White Potatoes - Whole30

Options

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Personally, I found that omitting them during my W30 sort of forced me to try new veggies. Potatoes are a little too "easy" for me and a bit of a food with no breaks. But, I have started eating them again. I just don't use them as my go-to veggie anymore.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at the "are white potatoes paleo?" thing, and I think that while they're technically "practical" Paleo, I'm not sure it's a wise inclusion to Whole 30. They're far more ubiquitous than sweet potatoes, and, like you said, too "easy" as a go-to. Cutting them out for a month forces you to look to other vegetables, even if it is sweet potatoes or yucca. As they've said before, it's only a month, get over it.

But...it's their program, who am I to argue?
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    I do sort of wonder if they are starting to "sell out" a little to make it "easier" for people. Which is dumb. Oh well, if/when I do another Whole30, I'll probably leave the white potatoes out. I do keep butter in though (I left it out the first few times).
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It's a surprising decision and I think it will just open the door for non-compliance.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I dunno, it is their program so I guess if they want to include them then they can/should. Personally, I have found that I much prefer sweet potatoes so if I was doing the Whole30 I would likely not have white potatoes anyway.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    For me, potatoes of any kind are not an every day food, not even sweet potatoes. I think it all depends on the individual though. Obviously, highly active people who no longer struggle with metabolic disorder may be able to consume them with no issues. Unfortunately, potatoes are a trigger food for me and starch can lead me to cravings and bingeing. One size does NOT fit all when it comes to what food works and doesn't for each individual within a Paleo template.

PS. white potatoes are also a nightshade. I have to limit nightshades and would rather stick to tomatoes and peppers even if I could handle the starch.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It's a non issue for me. I can't do potatoes, nightshades cause me joint pain for at least three days. Otherwise, I think it might be something like rice in my case -- too many carbs in a compact package.

If it makes the Whole 30 easier for some folks, then great, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    It's a non issue for me. I can't do potatoes, nightshades cause me joint pain for at least three days. Otherwise, I think it might be something like rice in my case -- too many carbs in a compact package.

If it makes the Whole 30 easier for some folks, then great, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Yup, me too.

I just got to thinking: I have metabolic disorder and so do lots of people who decide to do Whole30. Including white potatoes would be a complete fail for me and I would end my W30 thinking it's nothing but BS, so.... "allowing" white potatoes might do more harm than good for most people who desperately need a Paleo lifestyle.

It really does seem that some of the mainstream Paleo experts are modifying their stance to make it "easier" or less drastic for the masses, and to be honest, that doesn't impress me at all. I came to Paleo because I was sick and dying; I needed a drastic change, not something that would be "easy" or be similar to the diet that made me fat/sick in the first place. :noway:
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options

-1 to the change. Potatoes are a food with no breaks in our household; my husband (and I, to an only slightly lesser extent) could easily hoover pounds of them a day. Mashed, baked, roasted, fried makes no difference. The restriction on having to make my own fries/chips is laughably trivial; I have a mandoline. Potatoes absolutely push other vegetables off our plates and lead to overeating.

I understand why they made the compromise, but I really think they're overlooking the psychological aspect of non-dessert comfort food. They seem to think of SWYPO as only dessert, and don't really get that for many people, non-dessert foods are SWYPO too. We didn't touch any of the Chinese food recipes or pizza replacements in Well Fed 1 & 2 during our W30. Even the concept of spaghetti squash pasta or zoodles was kind of dubious for us.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

-1 to the change. Potatoes are a food with no breaks in our household; my husband (and I, to an only slightly lesser extent) could easily hoover pounds of them a day. Mashed, baked, roasted, fried makes no difference. The restriction on having to make my own fries/chips is laughably trivial; I have a mandoline. Potatoes absolutely push other vegetables off our plates and lead to overeating.

I understand why they made the compromise, but I really think they're overlooking the psychological aspect of non-dessert comfort food. They seem to think of SWYPO as only dessert, and don't really get that for many people, non-dessert foods are SWYPO too. We didn't touch any of the Chinese food recipes or pizza replacements in Well Fed 1 & 2 during our W30. Even the concept of spaghetti squash pasta or zoodles was kind of dubious for us.

^Completely AGREE with the above. Pre-Paleo I totally was more addicted to potato-based foods than sugary foods. My trigger foods continue to be chips, fries, etc.

(I do like zucchini noodles though and they are very low in sugar/starch.)
  • SnicciFit
    Options

I couldn't agree more. Also, some have mentioned that things like paleo mayo & ranch dressing...etc. are just as SWYPO as desserts. As much as it pains me to admit it, there's some truth to that. My personal opinion is that it's only 30 days. You should challenge yourself to find more nutritious foods to eat for those 30 days and after that, if you feel so inclined, eat some potatoes!