Lifting during training

Options
MrsSchimmy
MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
Let me start by saying that I am a runner. But I am also a lifter of really heavy things.

This being said, I am just past halfway point in my training towards my first half marathon. I've done more 5Ks than I can count and enough 10Ks that they don't seem to be all that long anymore. But I do love to lift. Since it is race season, I have increased my running drastically and don't lift nearly as much or nearly as often as I do during off season.

My question is to any runners who lift:
What is your weekly lifting routine when running 30-40 miles per week?

On days I run longer than 40 minutes (~2 times a week), I do not lift. I also don't have time to be in the gym longer than an hour and a half. I want to lift with my maintenance runs but because I like to lift REALLY heavy, I find I am either rushing through my sets or don't complete all the exercises I would like.

Comments? Suggestions? What works for you?

Replies

• julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Options
    Hey! I'm not sure if I lift as heavy as you do, but I do lift weights and run. My weekly schedule is about 25-30 miles per week of running and 2 days per week of lifting. I find that any more lifting than that interferes with my running - especially lunges, deadlifts and squats!! During my spring HM training, my week usually looked like this:

Monday - off
    Tuesday - 3-4mi run + lifting
    Wednesday - hills or speed training
    Thursday - 4-5mi easy run
    Friday - 3-4mi run + lifting
    Saturday - 6mi easy run
    Sunday - long run (8-13mi, depending on the week)

Good luck with your training!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I go with the Matt Fitzgerald philosophy: Go in, Lift Heavy, Go home. He recommends not hitting the same area a bunch of times or doing too many sets.

So I lift twice a week these days, once at home and once at the gym. At home I use 15-20lb dumbbells and then at the gym I use the heavy lifting area.

I have become kinda fluid about which days I go. I use to lift on the second of two rest days and then on an easy run day, but now I just fit it in when I can, sometimes it's after a long run, sometimes its on the day I run a double. I haven't felt any detrimental effects from this...
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If your weekly mileage is 30-40 miles per week, I am guessing that is running 4-5 days a week. That is going to mean that you are going to have to lift on running days. That will be very hard and I expect you will not be able to maintain it for very long.
    I lift and I run. I find that the runs I take the day after lifting are very hard and very slow, particularly after deadlifting.
    If I were to make a suggestion, I would say 'give up the heavy weight-lifting while you train for the race.' You can do two days of cross-training with your running -- push-ups, pull-ups, air squats, yoga, sprints, and jumps, etc. -- and that will be much less likely to interfere with your running.
    Heavy lifting takes the strength out of your body (legs) both the day of the lifting and the day after, and then you get in the habit of being slow and not challenging yourself when you are running. You don't want that before a race. You want to train to improve your speed and stamina. You do that best by doing more miles.
    You can take up lifting again after the race.
  • MrsSchimmy
    Options
    Hey! I'm not sure if I lift as heavy as you do, but I do lift weights and run. My weekly schedule is about 25-30 miles per week of running and 2 days per week of lifting. I find that any more lifting than that interferes with my running - especially lunges, deadlifts and squats!! During my spring HM training, my week usually looked like this:

Monday - off
    Tuesday - 3-4mi run + lifting
    Wednesday - hills or speed training
    Thursday - 4-5mi easy run
    Friday - 3-4mi run + lifting
    Saturday - 6mi easy run
    Sunday - long run (8-13mi, depending on the week)

Good luck with your training!

Your week looks very similar to mine. I guess I need to figure out a way to make the lifting quicker on the days I'm also running.

I go with the Matt Fitzgerald philosophy: Go in, Lift Heavy, Go home. He recommends not hitting the same area a bunch of times or doing too many sets.

So I lift twice a week these days, once at home and once at the gym. At home I use 15-20lb dumbbells and then at the gym I use the heavy lifting area.

I have become kinda fluid about which days I go. I use to lift on the second of two rest days and then on an easy run day, but now I just fit it in when I can, sometimes it's after a long run, sometimes its on the day I run a double. I haven't felt any detrimental effects from this...

I am very familiar with this philosophy. In fact, I'm one of the only women in my gym that lifts more than 15lb dumbbells or body weight squats. However, at this point in my training for my race, lifting that heavy just isn't feasible within my time limits. As my long runs are now at 10 miles and getting longer, I don't have time lift afterwards. I guess I just need to let go of my beloved HEAVY lifting for now and just lift...
    If your weekly mileage is 30-40 miles per week, I am guessing that is running 4-5 days a week. That is going to mean that you are going to have to lift on running days. That will be very hard and I expect you will not be able to maintain it for very long.
    I lift and I run. I find that the runs I take the day after lifting are very hard and very slow, particularly after deadlifting.
    If I were to make a suggestion, I would say 'give up the heavy weight-lifting while you train for the race.' You can do two days of cross-training with your running -- push-ups, pull-ups, air squats, yoga, sprints, and jumps, etc. -- and that will be much less likely to interfere with your running.
    Heavy lifting takes the strength out of your body (legs) both the day of the lifting and the day after, and then you get in the habit of being slow and not challenging yourself when you are running. You don't want that before a race. You want to train to improve your speed and stamina. You do that best by doing more miles.
    You can take up lifting again after the race.

Yes, I currently run 5 days a week. 1 complete rest day and 1 active rest day that usually consists of lifting. I do lift on my shorter run days currently but am still trying to lift what I was during the winter (which I shouldn't be). So I have identified one part where I can reevaluate my routines. I don't run after leg day. NEVER. I wouldn't make it more than 1/4 mile.

I'm not looking to give up lifting completely, just asking more about how runners lift while training for races to maintain muscle mass (or lose as little as possible).
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I run ~25 miles a week (4 - 5 days per week). I lift every other day and am following the Stronglifts 5x5 program at the moment. On lifting days I warm up for 15 - 30 minutes on a cardio machine, do my lifts, and then run 3 miles easy on the treadmill. On running days my partner, Haley the 90 pound black German Shepherd, and I pound the pavement for 5 - 7 miles in the wee hours of the morning. I have actually found that the longer I have followed this lifting program the better my running has become. Prior to Stronglifts I was following my own (i.e. concocted) circuit training proram - it gave me a really nice workout but didn't really have any long term goal and it didn't do much, if anything, for my running. I much prefer what I am doing now and intend to keep following this routine for the foreseeable future. Lift heavy! Run strong! - Doug
  • MrsSchimmy
    Options
    I run ~25 miles a week (4 - 5 days per week). I lift every other day and am following the Stronglifts 5x5 program at the moment. On lifting days I warm up for 15 - 30 minutes on a cardio machine, do my lifts, and then run 3 miles easy on the treadmill. On running days my partner, Haley the 90 pound black German Shepherd, and I pound the pavement for 5 - 7 miles in the wee hours of the morning. I have actually found that the longer I have followed this lifting program the better my running has become. Prior to Stronglifts I was following my own (i.e. concocted) circuit training proram - it gave me a really nice workout but didn't really have any long term goal and it didn't do much, if anything, for my running. I much prefer what I am doing now and intend to keep following this routine for the foreseeable future. Lift heavy! Run strong! - Doug

Finally!! I know how much my weight training has helped in my running and I don't want to give it up. You are the first one to mention how it can help your running! I will have to look into the stronglifts program that you mentioned. I haven't heard of that.
    But if it is what I assume it is (5 sets of 5 reps), I am definitely interested! Thank you for your comment!!
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    IMO, heavy lifting is very important for runners. First, especially during off season work, lifting keeps your body burning more fat than just running, keeping your lean mass up and weight down: leaner, lighter, faster. It strengthens the structural elements of the body, especially the legs and hip areas you need to run strong. Then there is the spring factor-- a loose spring requires more energy and loses more energy when it makes impact while a stiff spring requires less and loses less. When you lift, you make it so that your foot/leg hits the ground and springs off and forward with less energy required and less energy lost because it is stiffer, more structurally sound.
  • Ericav05
    Ericav05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I usually run between 35-45 miles a week and lift three times (heavy) as well. Two days a week, I'll lift and do 3-4 miles, and on the other day I lift, that's all I do (usually leg day). I'll usually lift in the morning, then do my run after work so that I'm not putting too much strain on my body at one time.

Schedule:

Monday: AM: Arms - PM 4 miles
    Tuesday: PM speed work (7 miles, total)
    Wednesday: AM Legs
    Thursday: Hills (6-8 miles)
    Friday: AM: back/chest - PM 4
    Saturday: Long run
    Sunday: Rest

It took a lot of tinkering to see what worked best for me, but I really like this schedule, because I don't feel overwhelmed, or weak on my runs. Hope that helps!
  • MrsSchimmy
    Options
    IMO, heavy lifting is very important for runners. First, especially during off season work, lifting keeps your body burning more fat than just running, keeping your lean mass up and weight down: leaner, lighter, faster. It strengthens the structural elements of the body, especially the legs and hip areas you need to run strong. Then there is the spring factor-- a loose spring requires more energy and loses more energy when it makes impact while a stiff spring requires less and loses less. When you lift, you make it so that your foot/leg hits the ground and springs off and forward with less energy required and less energy lost because it is stiffer, more structurally sound.

I couldn't agree more! Except during offseason (for racing) I get lifting pretty heavy which increases my weight and I make a lot of gains. I don't race in late winter/early spring so I use that as my "lean down" period. However, this year seems to be more difficult for me to give up my lifting even just a little bit. I want to improve my running and I want my strength training to assist in that area and not hinder it.

Hey there,

I usually run between 35-45 miles a week and lift three times (heavy) as well. Two days a week, I'll lift and do 3-4 miles, and on the other day I lift, that's all I do (usually leg day). I'll usually lift in the morning, then do my run after work so that I'm not putting too much strain on my body at one time.

Schedule:

Monday: AM: Arms - PM 4 miles
    Tuesday: PM speed work (7 miles, total)
    Wednesday: AM Legs
    Thursday: Hills (6-8 miles)
    Friday: AM: back/chest - PM 4
    Saturday: Long run
    Sunday: Rest

It took a lot of tinkering to see what worked best for me, but I really like this schedule, because I don't feel overwhelmed, or weak on my runs. Hope that helps!

Thank you for your input! In an ideal world, I would LOVE to be able to separate running and my lifting but my schedule does not permit that. Like you, I have one complete rest day and one day devoted to lifting (also the day I do legs). Trying to find a routine that works for me in every area is pretty difficult. Being that my schedule changes due to my kids' activities, I am rearranging my workouts about once a month.

I'm just trying to see what is working for other runners so that maybe something similar with a few tweaks will work for me...
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and/or strength train (doing things like push-ups etc) at least twice per week, and up to 4 times per week (some of my strength training sessions are only 15 minutes and only involve my own body weight, sometimes I'm lifting for 30+ minutes and focusing on power lifting, I vary up my routine to keep it from getting boring as I don't enjoy lifting or strength training like I do running). Basically, I don't do it excessively, but I also don't ignore it. It's a part of my routine.

I always lift even when I train (though I may take a few days off from before a race, as I don't want to be sore from strength training on race day). Even when that means lifting on the same day as running, which is unavoidable as I run about 40 miles per week right now (I try to make sure I don't lift on days I'm doing longer runs. But if I"m doing 4-5 miles of speedwork or hills, or taking an "easy" day, then I'll lift or do strength training afterwards).
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    one of my at home routine using the dumbbells is:

dumbbell squats
    Military Press
    Dumbbell deadlifts
    Tricep kickbacks
    dumbbell chest press
    Dumbbell calf raises
    bicep curls

I go through the routine twice or I do each exercise with 8-12 reps x2, sometimes adding variations to the arm exercises. It doesn't take long at all, so it is easy to slot in anywhere.
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    I lift heavy 3 times a week and climb twice a weeks whichever pretty much lifting. I don't think lifting really helps my climbing or running much but i am ok with that.
  • MrsSchimmy
    Options
    I lift heavy and/or strength train (doing things like push-ups etc) at least twice per week, and up to 4 times per week (some of my strength training sessions are only 15 minutes and only involve my own body weight, sometimes I'm lifting for 30+ minutes and focusing on power lifting, I vary up my routine to keep it from getting boring as I don't enjoy lifting or strength training like I do running). Basically, I don't do it excessively, but I also don't ignore it. It's a part of my routine.

I always lift even when I train (though I may take a few days off from before a race, as I don't want to be sore from strength training on race day). Even when that means lifting on the same day as running, which is unavoidable as I run about 40 miles per week right now (I try to make sure I don't lift on days I'm doing longer runs. But if I"m doing 4-5 miles of speedwork or hills, or taking an "easy" day, then I'll lift or do strength training afterwards).

I, too, have to lift on running days because I am running at such a mileage for the week that it is unavoidable. I did my first run and lift day yesterday where I only lifted to maintain and it wasn't nearly as much fun as lifting to build is :grumble:

I guess it's just coming to terms with not lifting as much. Because, unlike you, I LOVE to lift. I feel so powerful! :bigsmile:
    one of my at home routine using the dumbbells is:

dumbbell squats
    Military Press
    Dumbbell deadlifts
    Tricep kickbacks
    dumbbell chest press
    Dumbbell calf raises
    bicep curls

I go through the routine twice or I do each exercise with 8-12 reps x2, sometimes adding variations to the arm exercises. It doesn't take long at all, so it is easy to slot in anywhere.

Great routine! I will have to try that. What I realized yesterday while lifting is that I'm used to doing mulitple exercises for a muscle group. For example, when I do shoulders I do shoulder press, front and lateral raises followed by reverse flies, then maybe finish with some cable work. I do that to hit all areas of my shoulders and create nice, round boulders. I really should minimize my routine quite a bit...
    I lift heavy 3 times a week and climb twice a weeks whichever pretty much lifting. I don't think lifting really helps my climbing or running much but i am ok with that.

I can say that my time has DEFINITELY improved with lifting! I find I have much better endurance in my legs after I started lifting heavy about 9 months ago...