Anyone have second thoughts pre-op?

Options
I am struggling with if I really want surgery or not. Looking at all the things I will never be able to have is kind of freaking me out. This is normal right? It isn't as hard as I am making it seem to give up all of the following right?

NSAIDS/Aleve/Advil -- this is my biggest worry because I take a form of them daily almost
Soda/carbonation -- I do drink a lot of carbonated beverages but I guess this will be doable
Straws -- I drink everything through a straw -- I am trying to drink out of glasses starting now
Rice/pasta/bread
Sleeping on stomach -- I am trying to train myself to sleep on my side - no luck yet
Steak/beef

The soonest I'd be approved for surgery is in a month.

Replies

• madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have gone into this with my eyes wide open and anything that is thought of as a "negative" is far out weighed by my health.

I take Advil periodically, but if you are taking it daily you might to look at an alternative
    I drink a lot of soda and enjoy it, but am more than willing to give it up
    Straws? Is this really going to get in your way of your health?
    Sleeping on your stomach? I believe this will only be an issue while your stomach is healing, but that is just during healing, unless there is something I am missing.
    Beef is not out of your diet for good, I know multiple people who have had RNY and they enjoy steak.

If these minor things actually are swaying your decision, I would do some soul searching. I would suspect there are other underlying things swaying you. Sorry if this sounded harsh, it just sounds like a list of minor inconveniences.
  • LorrainePratt13
    LorrainePratt13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not harsh at all - thank you!

Surgery scares me. Like I am afraid I will get ALL of the complications possible. I am also worried that in the 30 years I've been dieting I've never been able to stick to anything. So what if I don't stick to this long term too.

I was shocked my insurance only required 1 psych visit and it was 10 minutes of really nothing. Maybe I need to look for my own psych to work on some of this stuff.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with if I really want surgery or not. Looking at all the things I will never be able to have is kind of freaking me out. This is normal right? It isn't as hard as I am making it seem to give up all of the following right?

NSAIDS/Aleve/Advil -- this is my biggest worry because I take a form of them daily almost
    Soda/carbonation -- I do drink a lot of carbonated beverages but I guess this will be doable
    Straws -- I drink everything through a straw -- I am trying to drink out of glasses starting now
    Rice/pasta/bread
    Sleeping on stomach -- I am trying to train myself to sleep on my side - no luck yet
    Steak/beef

NSAIDS - I used to take Aleve daily but since I have had surgery and lost weight, I haven't needed to. No more back pain, knee pain, or foot pain.
    Sodas/Carbonation - You will get used to living without them.
    Straws - you will get used to not using them.
    Rice/Pasta/Bread - you can get used to not having them, or having much less of them.
    Sleeping on your stomach - I am a stomach sleeper. Still am. Just had to be careful the first week or so after surgery.
    Steak/Beef - I eat beef on a regular basis.

Having this surgery was the best thing I have done for my health and quality of life. We have all tried and failed - if not, we wouldn't have had or be considering surgery. I think it's normal to have reservations. It's a big deal to have surgery. You said that in 30 years of dieting you haven't been able to stick to anything, but you will really need to commit to this and have faith in yourself. You can do it if you want to.

ETA - I have had zero complications, I recovered well, and I have chosen to have therapy on my own in addition to going to support groups.
  • jomamacita7
    jomamacita7 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That might be a good idea! We all have our own issues with food....that's how we got like this. Like madmags, I agree that this list sounds like minor inconveniences, especially when compared to your overall health and well being. Have you tried Tylenol instead of NSAIDS? I no longer take NSAIDS because of decreased function in my kidneys. Tylenol helps pretty well with my arthritis. If you're still that scared about going into this, I would postpone it until you're really sure it's what you want to do! I hope you work out your insecurities and do what's best for you.

I re-read this and thought it might sound kind of harsh, but that's not how it's intended, believe me. I just wish the best for you.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    NSAIDS - Yes, this part does suck sometimes, however I believe that those with the VSG are still allowed to take them. Personally it's been 2 years for me and I've done okay without them. I have found that I need much, much less medication now than I used to. I used to get aches all the time, where as now I'm stronger and fitter and just don't hurt as much.

Carbonated beverages - I still have beer every once in awhile, however have not touched soda. Quite honestly, I don't miss it. I dumped that 2 liter a day habit cold turkey.
    Straws - Drinking out of a glass isn't that hard. It's just a matter of retraining yourself. Using straws won't kill you, as long as you let the liquid sit in your mouth for a few seconds to get the air out, and make sure not to drink too fast.
    Rice/pasta/bread - okay, this one seems harder than it really is. I haven't touched rice or pasta since surgery. Bread, yes I've done, but it's only one slice maybe one a week. I don't miss them at all. There are good substitutes for everything. Sub Quinoa for rice. Sub zucchini or spaghetti squash for pasta. Sub wraps for bread.
    Steak/beef - Really? Who told you this? I'm 22 months post op and have beef at least once a week. I've been eating steak since about 7 months post-op. The key is in the chewing. You simply have to make sure everything is well chewed to applesauce consistency.

The point is, once you are far enough out, you eat "normally". You are concentrating on the short term, and honestly, it's not that long. The main part of the restrictions really only last about 6 months. The point is that this surgery is a tool to allow you to change your lifestyle. Keep an open mind for foods, for trying new things. There are entire websites dedicated to gastric bypass recipes and lifestyles. You have to want to do these things. Yes, I questioned them before the surgery, but I questioned my ability to do it long term. However I wanted my weight gone, I wanted my life back enough I was willing to commit to the changes. Yes, I still "cheat" in terms of food. However I discovered that this surgery gave me the willpower I needed to say no to most foods. I think you'll find you have much more willpower than you ever thought possible. There will be times you don't even want to look at food.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention. My wife and I both did the RNY and had zero complications. Well, okay, I have an on and off issue with constipation, however I've learned how to manage it without medication. Both my wife and know this was the best decision that we've ever made. Our quality of life and self-confidence are both so much better than what they used to be.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am still pre-surgery (surgery date 9/30), and it has taken me a few years to get ready for the surgery. I was initially approved by my insurance in 2011. I knew I needed the surgery, but wasn't mentally on board. Luckily for me (in hindsight), my company changed insurance options and I was not able to pursue the surgery.

I pouted and whined and basically did nothing for over a year (except to gain more weight). My Primary Care Physician has always bee pro-surgery and I eventually got back on board and went through the insurance approval process again. When I got approved with my current insurance, I was more prepared to make the changes necessary, and I had proven to myself again that I was not really likely to succeed on my own.

When I went to the orientation session with my surgeon, a switch flipped, and I became energized about doing what was necessary to change my life and succeed with the surgery. The pre-surgery plan was relatively simple:

1500 calories
    100 g protein minimum
    stop soda, caffeine, alcohol
    exercise (3 times per week min)
    Log everything food/exercise

The logging requirement pointed me here, and the MFP philosophy really clicked with my engineering brain. I found this group (and the VSG group) and found a community so supportive and pleasant. The weight started falling off, and I wasn't so hungry I was gnawing off my elbow. All of a sudden, I've lost 70 pounds and it is working so simply that I was having second thoughts about needing the surgery at all.

I have decided to continue on and have the surgery because as Garber6th has put it so eloquently: "Maybe isn't enough". I still have 100 pounds to lose, and the surgery will allow me to lose it much more quickly. After the initial loss, the same tools and behaviors I have developed will allow me to live the rest of my life!

You have to feel right about the surgery and be confident that you *can* make the life changes necessary. There is no race, and I am an advocate for *not* trying to rush the process. Become comfortable with your new behaviors and see the power of caloric deficit and exercise. Then pursue the surgery if it is right for you.

Feel free to friend me or PM me if you have additional questions.

Rob
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

Surgery scares me. Like I am afraid I will get ALL of the complications possible. I am also worried that in the 30 years I've been dieting I've never been able to stick to anything. So what if I don't stick to this long term too.

I was shocked my insurance only required 1 psych visit and it was 10 minutes of really nothing. Maybe I need to look for my own psych to work on some of this stuff.

First off, I had the Gastric Sleeve, so things like no Advil/Asprin products after surgery and a lot of the rest of what RNY patients have to live with don't apply to me. I can understand your concern about that though and it's part of why I had the sleeve. But I want you to know it's normal to question your decision no matter which surgery you chose. I lost 20 pounds prior to surgery and had the normal but really stupid thought that maybe I can do this without the surgery? Truth is I had NEVER been successful at long term weight loss, always stalled and then regained. That's what made it a stupid thought. And then there's the worry that this won't work any more than anything else has. Well I'm 3 years out, 162 pounds down and working on getting the last 64 off. Yes it's slow, but it is working!.

I haven't found it hard to give up my trigger foods and I don't feel deprived. I think it's because this is my choice, my decision. RNY, Sleeve and all the rest of the weight loss surgeries are really only tools. Whichever one you have, it's a tool. Use that tool the way it's meant to be used and you will lose the excess weight. Keep using that tool for the rest of your life (in other words, don't go back to old eating habits and no exercise) and you will keep the weight off.

One more thing. I still have arthritis, I always will, but 99% of the time now I am pain free. I still carry the Aleve, but I rarely need it anymore. Some of what you need now, as the weight comes off you won't need anymore. The bonuses to weight loss are so much better than Aleve, carbonated beverages, rice/pasta/bread, etc.! You know?
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Rice/pasta/bread
    Steak/beef

Not totally understanding all the issues that you listed as giving up forever.... I'm 28 months post op after having RNY. I don't take nsaids. I have taken them maybe twice since surgery. But as a rule I don't take them. Generally they helped me with inflammation related pains pre-op. Frankly I just don't need them now. I'm down 180lbs. My chronic low back and knee pain is gone. Tylenol never used to do anything for me before and now it works just great.

I gave up soda pre-op and once I was past the 1st month without it I don't even miss it. About a year ago I was at Disneyland. It was a hot day and I was thirsty and I saw the sign for Coke on Main street USA. I tried one sip of diet coke and tossed the rest of the cup. After a year and a half of not drinking it I found the carbonation almost painful in my mouth and the coke tasted gross. But this is an easy habit to re-acquire. my SIL had RNY 10 years ago and drinks LOTS of diet Dr. Pepper every day. She's also re-gained almost all of her weight.

Straws? Some people struggle with swallowing too much air when using a straw. I'm just the opposite. My primary refillable water bottle has a straw. I use a straw everyday all day.

Rice/Pasta/Bread - you do give these up for a while (6 months or so in my surgeon's office). I can eat them now and sometimes do. Though honestly it's pretty rarely and when I do I try for whole grains only. However, it becomes a value choice to you at a certain point.....I only have so much room in my stomach, what food gives me the most value for the space? Proteins and vegetables.

Sleeping on Stomach: I could do this 5 day post op. I can't imagine why you'd think you had to give this up forever.

Beef/Steak: My surgeon allows beef and pork at 4 months post op. I eat beef and steak and pork. There is really nothing I can't eat.

There are things that don't agree with me very well anymore. For example I can eat candy, cake and ice cream. However, I feel lousy afterward. I dump and I get bloaty and gassy and it's more often than not just not worth it. Honey makes me feel sick almost instantly. But everything else I can eat no problem. My tastes have changes pretty dramatically though.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options

My husband and I both had RNY (2 months apart). Neither of us had a single complication at the time of surgery. I ended up being allergic to the 1st acid inhibitor prescribed and broke out in hives. It was a lousy couple of days on liquid children's benedryl and a new prescription and I was fine. My husband ended up having his gal bladder removed about 2 months post op. He had his 1st gall attack on a Tuesday night, the bariatric surgeon wanted to see him Wed. He was in surgery on Thursday and they kept him overnight because he was jaundiced so he came home on Friday. He missed work on Thursday and Friday and was back Monday morning. We both felt great post op and were back to work within a week.

As far as the sticking to it issue. RNY won't solve all your problems. But it will buy you enough time through force, to change your habits. It won't be that you "cheat" on your diet and blow it so you quit. For a while you will be unable to cheat without really hurting yourself and that keeps you from doing it. After a while you can totally cheat and sabotage yourself if you really want to, but by the time you get to that point physically you have changed your habits. Most of the time we don't stick to diets long enough to really change our habits (6 months, a year, 2 years). With surgery you really don't get a choice. By the time you do, your habits have changed.
  • LorrainePratt13
    LorrainePratt13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I think I am focussing on what I have to give up and how scary surgery is. I tend to overthink things a lot :)

For the NSAIDS/Aleve/Advil - I taken them almost daily for headaches/migraines or they are in the cold meds I take. If I go through with the surgery and the migraines continue I guess I can go see a nuero doc and get a prescription.

I think I am just scared. I've never had surgery before. And I know so many people who avoid surgery at all costs.

I am lucky that the only comorbidity I have is high blood pressure (which runs in the family anyway) and borderline high cholesterol. I think I need to find a psych to talk to locally.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have steak all the time. ALL. THE. TIME. You just need to wait until you are cleared for general diet and make sure to chew chew chew (or get a really tender cut like a filet mignon!)

Also, a lot of people give up bread/pasta/rice because they are carb sensitive or they are hard to go down. I occasionally have pasta and rice. I do not seem to have carb sensitivity and they do not bother me going down. Still, I do like to keep an overall eyeball on my carbs and try not to go over a certain amount each day.

I'm not a stomach sleeper, but after a week or two you will be able to roll over on your tummy and sleep on it just fine. I'm a side sleeper and had to hug my body pillow and ease over onto it for about a week and a half or so while I was healing.

I do not miss pop one bit. Once you detox off of the sugar/sweet drinks you feel so much better. Straws are bad - you just gulp down unnecessary air with them. With your newer smaller tummy, trust me, you will not want all that excess air in there!

In regard to the NSAIDS, yeah that was hard. Occasionally I still have a bit of knee pain after an overly robust workout, but I try to rest it, ice it and treat it gently. I do notice that issues like this take much less time to go away than they did when I was 60 lbs heavier. I imagine as I lose more weight this will not be an issue for me at all. For headaches and stuff, a tylenol will work fine for me.
  • grace20072010
    Options
    I had a revision from lap band to RNY 6 weeks ago. my biggest advice is make sure you are 100% ready and fully committed to changing your habits. I had the band placed in 2008. I was absolutely not ready. The band failed for me - it caused achalasia and severe reflux so it had to come out - but even with it and the side effects I had, I got it at the wrong time. I thought it would be a quick fix. I moved from the Midwest to the East Coast 6 weeks after surgery with a 1 year old and no job (I had to quit for my husband's work). I was alone with no friends, no family, no support system. I became extremely depressed. And I did not follow the rules. It took me six years to decide I was at a point where I could handle the revision. I put off the RNY because I knew I was not ready. So I think seeing a psychologist when you are in doubt is important. Best of luck with your decision.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Rice/pasta/bread
    Steak/beef

First off, no you won't be able to take the NSAIDS/Aleve/Advil, BUT...
    Who says you can't drink from a straw? I do. Or eat rice, pasta, or bread? I do. Or sleep on your stomach? Why not? I do. And you can eat beef or steak. Just chew it well. Geez. Moderation is the key here. Soda--I was a HUGE diet sodaholic, but soda's carbonation is difficult because of the burping/not burping. Some can still do it, but I can't. Maybe a sip or so, but no more.
    Rice or pasta--shoot for whole grains. Limit the breads, but carbs are GOOD. Sara Lee Delightful 45 cal multi grain or wheat bread is awesome in its fiber and protein content, and lavash or flax bread is fantastic! Rice--brown rice or even white is okay--just small amounts. Remember anyway that a serving is 1/3 cup.
    I went into this RNY with my eyes wide open, but have a surgeon and dietitian who work together and are realistic. NO ONE can live on rabbit food or no carb forever happily--well not easily for sure. I am 23 months post op and I enjoy a cupcake or cookie when I want and do not starve. I have maintained at normal BMI (mid range) since I was 8 months post op. Weight loss surgery does not mean you have to drop out of the human race. Oh, and I still eat fast food too.
  • Scooby112
    Scooby112 Posts: 4
    Options
    Roxy,

I'm 11 days pre-surgery and I'm sitting here wondering if I should do it. Can I do it? Is it worth it?

I'm scared out of my mind. I have a huge change coming up in 2 days (what do you mean I have to go on a liquid diet for 9 days pre-op?!) and then surgery (which I've never had before) and then realizing that there's no going back - I do this and everything changes.

The best decision I ever made was meeting with a therapist a year before I decided to do this, and making sure she's on speed dial as I move forward. I credit her with helping me find the courage to do this. She's tough love, keeps it real, and is the best investment I have ever made. I don't just encourage you to find a therapist/counselor to talk to as you make the decision to do this, but I urge you to absolutely do so! We may be able to physically stop ourselves from eating our weight in food (for a while anyway), but unless we get to the root of WHY we do that, many of us are just going to fall back into those bad habits.

Despite my worries, I'm moving forward - I have a great support group in my family (even though they are all very far away), the friends I have in my life (both near and far) and surprisingly, my co-workers. Two ladies have just done this surgery since the beginning of June and have been holding my hand as I go through these doubts. They are the best support I can ask for. One has had zero complications and the other just has a wound that won't close (which she blames herself for not taking it easy when they told her to do so).

All the things you are worried about are genuine worries - this means a huge lifestyle change and those things are real for you. YOU have decide if they're deal breakers though. While I have not had my surgery yet, I do feel your doubts. I wish you the best of luck as you move forward (or not) through this process. :)
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I had to do a 6 month weight loss class for my insurance company before begining the procedure at the doctor's office. Every single day during that time I changed my mind. I too was worried about all the food I would never be able to eat again.

One day I realized it wasn't actually the food but what the food represented...food was my best friend and I was afraid of losing it. But what kind of best friend makes you feel good for a minute and then makes you feel guilt, shame, hopelessness for hours and hours afterwards???

I had RNY in December 2009 and have done well with a few setbacks. I can eat pretty much whatever I want but I have to take it slow!

Prior to surgery I drank at least 4 diet pepsi's a day and was horrified at the thought of never having one again! Well guess what?? I've tried diet pepsi since surgery and I do not like it anymore!! I've tried it a few different times and both times I hated the taste! I'm perfectly happy with my Crystal Light!

I can eat steak, beef, pork, bread, pasta, and sweets...but I have to eat it slowly or I get a stomach ache.

I am so happy I had the surgery because I feel so much better than I did before! And you will too!!

It seems like a lot to do and it is but take it all one step at a time.

Start now! Dump the straws...who needs them???

The hardest for me was no drinking during meals. My family would drink a ton of liquid with meals and it took a lot of time to adjust but I did it!

Just keep doing things and it will become a habit! Believe in yourself!! :flowerforyou: