Strong lift equipment

Options
Diamondgirl369
Diamondgirl369 Posts: 25 Member
I just started stronglifts today and I loved it, but I do not have the right equipment and I am not sure I want to rejoin a gym right now. Can anyone recommend a good bar and bench that would be safe and sturdy? There are recommendations on the stronglift website although I am not sure I need to purchase what is recommended since I don't ever see myself lifting the same weight as a man.

Olympic vs. standard weights and bars , anyone have any thoughts on that one?
Thanks

Replies

• violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Since I wasn't initially sure of if I would even *like* lifting, I simply purchased a used bench/barbell/weights on CL. I figured even if it was a basic/cheap bench, I could always upgrade later.

I *think* the olympic bars are preferred if you want to get up to substantial weights, but I could easily be mistaken. I ended up with a cheap Marcy bench, standard light barbell (one barbell weighs 5 pounds, the other 15) and a good collection of starter weights (plates ranging from 2.5 pounds to 25 pounds). My bench also has a squat stand on the back, but no safety bars of any kind. I figure since I'm starting very weak and with very low weights, it will be awhile before I have to consider an upgrade of any kind.

Ideally, if you have room, a power cage seems like the safest option. I figure *if* I actually progress to weights that warrant one, I'll begin looking for a used one on CL or eventually splurge for a new one. I myself have quite the fear of eventually ending up stuck in bad position in the middle of a squat - and I simply don't have a room setup that allows for dropping the bar.

Personally, I am *loving* my first few days of SL, and have no regrets about buying and making room for a used bench setup. Having everything setup to lift from home has been wonderful.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Dont get a standard set. The bar is a different weight and a different diameter. It also can't take the weight an oly bar can. Oly bars are standard is gyms, nit the other.

You can browse craigslist for the equipment. My profile pic is my set up - I ended up with a commercial grade power rack because I wanted safeties and thats what I found on CL. I couldve bought a new one off of Amazon for less but I like this one.

So you need:
    Rack (homemade works)
    Bench
    Oly bar
    Plates (make sure to get 2.5# fractionals)

Ive never read the recommendation on the website because Medhi is a douche and I dont like him. But regardless of what gender you are, the equipment is the same.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    So you need:
    Rack (homemade works)
    Bench
    Oly bar

Ive never read the recommendation on the website because Medhi is a douche and I dont like him. But regardless of what gender you are, the equipment is the same.

^^This equipment exactly, and seconding the fact that Medhi is a tool.

I got my bench and oly bar at a used sporting goods store, my plates from Craigslist (that happened to be a post from a coworker so that's a plus), my fractional plates from www.ironwoodyfitness.com, and made my husband build my power rack (was ~$140 for materials and only a day's worth of drilling & assembly).
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    So you need:
    Rack (homemade works)
    Bench
    Oly bar

I got my bench and oly bar at a used sporting goods store, my plates from Craigslist (that happened to be a post from a coworker so that's a plus), my fractional plates from www.ironwoodyfitness.com, and made my husband build my power rack (was ~$140 for materials and only a day's worth of drilling & assembly).

I havent done this but ive heard of others getting the larger washers from hardware stores and creating their own fractionals ffor the ones under 2.5#. They said it was cheaper.
    I bought mine online (I think same site as the girl I'm quoting) and it was like 40$ or something.

CL is great for the plates. Bars were a bit harder for me to find. And the bench was hard because most of them were a bemch press station that you'd have at the gym.
  • Becksga
    Becksga Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple cheap 100lb standard weight sets at Wal-mart then bought a sturdy standard bar online that is rated to hold 300lbs (as if I will ever be there). I bought a semi cheap bench with a squat rack on the back. DON’T YELL AT ME….but, I do not have a power rack so I place a saw horse on either side of me just in case a squat gets away from me. I didn’t want to spend a lot of money because I wanted to make sure that the equipment would not go unused like a certain treadmill (ahem). If I’m still lifting at the end of the year (and I do not foresee quitting), I will buy myself a power rack…..or stop being a big nervous baby and lift at the gym (not likely). I think everything was about $400.
  • Diamondgirl369
    Options
    That is great to hear! Congratulations on your first week doing SL. I will look into a small set up for my home. I would prefer it, but I also have to consider the space limitations. I will look on CL like you suggested! Thanks again!
  • Diamondgirl369
    Options
    I like the idea of a saw horse! I think being creative is where it's at! Thank you for sharing and together we got this! I will keep looking around for now and see what I find!
  • Diamondgirl369
    Options
    This is great! I did read about the Olympic bar being stronger and safer for heavy weights. I think that is the way I will go. I will be looking on CL also. Thanks for the list and suggestions. They are very helpful!
  • Diamondgirl369
    Options
    Alright then I have been taught by you guys and I thank you! I will be on my search and in the meantime I will work with what I have here at home. I have dumbells so it is only a temp fix. Thank you for all the encouragement and advice!
  • Diamondgirl369
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to build a homemade rack? I will also look on youtube and see what I find!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to build a homemade rack? I will also look on youtube and see what I find!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=homemade+power+rack+instructions
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your budget is. I've purchased all my bars/bumpers (not that you need bumpers) from various Crossfit vendors and have had really good luck with them:

Rogue Fitness
    Again Faster
    Rage Fitness
    Christian's Fitness Factory
    Muscle Driver

I agree with the others - go with an Olympic bar not a Standard Bar. And find a good quality bar - If you're going to spend money on something, that's where it should go.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    So you need:
    Rack (homemade works)
    Bench
    Oly bar

I havent done this but ive heard of others getting the larger washers from hardware stores and creating their own fractionals ffor the ones under 2.5#. They said it was cheaper.
    I bought mine online (I think same site as the girl I'm quoting) and it was like 40$ or something.

CL is great for the plates. Bars were a bit harder for me to find. And the bench was hard because most of them were a bemch press station that you'd have at the gym.
    Wal-Mart has them (better to just buy them online or order online to pick up at store).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Champion-Olympic-Grip-Plate-2.5-lb/29137853
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have one of these and it is working out pretty well for me.

GGBE1486_xl.jpg
    I started with 110 lbs. of weight plates (2 25's 4 10's 4 5's), since then I bought fractional plates (2.5), 4 more 10's, 2 more 5's and 3 45's, still planing to buy a couple more 25's.
  • Diamondgirl369
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Diamondgirl369
    Options
    Thanks! I think I could do this!
  • Diamondgirl369
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thank you!