Fitness Challenge Week Four

Options
Hello everyone,

Again my sincerest apologies for disappearing this weekend. My husband was in an accident at work and I was in Houston with him while he was hospitalized. I'm super frustrated as eating out of the hospital cafeteria and stress of worry was not conducive to my diet and exercise regime, but luckily I didn't gain any pounds. It did however stalled my weight loss. I'm not worried though, I'll just have to do double duty this week to make sure I get in the right amount of diet and exercise to restart my burn process, and I'm going to invite you into my regime for this week. :)

So, I'm glad the challenge went well last week for you all, and this week we shall continue to add to our set, and we'll take it up to the next level by doing reps. The new exercise we will be incorporating this week is my LEAST favorite because it is no walk in the park, but it's going to seriously boost the burn capacity -- THE MOUNTAIN CLIMBER.

To do a mountain climber, assume a push-up position with your arms straight and your body in a straight line from your head to your ankles. Without changing the posture of your lower back (it should be arched), raise your right knee toward your chest.

Pause, return to the starting position and repeat with your left leg. That’s would be considered one rep. We will be doing 50 reps per day.

Goal will also include 50 jj reps per day and 90 crunch reps per day which we will also incorporate into the sets as a whole.

So, start out with 5 jumping jacks, switch to 9 crunches, and finish off the set with 5 mountain climbers (remember movement of both legs count as one, not left movement =one, right movement = two, but left movement, right movement = 1) which is one total set, then repeat 5 jumping jacks, 9 crunches, and 5 mountain climbers which will be second set. Do the set 10 times, and that's your goal for the day.

You can always break up the set, like five sets in the morning, and five at night, but remember you'll burn more calories by doing the reps of 5, 9, 5 in one period of 10 sets. If you've been floating right along through the weekly challenges, this one is sure to give you a kick, but in an extremely great way!

To count them via MFP, the amount of times you do the individual exercise is the rep, and how many you do of them is the set. 10 sets of 5 reps jj, 9 reps of crunches, and 5 reps of mountain climbers (or however many sets you can get done). Most important is to complete the set as a whole. So if you can only do five, that's ok, but make sure you do the full 5, 9, 5 reps of the five sets!

Hope I didn't confuse you. If you need any help inbox me, and if you are medically unable to do the mountain climber or any of the other exercises inbox me so that I may provide an alternative.

Happy setting all!

How to do a mountain climber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI8u58hPam4

Great article, How Many Calories Are You Really Burning? Burn calories just doing day to day things!:
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/fitness/printableStory.jsp?storyid=/templatedata/fitness/story/data/1177951651111.xml

Replies

• llysenw
    llysenw Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's accident. I hope he's all right.

I haven't completed the challenge for the past two weeks. I'm so not in the habit of doing this sort of exercise, but I'll do what I can.

Also, I haven't really been tracking any of these challenges in my exercise diary. Is there a good way to do it? Should I be timing myself when I do them or do I track them by number of repetitions?
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's accident. I hope he's all right.

I haven't completed the challenge for the past two weeks. I'm so not in the habit of doing this sort of exercise, but I'll do what I can.

Also, I haven't really been tracking any of these challenges in my exercise diary. Is there a good way to do it? Should I be timing myself when I do them or do I track them by number of repetitions?

Thanks so much, lly! He's doing fine. He's an underwater welding inspector, and ended up going into decompression sickness (which is basically nitrogen bubbles entering the bloodstream when shooting to the surface too fast). He was trying to escape a shark, and rose too quickly! He was hospitalized, and kept a little longer because he developed an upper respiratory infection. It's been a harrowing week to say the least.

Anywho, I understand not being in the habit, and of course, that's the challenge! lol. The goal is to ultimately get the body into the habit of doing sets and reps, so over time it can become second nature. If you can't finish that's okay. Do what you can, a little is better than nothing. Just keep coming back for more and continue to build on your stamina and strength...that in and of itself if a major accomplishment!

If you wish to time yourself, by all means do so. This can show how long it is taking you to complete the set and will provide a more accurate account of how many calories are being burned by the minute. But yes, simple entering of how many sets and reps per set you are doing will help out as well.
  • llysenw
    llysenw Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A shark, wow! That is scary! I used to know a guy who was a commercial diver and worked on a lot of underwater construction projects -- it sounds like very physically demanding work (even without factoring in sharks!). I'm glad your husband is on the mend.

I just completed five reps, which I can already really feel in my butt and back/shoulders. I'll try to get to the other five this afternoon. Even if I'm not totally in the swing of things yet, I do feel like my stamina is increasing overall. So that's good.

But man, those mountain climbers are hard. Oof.
  • LynndaMaree
    LynndaMaree Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I just joined this group today. Today I did P90x Kenpo x for 60 minutes and P90x Back & Shoulders for 27 minutes. "Happy Losing everyone."
  • LynndaMaree
    LynndaMaree Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Guess I should have read before I posted this. I didn't know there would be exercises for us to do. Sorry. :) Next time I'll read first.
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Guess I should have read before I posted this. I didn't know there would be exercises for us to do. Sorry. :) Next time I'll read first.

No worries! lol. Congrats on P90 though...its no joke!
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    :noway: Nitrogen poisoning after escaping from a shark. Never a dull moment, eh? Glad he's OK!

I'm going to Comic Con in San Diego this week, and based on the past 6 years that I've attended, I know time will be at a premium. My plan is to keep up with the crunches and jumping jacks, at least, combined with all the walking for exercise. I'm also committing to logging my food. Maybe that will help me remember to eat! (This is the only week out of the year when I forget about food. I usually return from this event lighter than when I arrived. :laugh: )

Have a great week, everyone!
  • phelan999
    phelan999 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Would it be ok to do these as 30 crunches, 50 jumping jacks, 30 crunches, 50 mountain climbers, 30 crunches?
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Would it be ok to do these as 30 crunches, 50 jumping jacks, 30 crunches, 50 mountain climbers, 30 crunches?

Sure! Absolutely!
  • phelan999
    phelan999 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Brownies, I hope your husband is feeling better.

I've been doing this challenge, and it is definitely more challenging than last week. Still totally doable, but my hips are sore. Anybody else feeling that?
  • Allmyusernamesaretakengeeze
    Options
    I wish I could do the challenges. I tried. My body said nope, nope, nope! I'm kinda torn up. I have scar tissue that fairly regularly swells or something and hits a nerve in my lower back. It is the kind of pain that drops me. I can be in bed for up to a week. In addition I have a knee that hasn't been right since a horse fell on it. Surgery helped some but certain movements are right out. Then there is the scar tissue from where they went through my belly to get to the kidney. It was better than cutting through the large muscles in my back so I'm not complaining. Crunches in quantity are not a good idea.. Finally, a lot of impact on my feet causes issues the tendons and/or ligaments. The good news is I have worked up to exercising twice a week. I tape both of my feet and do a two mile walk as fast as I can go. I also take a Zumba class at the local church. I'm paying for it all today but by Tuesday I'll be ready to go again. As the weight comes off I will be able to do more and I think I'll have less pain.

I love reading the challenges you post and peoples progress! Keep it up folks.
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Thanks Phlen...husband is doing well. He goes back to work on Monday which I just think is crazy. To be a diver, get chased by a shark, try to rise to the surface too fast, get nitrogen poisoning, get hospitalized, get an infection, and take a week after that off, and to get right back at it on the following Monday clearly means he's certifiably insane!

Well, yes, my body is sore as well, but I do notice that it is nowhere NEAR how I was feeling four weeks ago when we kicked of Challenge Week 1. I definitely notice the stamina increase, and where I wanted to quit about halfway through at first, I complete daily goal and then some (just private extra credit for myself, I still do the same daily required amount the next day). So, I'm glad to hear that you also are feeling the burn, but also noticing your strength and stamina build up. This is my ultimate goal for these challenges, of course weight loss and burning calories are key, but you first have to be able to keep up with exercise, and for some of us who don't exercise regularly this is the tricky part. It's easier to commit when you have the tolerance for it!

AllMy- I'm sorry to hear about that...Yes, it is difficult with scar tissues and life battle scars. But I am glad to hear that you are pushing right on through. Swimming is EXCELLENT for body ails...if you have the opportunity, the hit up your local Y for some water aerobics! :)
  • kisseso3
    kisseso3 Posts: 36
    Options
    I was afraid of this one because I wasn't sure if I could do a mountain climber. So I've been avoiding it. However I tried it today and I did my first set. It sucked but I CAN actually do it. Yay!!