Best Spring Marathon's for trying to BQ

Options
Okay, I have officially decided that I am going to try to BQ in 2015. I'm thinking I'll make my first attempt to be in late spring - so I'm looking for recommendations on good courses sometime during that time frame.

I live in Colorado, so if I could find something somewhat close that would be appreciated, but might consider traveling for the right race (although probably only within the US of A).

I am going to be working my butt of to get myself to the kind of pace I need to BQ (3:35), so I'm looking for all the help I can get when selecting a course. My thoughts are one of these options:

1. FLAT (and I mean for real, FLAT) at Sea Level
2. Downhill anywhere (with the exception of Everest basecamp or something haha)
3. Downhill at Sea Level (most ideal!! :)

When referring to downhill, I'm thinking a nice gradual downhill - nothing that's going to kill my quads.

I realize this is a lot of criteria, so if you have any recommendations that meet some of this criteria but not all, that's okay too! I realize I probably can't get everything I want here...

And obviously, it must be a USATF certified course!

Thanks fellow running friends :)

Replies

• vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Kansas!!! Garmin marathon
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want a fast downhill that is close to you, you should do the Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon. Yes, the first half is uphill, but after that zoooooooom! It's the first week of June though. I'll be traveling back there to run it with an old running buddy.

http://www.deadwoodmickelsontrailmarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/small-dwd-pdf-map.pdf

ETA Leading Ladies Marathon in Spearfish SD. But it's in summer too, with an 18mi drop of about 2600ft.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Not in the Spring, but end of the year. Fast.

http://runcim.org/
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    A little far for you but the Albany Marathon here in Georgia is in early March. Lots of people BQ there. I'm signed up for it and it will be my 2nd marathon.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Myrtle Beach. Flat as a pancake, February, generally has nice cool weather (except the one year that it was cancelled due to a freak snowstorm). I set my HM PR there and the second half is more of the same.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I'm interested in this. I might be running after a BQ myself in the spring. I'll keep an eye on that thread!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Great advice so far, yes, I heard that CIM is great, if I lived on the west cost I too would like to do that one, one day!

Phoenix Marathon, in March is supposed to be awesome, I am considering this one myself as a backup.

In Colorado, I believe Steamboat, in June (downhill) is a pretty good qualifier... but maybe that is too late in the year.
  • davemunger
    Options
    In Colorado, I believe Steamboat, in June (downhill) is a pretty good qualifier... but maybe that is too late in the year.

Didn't work for me, lol. But if you are acclimatized to the elevation it might work. I think flat and sea level is a better bet.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - I've got a lot of research to do!

Just from my brief looking, Phoenix could be good - it's a good time frame and is a net downhill course at a lower elevation than I'm used to...
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Not too far from you-Lincoln (NE) Marathon first weekend of May. Very flat. 1 hill. I've run it several times. BQs common on this course for runners attempting to BQ.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    All you CIM proponents need to check the weather reports, 3 years ago it was ran in a torrential downpour and last year people DNF'd with hypothermia.

Mountains 2 Beach in Ventura in mid May has a good bit of downhill but it is a little steep, my quads were mad at me for a couple days after. I have heard that the LA Marathon is a favorable course but I haven't ran it to verify.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    All you CIM proponents need to check the weather reports, 3 years ago it was ran in a torrential downpour and last year people DNF'd with hypothermia.

I remember that December 2012 weekend well because I was slogging through miles and miles of mud at the North Face 50 Mile. CIM was the next day and the storm that walloped us on Saturday kept going through Sunday morning.

My marathon PR is at CIM. It's hit or miss with Northern California weather in December. At mine it looked threatening for rain then got uncomfortably warm and muggy.
  • Cooriander
    Options

Didn't work for me, lol. But if you acclimatize to the elevation, it might work. I think the flat and sea level is a better bet.

Yes, that is an issue, it starts at 8,135 ft! I have issues when I am above 5,000 feet, and my 1st BQ attempt will be in September and that one also starts at 8K+ ft, and I am close to sea level, so yes it worries me. I will definitely need a backup. When I suggested it I considered that Kavery is probably at altitude already.

I am considering 3 as backups. The backups that I am considering are Peak to Creek, NC (down hill), at the end of October, but may be too close to the September attempt, Jackson Bank (super flat, and a loop), or the Phoenix in March. :D input on any of these are welcome. I have a slight preference for downhill because it works well for my poor left Achilles tendon, my quads do get a bit sore but not too bad.
  • davemunger
    Options
    The backups that I am considering are Peak to Creek, NC (down hill), at the end of October, but may be too close to the September attempt

I just ran the main downhill portion of Peak to Creek. I'd say it's a pretty nice one to try if you are a solid downhill runner; the gravel road is very forgiving on your legs and it is not too steep. Because all of Steamboat is on pavement I'd say the downhill was tougher, plus it has more uphills at the end. Here is a friend's account of BQing on the Peak to Creek course (which was called Ridge to Bridge until 2013):

http://thesocklessrunner.blogspot.com/2012/10/no-room-for-error-recap-of-ridge-to.html

And here's my race last week (which I think Cooriander has seen):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/davemunger/view/dave-s-road-to-pike-s-peak-the-scream-and-the-cry-679606

And my recap of Steamboat:

http://mungerruns.blogspot.com/2011/06/race-recap-steamboat-marathon.html
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    In for the knowledge.
  • Cooriander
    Options
    Hi Dave, Ouch on the Steamboat high altitude recap, now I am even more worried about my September attempt. OMG!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Steamboat does look like it could be a good one, and I'd probably be okay with the altitude. I just raced Aspen Valley which was 7800' and didn't have a problem (and of course living at 4500' helps a lot!). It's getting a little later into summer than I want, so it might be a good "second attempt", if I don't get it on an earlier one.

I'm also looking at Colorado Marathon in Fort Collins right now - first week in May. Anyone done that one? I know a few people locally who have, but I'd love to read a race recap!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    +1 to Mountains to Beaches in Ventura, CA. Kind of more downhill though.

Rock n Roll New Orleans is by far the fastest flattest course I've ever run. Seriously. It's going to be held in January though.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Nowhere near you but I heard that a lot of runners run the Houston marathon to BQ. I heard it is a flat course and of course Houston is at sea level. I'm nowhere near even running a marathon so please take this information with a heap of salt. I just heard this from a few friends.