My poor bum...

Options
jls8209
jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
I posted this on Fit, Fabulous & Pregnant this morning but haven't gotten any responses, so I thought I'd try asking you ladies since we've all been pregnant and I'm sure somebody out there has some advice!

I see my midwife this week and I'm going to ask her as well, but in the mean time I need some suggestions for what to do.

I have a wicked hemorrhoid. It feels big, it hurts (sometimes even when I walk), and nothing I'm doing seems to be helping. I've been using a hemorrhoid ointment a few times a day, I'm not constipated, I'm taking Metamucil to help keep my BMs from being hard, I don't spend too much time sitting on the toilet and I don't try to "force" anything out on the rare occasion I do get backed up.

I didn't develop any bum issues with my last pregnancy, oddly enough I developed them after. The ointment/Metamucil combo is what my family doctor prescribed with my last round of serious bum issues and my problem (a bad fissure) disappeared. This time, not so much. Any other ideas?

Replies

• dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I used Tucks pads during the day, and a sitz bath in the evening, which I filled with warm water and epsom salts. Earth Mama Angel Baby makes an herbal mix that you can use. It was awful but after a few weeks it was seriously reduced. I also iced it with the round ice packs that are meant for breastfeeding related discomfort.

I'm happy to say it did not pop back out during delivery, but I had brought along supplies just in case.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I got mine 2 weeks ago at 3 weeks postpartum. I've been using an ointment with anesthetic which really helps. Also baths, and nursing in a lying down position. Sitting is just painful. I've also been practically letting things "fall out" rather than push (which is gross, sorry).
  • jls8209
    Options
    I picked up some epsom salts this morning, and asked around my local FB mom group and found a store that sells Earth Mama Angel Baby products (found both a spray and a balm that sound like what I need). Hopefully I'll get to that store either tonight or tomorrow and I can start making that sucker go away!
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You are already doing everything my ob told me. The discouraging thing she said to me was you don't have to be constipated - part of it is just the weight of the uterus pushing down. I was told that there's not much to be done until after delivery (and even still just the things you mentioned). She told me it'd probably just get worse until then. I didn't get any until after my 2nd. Then they got worse for 3rd pregnancy. I am 2 months postpartum and don't really notice them anymore. So sorry. Best of Luck.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I picked up some epsom salts this morning, and asked around my local FB mom group and found a store that sells Earth Mama Angel Baby products (found both a spray and a balm that sound like what I need). Hopefully I'll get to that store either tonight or tomorrow and I can start making that sucker go away!

Good plan! If you use their postpartum bath product, use it like a tea bag, don't open it up and dump it in. Picking that stuff out afterward is anything but soothing and calming. :sick:
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    My Obgyn also told me that you can push on them (gently if necessary) and the pressure put on them can help reduce their size. I would do this and, most of the time, it would make them totally disappear after a couple of days.
    I also only used Witch Hazel.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other responses but I had a bad one during my pregnancy and after I had my daughter. I would take Tucks pads and wipe with those or adult wet wipes, but also (and sorry if this is graphic/tmi) fold one up and put it over the actual area that hurts and then put your underwear on, etc. It helped ease the pain a bit. I also used Prep H a bit and it helped. It took about 3 weeks for mine to go away because when they get pushed to the outside it's actually like a blood clot under your skin that has to dissolve and this takes time. I know your pain and good luck to you! Hope it goes away soon.
  • jls8209
    Options
    Success! I don't know if it was any one thing or a combo, but the bugger is gone. I did nightly baths with the epsom salts, made sure the area was clean with Tucks after using the bathroom, and throughout the day I rotated between Anusol (recommended over Prep H here in Canada), Earth Mama Angel Baby bottom balm (for moms) and their pre-natal/post-partum perineum spray. Oh, and Metamucil. It's been a couple of weeks and the only thing I'm still using regularly at the moment is my "poop juice" as I so lovingly call it. :laugh: Now if only it would stop giving me heartburn....! Thanks for the tips, ladies.

ETA: my midwife also wrote me a prescription for some sort of capsules, but I didn't end up filling it.