New Here :)

Options
Hi everyone! I just went yesterday for my very first consult. In about 6 months, I'm going to have RNY. I have to wait 6 months because of insurance pre-certification requirements, but I am very excited about this new chapter in my life.

I'm hoping to make some friends here who have been through the surgery, or like me, are prepping for surgery. I wish you all the best of luck & health.

Replies

• grace20072010
    Options
    Hello! I am new here too. I had revision surgery from lap band to RNY 4 weeks ago. I have had some problems with chronic nausea so I am not in love with the RNY yet but I have dropped weight and my surgeon seems to think the nausea will eventually go away. I remember the 6 month certification process (I had to go through it for the band - I did not have to do it with the RNY because the band was a medical failure and had to be removed). My biggest advice is to start facing life without a lot of food now because when you suddenly cannot eat a lot, it can be an emotional shock. After my band surgery I became extremely depressed (granted I was also having horrible complications). I was more mentally prepared for my revision although it is still tough as I didn't realize how often I turned to food for comfort until the food was taken away from me.

Anyway, welcome and best of luck to you in the months to come!
  • Gingersfit
    Gingersfit Posts: 31
    Options
    Welcome! I am 4 weeks out from RNY and down 25 pounds! Woot! I think it's the best thing I could have done for myself. I've had no nausea, vomiting -- felt pretty tired the first 2 weeks but I also developed pneumonia right after I was released and had to be readmitted, so that threw me off my game.

I haven't had cravings for food (except those freakin' little miniature cupcakes that call my name when I walk in the grocery store) and really never feel hungry. No more addiction to Diet Coke (haven't thought of having one once). Eating healthier, cleaner foods than I ever did presurgery.

So far, no buyer's remorse. If you haven't already found bariatricpal.com, check it out. There are great support forums there to help you out pre and post op.
  • shrinkingkristy
    shrinkingkristy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi grace and GingersFit!

Grace - I was considering lap band, but the surgeon and the RNs told me that they had quite a few patients having trouble with erosion and were ending up converting to RNY, that's why I ended up changing my mind. And I am trying already to start reducing my intake...chewing things 25-35 times like my nutritionist suggested is actually helping with that immensely! I hope your nausea subsides soon.

Ginger - I am SO happy to hear you say you're no longer addicted to Diet Coke. I have horrible soda addiction, which my nutritionist is trying to have me slowly wean off of. And I will definitely check out bariatricpal.com, thanks for the tip!
  • LorrainePratt13
    LorrainePratt13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am new too. I am 2 months into my 3 month certification process so my surgery could be as soon as the end of August. ACK

Feel free to friend me :)
  • jomamacita7
    jomamacita7 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm still pretty much a newbie here too! Like Roxy, I am 2 months into my 3 month certification process. My doctor's office can submit to insurance the middle of August! It's really exciting and I'm obsessing about everything related to RNY!
  • shrinkingkristy
    shrinkingkristy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How exciting! I am hoping to have surgery next Feb or March.

Btw, I sent a friend request. :smile:
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ah, the whole 6 month waiting thing. I remember that. I'm 22 months post-op for RNY. Make sure you take care of all of your presurgical requirements while waiting. It makes the process so much easier, and you just coast into the surgery date without having to scramble around to do tests, etc.

Also, if you are still flexible, I suggest you at least check out the sleeve. Don't get me wrong, the RNY was the correct surgery for me, but some people don't like the idea of not being able use NSAID medications (motrin, ibuprofen, Aleve, etc) anymore, or can't deal with the higher vitamin requirements that RNY surgery entails.

Be prepared for the long haul! The first 6-8 months post surgery is the easiest. After that you still have to work at it. This is a tool to help you change your lifestyle, but if you slip back into old habits you can gain it all back. The stat I was given is that 50% of weight loss surgery patients gain it all back in 5 years or less.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am new here as well. I have made it through most of my preop classes and appointments. One class left tomorrow, with a sleep apnea and follow up w/ my PCP next week, I should be moving on to meet with the surgeon.
  • SimplySusan63
    SimplySusan63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I had the sleeve done 5/5/14, so I am 11 weeks post-op and down 52 pounds.

This is a very exciting time for you. You are taking one step at a time to accomplish a great goal. It's difficult at times. It's exciting at times. And at times it can be scary. All of that is normal. You are doing well to start learning new behaviors now. Slowing down eating, chewing 25-30 times, just being more aware of your food and exercise. You will need all of these tools.

My 2 food addictions were popcorn and Dr Pepper. I first gave up the popcorn (I had been eating one bag every evening for years). It was hard. I was addicted and it was a habit. I had to change the way I spent my time so that I could break that cycle. Once I felt good about having that under control I gave up the soda. This doesn't sound like much but for me these were big hurdles. I had been trying to give them up for years. I was bound and determined to do this and do it right.

Finally, I'd like to add to others who've suggested the gastric sleeve. The sleeve is a wonderful option. It does not modify your body as much and there are fewer restrictions. I feel great and I don't have issues with vitamin deficiencies. I am able to eat most foods without any issues. The sleeve is simply a reduction in the size of your stomach.

Good luck and enjoy the journey! There's a lot of life out there!
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group as well.
    All I have done so far is get a referral letter from my Dr. I don't even have insurance yet and haven't even booked my first appt with the clinic. I'm starting to feel so overwhelmed and not sure where to go from here. I really really need this but I starting to think it isn't going to happen :(
  • moonlitrose25
    moonlitrose25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just got the referral from my PCP. Still have to get more blood work done and I'm getting an Echo Stress test done on Friday. I've already started to change my eating habits and starting with a little more activity. I'm excited for this process but I know it's going to be a lot of work. My dad is getting the surgery in November and I can't wait to see how he does. He's had a lot of classes and appointments to get ready (8 months all together). Hope mine process is a little faster. I know my insurance covers everything but not sure what the prequalifications are as far as classes and tests.