Surgery date set!!!

I have my official surgery date! I will be getting sleeved on August 28th, I am beyond excited as this has been such a process. My insurance did not make it easy on me. I started the process in December, I am happy to get to this point.

I have ordered some sample of protein since I dont have one that I am loyal to. I just have been sticking to the premier one. I am not a big sweet person so some of these flavors scare me with how sweet they sound lol

For those of you that have through the post op eating phase, what tips do you have for me? Anything you wish you would have bought before hand? Anything you wished you would have known?

Replies

• JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    I had to get lactaid milk as I became lactose intolerant! We had to drink sugar free carnation instant breakfast for 3 meals the first few weeks and at end of week one I was really sick. After I switched to lactaid I was fine.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Follow your instructions to the letter! Don't eat processed carbs such as rice, bread, pasta for a good six months. You honestly won't miss them.

I think the most important one, though is eat only one new food at at time! For RNY my tastes changed, and my body reacted differently to food. If you eat two new foods at the same time, and you get sick, you then don't know which food did it. Take it slow and be prepared to be amazed at how much as changed! I do hear of many people that become lactose intolerant. My wife is one of them. Personally, I found that I can't eat shrimp anymore.

In addition, pay attention to your body more closely. When full, stop eating, even if you haven't eaten your full amount.

So now, sit back and enjoy the ride! The first six months is the best part. Step on that scale once a week and just simply watch the weight melt off! You'll be amazed at how quickly it happens!
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Did your surgeon's office suggest that you get baby plates and utensils? Mine did and it made a huge difference mentally. I still use the baby plate and/or a saucer and I'm 22 months post RNY.

The other thing I could not live without is my digital food scale. So, if you have not purchased one that is my suggestion.
  • calgurl855
    calgurl855 Posts: 31
    Follow your instructions to the letter! Don't eat processed carbs such as rice, bread, pasta for a good six months. You honestly won't miss them.

I think the most important one, though is eat only one new food at at time! For RNY my tastes changed, and my body reacted differently to food. If you eat two new foods at the same time, and you get sick, you then don't know which food did it. Take it slow and be prepared to be amazed at how much as changed! I do hear of many people that become lactose intolerant. My wife is one of them. Personally, I found that I can't eat shrimp anymore.

In addition, pay attention to your body more closely. When full, stop eating, even if you haven't eaten your full amount.

So now, sit back and enjoy the ride! The first six months is the best part. Step on that scale once a week and just simply watch the weight melt off! You'll be amazed at how quickly it happens!

Thanks! I am excited and ready for this new stage of life :)
  • calgurl855
    calgurl855 Posts: 31
    Did your surgeon's office suggest that you get baby plates and utensils? Mine did and it made a huge difference mentally. I still use the baby plate and/or a saucer and I'm 22 months post RNY.

The other thing I could not live without is my digital food scale. So, if you have not purchased one that is my suggestion.

They did not suggest that but that is a good idea. I will pick some up the next time I go to Target. I have a digital food scale already, thank goodness that thing has been a life saver.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    I have having the sleeve next week and this is what I've bought to prepare. I have a 1-2 week liquid only diet after surgery. I bought: a large pack of isopure zero (clear and protein), sample packs of syntrax nectar (clear protein), unjury chicken soup (clear protein), crystal light like flavorings (but with Stevia), premier protein, unjury unflavored, unjury chocolate, sugar free jello.. I still need to get: liquid tylenol, pepcid, gas-x and benefiber. I also ordered a David Sedaris Audible book for the hospital.
  • csmccord
    I have having the sleeve next week and this is what I've bought to prepare. I have a 1-2 week liquid only diet after surgery. I bought: a large pack of isopure zero (clear and protein), sample packs of syntrax nectar (clear protein), unjury chicken soup (clear protein), crystal light like flavorings (but with Stevia), premier protein, unjury unflavored, unjury chocolate, sugar free jello.. I still need to get: liquid tylenol, pepcid, gas-x and benefiber. I also ordered a David Sedaris Audible book for the hospital.

Sounds like a pretty good list. You may want to consider getting some milk of magnesia as well. For me the fiber actually made the issue worse the first few weeks. Once I could eat soft foods, I switched over to greek yogurt. I've been able to regulate my issue simply by eating greek yogurt on a regular basis. Constipation is certainly common due to the amount of protein you end up eating compared to other foods. I'm almost 2 years post op and I still occasionally have issues with it!
  • pocketrocket111
    pocketrocket111 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm 2nd week post op VSG did you have issues whilst eating like "gulping air" feel like when I eat I have gulped air which in turn hurts and makes me burp which is also painful. still eating relatively smooth foods like yoghurt and custard. Today I had soft white fresh fish. Same thing. :embarassed:
  • csmccord
    I'm 2nd week post op VSG did you have issues whilst eating like "gulping air" feel like when I eat I have gulped air which in turn hurts and makes me burp which is also painful. still eating relatively smooth foods like yoghurt and custard. Today I had soft white fresh fish. Same thing. :embarassed:

I had the RNY, but the issues and recovery are much the same in the beginning. That full feeling is VERY, VERY common in the first few weeks. At two weeks I was still 100% liquid diet though.

I suggest making sure you chew very thoroughly. The food should be applesauce consistency before you swallow. Take it very slowly. Your body and you still need to figure out how to work with eat other. It should take you about 30 minutes to eat your meal. Yes I know an ounce or two of food doesn't really seem like a meal, but it is.

When my doctor told me how big my stomach was after surgery I was shocked. Look at your thumb. Now look at it from the tip to the first joint. That's about the size of of the inside of your stomach after surgery. It's going to be very swollen and inflamed.

Just take it easy and don't try to push yourself to eat. You can get enough protein from just your shakes. Consider the solid food partially optional at this point.