Why is it hard to drink? What does it feel like?

Options
ATXHeather
ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
My surgery is scheduled for a week from tomorrow and I'm getting a little nervous. I'm mostly nervous about the ability to drink after surgery. I don't understand why it is so hard for so many people to get their water in. I get that the stomach is A LOT smaller and healing but why does that make it hard to sip water? I just can't wrap my head around why that will be hard. Can you explain to me, as best you can, what it feels like to try to drink post-surgery? Does it hurt, is it hard to swallow, do you feel full really fast, etc.? And is it hard for everyone to drink post-op? Thanks!

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Imagine eating until you are to the point of bursting and then HAVING to add water on top of it. After surgery, while your stomach is healing, it's not just smaller, it's also swollen, so even liquids feel like you are trying to add water to a stomach that's already over full. It's uncomfortable for some, not all, and getting protein drinks AND water in can be a challenge. One trick to make it easier is to drink things like Isopure Zero. It's a flavored water with over 40 grams of protein in each bottle. This gives you water and protein in one.

The thing you need to remember is that sipping water and protein is doable, you just need to do it in little amounts. As your stomach heals and the swelling goes down, it gets easier and then you add pureed food, then soft, then back to normal. Each step towards normal at first feels like you are eating too much. Then your stomach heals more, it gets easier, and on to the next stage. All this is normal.

One more thing. For me the protein shakes were way too thick and sweet. I am more of a savory person. So once I got home I lived on protein infused chicken and beef broth rather than the shakes (got them from my doctor's office). And I drank a lot of the Isopure Zero. It's sweet, kind of like Jolly Ranchers, but not thick as it's water. For me, those two things made it so much easier.

I think most of us find it hard to drink early on in post op, but again, it's because of the reduced size of the stomach combined with the swelling from surgery. It's not painful, just uncomfortable because you constantly feel full. Make sense?
  • oStephhanie
    oStephhanie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said above!

Its not HARD to sip the water, its just that you already feel stuffed,and you are trying to add more to the bucket. The easiest things for me to get down are broth and sugar free Popsicles. Some surgeons only have their peeps on clear liquid for a day or two, but my surgeon has us on each stage for at least a week until cleared. Can't start anything with protein, clear or otherwise until cleared, hopefully at my one week check up on Thursday. Also, you have to constantly be sipping, and if I have just finished a full 4 ounces of broth, I sometimes forget to pick the water bottle back up in a half hour.

I was taking my meds with Jell-O in the am, but decided to switch up this morning, because I was thinking maybe the Jell-O was staying in my stomach too long and making it hard to get water in throughout the day. So I did my meds with broth this morning, and will have jello for dinner instead. I was doing good- but a nap took me over this afternoon, and I missed out on 2 hours of intake. But I guess my body wanted the rest more. =}

The good news is I feel no hunger right now (I know, this will return), and my boyfriend has been really good about having cereal, etc, so the house doesn't smell like food these first few days. (Although he misses me cooking- he is being very supportive!) I was actually thinking about making him a turkey burger tonight with some veggies in appreciation of all of his helpfulness this past week. =}
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with both posts above me! After surgery your stomach is so small, but it is soo swollen! Nearly swollen shut! You asked what it felt like? Well my first sip was horrible because the nurse insisted that "ice cold water" would feel best. It was very very WRONG for me! It hit my stomach and felt like an ice pick. It was truly uncomfortable for a few minutes. My mom (who was with me) made me some yummy, WARM, bouillon immediately and when I sipped on that it was much more comfortable. It felt like there was a rock in my stomach and the liquids had to move past it. With warm liquids (and my pain meds) it did not hurt, just felt very very full!

I am also going to add that you also have NO DESIRE to eat/drink after surgery! At least I didn't. So forcing yourself to sip every couple minutes is a pain the batooty on top of the immense feeling of fullness.

Now the swollen stomach is only the cause for immediately after surgery and for maybe the first couple weeks (though my surgeon said it does not fully heal 100% until about the 6 month mark). I would still "fill up" on water well into the first year. Even now, at nearly 3 years out.. when I drink I cannot drink more than a few ounces at a time. Your stomach is simply THAT SMALL!
  • lucyw70
    lucyw70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have to say I did not have any problems drinking after surgery. I took it slow because I had read a lot of message boards about it being really hard to drink. I have been lucky in the fact that I had no trouble drinking fluids. With this being said I do have to drink slowly because my stomach fills up much quicker. Good luck with your surgery, just take it slow when drinking after surgery.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanations of what it feels like. I think I have a good idea now of what to expect. I'm glad to hear that it feels uncomfortable rather than painful. And I know I'll need to be diligent in taking sips throughout the day. I have to be on clear liquids, but with protein, for the first 1-2 weeks. So, no premier protein shakes or milk or things like that to worry about. I did buy some isopure grape and I like the taste of that. And I have some syntrax nectars that I can mix with water. I also ordered protein chicken soup. And I have some pho broth stored in my freezer. I really don't like artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors, etc. so I'll make some homemade popsicles with stevia sweetened water flavoring (like crystal light.) Are popsicles easier to manage? I could probably add some unflavored protein to them also.

Thanks so much for the explanations and reassurance!
  • oStephhanie
    oStephhanie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can also freeze the IsoPure into little freeze pops. Protein and liquid - 2 birds, 1 stone, =).

Popsicles are easy for me to get down, but don't just take my word for it. Everyone is different, some people tolerate warm stuff better, some room temp, some ice cold.. You will find out quickly what your body handles best!