Marathon Training Plans?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
Can anyone recommend a good intermediate marathon training plan? I would like to find a 16-18 week plan that has me running 5 days per week and focuses on increasing speed. I do not mind if it also includes a 6th day of cross training (I also plan do do a small amount of strength training and yoga). Ideally, I will be starting the plan in Aug/Sept with a consistent 30MPW base. I would prefer one that I can download for free, or is included in a book that I can purchase. Thanks!

Replies

• becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Heyyyyy

The hal higdon apps are expensive, but the schedules are available on is website as downloadable PDFs (for free). I'm not sure if it meets your criteria in terms of runs per week but might still be worth a look!
  • lporter229
    Options
    Thanks Becka,

I guess the issue I have with purchasing downloads is that I would like to check out the plan before I buy it. Is there a way to do this that you know of?
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    How about this one? I'm doing the 24 week plan but here is an 18. http://www.derekleewo.com/djapps/trainingPlans/viewPlan/5/
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    In the past I've used **** Beardsley's intermediate plan. If you google it, or the Grandma's marathon training plan you should be able to download it for free. Currently I'm using the Jack Daniels running formula. There is a book with all of the info on his plans.
  • lporter229
    Options
    How about this one? I'm doing the 24 week plan but here is an 18. http://www.derekleewo.com/djapps/trainingPlans/viewPlan/5/

"Road to Boston", Jen? The name alone scares me! Although, I must say that the plan looks pretty good. Maybe a bit more higher mileage runs than I was counting on, but what the heck...go big or go home, right?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will check them all out and decide which best suits me.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to Peter Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning. I recently started using his plans to give structure to my mid-week training. I deviate and do my own thing for the weekend training.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Greg McMillan includes customizable plans in his book YOU (Only Faster). they are all aimed at increasing speed, as the title implies. He teaches you in the book how to customize your particular plan.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options

"Road to Boston", Jen? The name alone scares me! Although, I must say that the plan looks pretty good. Maybe a bit more higher mileage runs than I was counting on, but what the heck...go big or go home, right?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will check them all out and decide which best suits me.

This is the plan out of Pftizinger's Advanced Marathoning book. I should have mentioned that. But yes, Road to Boston. You can do it. :smile:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I liked Greg McMillan ' s plan, but found it a little complex for modifying to fit my needs, So I'm modifying Higdon's Advanced 1. I preferred it to his intermediate and novice plans because it includes one day a week of hills, 800s or tempo and one pace run. It's 6 days a week though, but he says you can swap out the easy Mon or wed runs for cross training if you feel you need too. I've only been running 5 days, but hitting the weekly mileage by running more each day. But it's my first marathon and Hal pretty much advised me against everything I'm doing as a first timer!

i don't bother with the interactive program. I just printed off the schedule and wrote it out in my old school paper planner.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've been using Brad Hudson's plans in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Run-Faster-5K-Marathon-Coach/dp/0767928229

Definitely been making me faster/stronger.