Where to start?

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I have Fibromyalgia and Plantar Fasciitis. I want to start exercising. Specifically, building muscle. I am tired of being weak. Any suggestions? I want to start but don't know where and a gym membership is not an option at the moment.

Replies

• doozerbob
    doozerbob Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, ish... suspected fibro, lumbar spinal stenosis, hypermobility, facet joint syndrome. All being "managed" with meds, as I'm past help...I'm 35 and on the scrap heap lol
    Anywho, I want to start with the trying to build muscle, and , like you, gym membership is not an option, I'm on benefits, and they only just cover the essentials.
    I am looking at maybe getting some of those weights you strap around your wrists or ankles for when you work out. They are quite cheap, and I can wear them when I go hobbling to the shops.
    Don't know if you've thought of anything like that? maybe just use canned food as weights, carry a heavy bag whilst working out, obviously not so heavy you hurt yourself!!
    Gentle hugs from a fellow achey person x
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    for the plantar fascists - good arch supports - and when in bed ,before u get up , lay on your back and put your feet at right angle toes pointed toward the ceiling that will stretch those muscles before you stretch them by walking on them and that what hurts .. they cramp up during the night.
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    forgot legs straight.

these are some chair exercises i found
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=vPJKAG0mknI
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    This is a good site for body weight exercises which is recommended a lot. Also look up your body is your gym