GPS, Distance tracker device or app suggestions?

Options
rocky503
rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
Hello
I am starting a conditioning effort to hike a section of the PTC in 2 years. I have an ipod touch (no smart phone) and I am looking for either an app to use on my itouch or a device with GPS to track my training. I like something that shows mapped routes, distance, Elevation gain, etc. There so much out there I am overwhemled by what to choose. So I'd either like something I can use on my itouch (no phone service) or a device not above a 100 bucks. So far I looked at run keeper, the fit bit line and Nike tracker.

I need help in picking something. I'd would like it to link up to myfitness pal for record keeping. I want something that does not require a smart phone.

Thanks for any input.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with smartphones and tablets is battery life. You mentioned you are section hiking... how long do you plan to spend at each time? I would suggest, if more than a day, that you should leave the tablet at home and use a handheld GPS to track your distance and to navigate.

I have never done the PCT, but I would guess that you will want something with topo maps for that region, which is a pricier GPS, but well worth it. Personally, I use a Garmin Oregon 450t (older model), and carry extra batteries, though they usually last awhile. I can use the Garmin software (I think it might be called Basemap?) on my computer and load my tracks back to the computer. The maps are very good quality on the better units (Oregon, Montana, for example) as opposed to the eTrex units. Whatever you buy, though, try to take a look at the unit in the store and make sure it has the ability to connect to a PC to update maps at least, and I'm guessing you will probably regret not spending the extra for topo maps for that area. I'm partial to Garmin's because that is what I'm used to, but Magellen makes handheld GPS receivers also.

Whatever you do, be safe and have fun!
  • rocky503
    Options
    Thanks Medwest
    Good insight and details to think about. I am just in the early stage of figuring out what exactly I will do. Right mostly looking at a section between MT. Hood and Ashland but I may also consider hammering out a loop trip too. Safety is always my first concern and I would want access to good maps, etc. I will look into the Garmin products. I just added runkeeper to my itouch now so I can start to track my hiking mileage now.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I like Runkeeper, and use it for day hikes, but the battery on my Samsung Note 3 (which has the best battery of any smartphone) just can't take multi-day trips without a recharge. Some devices, including mine, will use Runkeeper to track based on GPS, and does not require a data connection. Others devices, I have read, do not work that way.

In addition to a handheld GPS, I always bring paper maps and compass, just in case... they are part of the 10 essentials after all.

Edit: Also, if you want to friend me on Runkeeper, send me a PM. Best of luck to you!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's a little pricey , but I use the Garmin Dakota 20 . Fits in the palm of my hand, has 3D topo map. Takes alkeline batteries, which depending on how long I keep it on, the batteries usually last 2-3 days. (on a 7-8 hr day) It also takes litheum batteries, which I have not ' tried yet, but I hear they last a long time, which would mean less weight.

I think I would want to save the Cell phone battery for emergencies
  • rocky503
    Options
    Thanks Miss Hiker

Right now I am looking into a Oregon Scientific watch, monitor. Hopefully the will meet my needs....I post when I decide on something....
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner10. I do like it but the battery is only good for about one day of recording. It is a watch you wear. You would have to carry a recharge gizmo for longer trips. The nice thing about the download is it goes on a Google map, with times and elevations, and saves your hike. You can also view many other hikes that others have shared. You can go to Garmin Connect and explore and see if other have recorded the area, this is free check it out.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 60CSx. It's old now, but has downloadable software and runs on batteries. I think for now you're probably fine with whatever you can find, but when it gets closer to your hike a good GPS would probably be the safest thing to have.
  • ebitnet
    ebitnet Posts: 4
    Options
    I've used my GarminCSx for a number of solo treks in the rockies, cycling, and for 2 weeks at Philmont Scout Ranch.
    It's lightweight and if you only use for spot locations on a map, one set of batteries will last a while (but take a spare in any case).

Personally, I'm a map/compass person, I don't like to rely on electronic gizmos when I'm out for more than 2-3 days. I just have a habit of taking a heading, counting my pace, and taking a few landmark bearings at breaks...these are recorded in my waterproof notebook and cross checked on the map at longer stops. I can usually pin-point my location within a 30m radius within a minute or so.

I don't think any electronic device would convince me to leave my map/compass at home. I had to navigate my way out of Quatico Provincial park when we got dropped off at the wrong location at the start of a 2wk trip back in the early 80's (no sat phone, no gps, no radio).

That said, I now carry a SPOT beacon which pings my location to a web-page every 10 min. It's more for the folks at home and is a good backup plan. A good set of batteries last 4-5 days as well. You can go back after the fact and trace your route.