Can I change?

Options
I'm 30 years old and I think I have now been binge eating on and off for 15 years. I think I'm at the worst point of it ever. I no longer know how to eat normally, what food I like or enjoy, when I'm full or how to be balanced when it comes to food. Food sends me crazy! I only know how to binge or starve and that's it!

I'd love to change but I just don't know if I can. I now over eat for every reason...happy, sad, scared, nervous...habit...cuz it's there...aaarrgghh!!!

I've tried sooo many times over the years but can I really do it? And if something upsets you soooo much, why is it not easy to change it when the person in control is you?

Replies

• crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Seems that you're feeling like you're at your wit's end. Have you considered an inpatient treatment center? Maybe look into what your insurance would cover and see if you can get help that way. If an inpatient treatment center is out of the realm of possibility for you, maybe consider outpatient treatment. If not that, consider a routine as therapy for yourself. Weekly massages, pedicures, manicures, where you go and left all of that stress of the week go in our good swoop.

You can also reach out to NEDA for phone calls when you're feeling like a binge is coming on. You can reach out to them for assistance with outpatient or inpatient treatment centers, as well as at-home coping skills.

Everyone has the capacity for change. Everyone. There are addicts that recover from serious drug use after nearly a lifetime of using. Sure, there are more stories of failure than there are of success, but we all have that capacity in us. We can all change. We can all adapt. And we can all improve. We just have to find it in ourselves and want to do it with all that we have. Just because you've been doing it for 15 years doesn't mean you have to do it for 16. Believe in yourself. You can do this. You can beat this.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can add anything more helpful than what Crepes_ has said above me. There's a lot of great resources there.

But also - Please know that you are worth it. Know that you *deserve* to be happy. You *deserve* to be healthy. You are not alone. Big, big hugs.
  • lauzybabes
    Options
    Thank you for your advice! I'm in the UK and I didn't think we have those sorts of facilities. I did try cognitive therapy and I've had counselling but neither helped a great deal. It's nice to have your support and encouragement; I appreciate that.

I hate binge eating; it has spoilt many things in my life over the years and though I'm not overweight it has destroyed my body and metabolism in some ways.

I'm a teacher and today is the first day of the summer holidays and I feel like I have a bit of time to focus on myself so here goes; another attempt to beat the binge! Can I succeed following so many failed attempts over the years?

Change is tough. But def. worthwhile.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Great post by crepes.

One thing struck me from the OP. You said you only know how to starve or binge. Maybe you could try eating at maintenance logging everything for a bit to try to get a bit of normalty.
  • lauzybabes
    Options
    Thanks black pup thats exactly what I intend to do. Isnt it funny how we can lose tune with our bodies so easily? Eating healthily when you want to be healthy should be and sounds so easy! Hmmmm....x
  • kasterrett
    kasterrett Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Short answer: of course you can.

Start, I think, with figuring out what you like to eat.
    What DO you like? What kind of flavors do you like?
    I find that appreciating the food I eat really helps me make daily eating decisions that are good for me.
  • lauzybabes
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and words of support!

been fine the past couple of days. Today I craved choc but I thought it could send me off and make me bingey so I sat with the craving and it passed in about 20 mins.

today I feel like I've eaten totally normally and I love that. It feels good and I wish every day was like that.

As for foods I like; I have lost all real understanding of that. I know I love choc!!! But I also know I don't really like dinners. I like snacky food. I feel I need to develop a bit more of an understanding on this one!!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    That's so great to hear! Those binge cravings normally only last for 20 minutes. So even though you're taking this one day at a time, you can think of it as just having to be strong for a 20 minute period. That's so much more managable.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to the OP....I am 38 now and have been starving/dieting/bingeing on and off for the last 25 years. Sometimes I wonder if I can ever beat this thing. I know all the "right" things to do so it makes me wonder if I really want to change. I mean, I do, but I just wish it wasn't so hard.