed red pepper
    2 tsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp of Sea Salt

This has a nice little kick to it, but I didn’t think it was too spicy. If you’re nervous about spice, reduce the red pepper and the chili powder by half.

Directions:

1. Cut up onion and garlic and brown chicken in a skillet in 2 tsp of Olive Oil (Cook almost all the way through)
    2. Toss everything into slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high (Browning the chicken ahead of time reduce the cook time in half

3.) Top with cheese, sour cream, avocados – whatever sounds good to you! I topped with 1/3 cup of Go Veggie shredded cheddar. So amazing!

You can pretty much put whatever veggies you want in it. I just happened to have green beans and love how they bulk things up so I used those. Whatever you use will obviously change the calorie content so make sure you put it in your recipe builder.

This made 14 cups for me. So 1 Serving = 1 Cup.

Nutrition Info:

Per Serving:
    Calories: 223
    Carbs: 28
    Fat: 3
    Protein: 20!!!
    Sugar: 5
    Sodium: 1035 (Can easily be reduced by skipping the Sea Salt)

Picture of what I made. So, I posted it, made it and ate it. I am going to go ahead and count it for the challenge but I will try to do another one just for fun.

Blackbeanchickenrecipe_zps2df843ce.jpg
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Pat's Cauliflower Pizza
    August 12, 2014 1:54 AM
    I'm not sure where we are posting our recipes but I guess I will do it here. I totally forgot we were doing it so thankfully I decided to cook up some cauliflower pizza dough for lunch. If you have taken a look at the calories in pizza the crust is killer. So thankfully with this recipe you can enjoy your slice (or more) without as big of a hit. Plus you get in several servings of vegetables.

Sorry for no pictures. I only new about the challenge this evening.

It actually tastes good. For what is essentially an entire head of cauliflower, it makes a delicious bread substitute. I used mine to make a pepperoni pizza but it could be great for wraps and sandwiches.

I roughly used this recipe and looked at a couple of other https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjsqeLHS14. Essentially all your doing is making cauliflower rice, which is shredded and cooked cauliflower. I chopped my cauliflower up and put it through the food blender till it had a grain size similar to, but a little smaller than, rice. I cooked it in the microwave (you can do it in a pan but really why bother) and then let it cool and most importantly, squeezed out as much water as possible. You don't want soggy pizza crust. You mix it with some italian sizzling, I added a healthy bit of garlic powder. Mix in an egg and some parmesan cheese. The cheese and egg help keep it all together.

Then you bake it off. For the love of all that is holly us parchment paper or a backing mat to bake the thing. No amount of foil and cooking spray will keep the thing from sticking. I backed it on both sides so that it was completely cooked and not soggy.

Then dress as you like. I did some low salt tomato sauce, some low fat cheese, turkey pepperoni and crystalized garlic.

So good!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Karen's brown rice/veggie base
    August 11, 2014 5:01 PM
    One of my favorite healthy meals is to cook up a big pot of brown rice (add a chicken bullion cube for every 1-2 cups of water), saute a couple of pounds of diced chicken breast, and microwave 3-4 packages of frozen veggies, then mix it all together. This mixture freezes beautifully in little pint containers or even plastic baggies. You can nuke it and eat as is, or throw it in a frying pan, shake some soy sauce on it, add some water chestnuts and Chinese five spice and scramble an egg into it and instant Chinese food. Or make a quick curry (melt a 1/2 tblsp of butter, add 1/2 tblsp of flour, stir over heat until you have a paste. Add 1 cup skim milk, heat while stirring. The butter/flour will thicken the milk to make a white sauce (to which you can add lo fat cheese for a light cheese sauce). Add a tblsp curry powder and a little cumin to the white sauce for curry. Or for Mexican, add some chili powder, roll it with some canned black beans, salsa, and avocado into a tortilla.

For veggies, I use frozen steam fresh bags of brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots. Green beans would be good, and corn too. And peppers and onions. I like this recipe because it makes a lot but with enough variety that I can eat it every day and not get bored. Plus the one prep followed by quick and easy warm up. If you feel like making the curry, the Chinese, or the Mexican in advance you can just freeze those into the pints too. I think steak tips or ground beef would work as well.

I'm going to cook this tomorrow and will try to post pics.