Questions on long run gear/fuel

Options
2»

Replies

• Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    1) I wear Asics socks (it has a thicker part above your heel that sticks up, outside your shoes so it doesn't sag down, and I sometimes wear Balega, but they are a bit hot, so better for winter.

2) I wear a garmin, I love technology and analyzing my runs. It motivates me.

3) I fuel before long runs longer than 13 miles. For longer runs, I will use a water stop / station (i.e., go into a gas station bet water, or set one next to my mail box and make a stop). I don't like to carry anything except occasionally my phone so that I can take pictures, for entertainment. I do well with dairy, and drink/eat Kefir between and before (yogurt like)

4) No sunscreen (but I should). I may be allergic because I get a rash, and they sting.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It appears I'm the anomaly here, especially as far as fueling is concerned.
    Socks - I used to swear by Balega hidden comfort, but found they didn't keep their shape long and got stretched out. Now I wear thorlos.
    Garmin - yes yes yes. I love seeing the numbers. The more it can tell me the better. Now if only that would help me run faster ;) I have a heart rate monitor for mine, but it chafes me like nobody's business! I've heard that Polar strap doesn't chafe like the Garmin ones.
    Fueling - During the week I eat normal even when I have a mid distance run (12-13 miles), I don't eat anything extra or do anything different. I practice my race day fueling on Sunday mornings. Even when the distances aren't very high. Right now I'm only putting in about 15 miles for the long run. I still get up early and eat my oatmeal breakfast (old fashioned oat, chia seeds, nut butter, little maple syrup). Then during my run right now I'm practicing liquid fueling using Tailwind. I have started using the amphiphod hand held (loving it!), and I take a drink every 1/2 mile. 20 oz lasts me 2 hours, so that's going to be 2 bottles for my full marathon. I don't "need" the fuel at this point, but I want to train my body to accept it come race day.
    Sunscreen - I should, but don't...
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    1. You have to figure out what socks work for you. I typically wear Thorlo & Injinji socks and find that the Injinji (five-toe socks) are best for long runs.

2. I like the data from my Garmin 620. At a minimum I think you need distance & pace for training. Heart rate is nice to know but not absolutely essential.

3. Usually I have something light before a long run like a bagel and a banana. My long runs have been up to 14 miles so far and I don't feel the need to refuel. I carry a zero-calorie sports drinks for electrolytes. Lately I have been trying out Generation UCAN mix before my long runs. Two scoops of that stuff and have plenty of energy for 2+ hours running.

4. Only wear sunscreen for track workouts (sometimes). Long runs are usually done in shady areas and early in the morning when the sun is not hot. But I don't like feeling all greasy and having the sunscreen sting my eyes when I sweat. I like Neutrogena Ultra Sheer for my face and No-Ad for everywhere else.
  • CatchMeJess
    CatchMeJess Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What a wealth of information! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences! You all have been incredibly helpful.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Garmin - yes yes yes. I love seeing the numbers. The more it can tell me the better. Now if only that would help me run faster ;) I have a heart rate monitor for mine, but it chafes me like nobody's business! I've heard that Polar strap doesn't chafe like the Garmin ones.

The Mio Link is awesome if you want to ditch the HRM strap. Works perfectly with my Forerunner 220 and any app on my phone :).
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Could some of you seasoned runners offer guidance on the following questions. My weekend runs are starting to get up into the double-digit mileage, so the things I put on and in my body are starting to matter more. Thanks!

(1) What are the best socks for long distance running?

(2) How useful is a GPS/heart rate monitor watch? What are the better brands/models?

(3) Do you fuel before or during a long run? What and how often do you eat (and where do you carry it :) ?

(4) Do you wear sunscreen and if so, what kind?

1. I prefer the Injinji 5-toe socks. The wick really well and I do not get as many blisters. Depending on how I feel, I may wear compression socks.

2. I love my Forerunner 220 + Mio Link HRM (wear on your wrist -- no chest strap). Very accurate and no chafing.

3. I only fuel before runs longer than 90 minutes. But, I run early in the morning. Coffee is a must, though :).

4. No sunscreen unless I run in the heat of the day. I wear what my wife buys and is in the cabinet.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means a seasoned runner, but here's what I've learned:

1. Anything that covers the back of my heel and says it wicks sweat. Body glide is very important to avoid blisters.

2. They are extremely useful. GPS watch saves you getting done with a run and realizing you were .3 miles from your targeted distance and also shows your pace and splits. The HRM is also very useful as it more accurately depicts calories burned. Not to mention you can realize if you're going too hard at the beginning of a run. You don't want to get burned out at the beginning of a long run. Unfortunately I got a polar HRM for Christmas and a GPS watch a few months later so I have to wear both during a run which looks kind of silly.

3. I usually do a cliff bar, those things are loaded with carbs, or a banana and nuts. I eat Gu (vanilla bean is my favorite so far) and drink Gatorade during the run which I leave on my car and lap around to it usually every 1-2 miles. I'm thinking of getting a belt soon so I don't have to lap around.

4. My long runs better be taking place before 6am or it'd be too hot for a double digit run.
  • CatchMeJess
    CatchMeJess Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! I appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences and provide advice.

I'll definitely have to try Balega socks (and maybe Injinji, though I hate having things in between my toes!!).

Garmin might go on my birthday/Christmas wish list. It would be nice to know distance and pace. Currently, I map out my route / distance on Geodistance.com and divide by the total time it took for me to run from start to finish. I think as I get more serious about running that I'd like to know my real-time pace as well as mile splits.

Thanks again! Really appreciate it!