New here

Options
Hi.
I'm new to this group support thing. Actually have just started MFP last week and not sure how this works. Do you start a new topic every time, or just keep adding to it? I have a hard time with computer related things as they really don't seem to like me.
I only have 5 pounds more to lose but was a stand stil so decided to try this. I'm 62 and retired after 40 years of nursing.

Replies

• bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. You seem to be getting the hang of this pretty quickly. In answer to your question about topics. If you want to talk about something in particular, a new topic can be started as you did here to introduce yourself. Three of the threads (computer lingo for an ongoing conversation ...not something to sew with) that most of us post on are Wednesday checkin, monthly goals and the monthly chats. You already have the hang of the Wednesday checkin and the chat thread anyone can just go on and share bits of our lives. Sometimes someone will introduce a topic to respond to in there as well.
    This group is very non judgemental and supportive so I think you will enjoy being a part of it.
    Good luck with your stubborn 5 pounds.
    Wanda
    Ps using your real name or an alias in boards is entirely your own choice.
  • hayleyandpaigesgrandma
    Options
    Welcome and can I ever relate to computer hate and I still use one all day long. I am fortunate in that I am married to a wonderful guy who is constantly fixing my mistakes.
    Glad you joined us.
    Hope you will find all the support you need. I have found everyone is so kind and helpful.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Computers!

We are a pretty encouraging group here. I've been on MFP since January and with this group since April. Some of the other forums get pretty snarky, but I like to think we are polite and friendly.

I see that everywhere anyway now a days. Have you listened to younger people talk to each other lately? It is like they can't be friends without putting each other down. So sad!

You won't find that here. Even if you screw up, the worst you will probably hear is, "hope you enjoyed it. Don't worry tomorrow is another day!"

Looks like you have done a great job anyway. Those 5 pounds will be gone before you know it!

Charlie
  • ustillcan
    ustillcan Posts: 45
    Options
    Welcome and thanks for starting your thread-
    I've only been with MFP a few weeks and just started my health plan the first week of June. I had put it off for two years and lost control. I'm already down 9 lbs! 5 since MFP start date.

I have a new (for me) approach- exercise at least an hour every single day! It has made a difference for me and I already feel much better.

This is a good group, very encouraging.
    Joyce
  • jots12354
    jots12354 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi.. I am also new here..not a week old yet..glad to be able to communicate with the mature crowd. I will be 60 on Aug 16th yeepee!!

So you been on a program for a while now..Only 5 more pounds to lose..Congratulations I am so looking forward to that day.
  • Computershateme
    Computershateme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One thing I'd like to know is: how do you get those pictures of your weight loss to appear on your posts?

Also, I tried putting in my real name which is Anne-Marie, but the computer didn't like that. Tried several that were rejected too so ended up with "computers hate me" .
  • jbouthiette
    jbouthiette Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I am sure you will find this group encouraging and supportive. I have been in this group a short time and have enjoyed the feedback and encouragement they have given to me. Good luck on your journey!

- JB
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Anne-Marie,

The progress chart is called a Ticker. If you click on APPS above, you will see a choice for Tickers. It will offer you options as to what you want to do and lots of options to create the Ticker. The Ticker will automatically change as you enter your weight loss updates.

Charlie
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies. It looks like a couple if you are making progress already! Keep up the good work and dedication.

I've been here for awhile (two years in a couple if weeks). I've lost 14 pounds and about 4 pounds before I started using MFP, so basically, I'm at a healthy weight now. It wasn't easy, but I just keep working at it because there are 5 more that I would like to lose. I've been discouraged for awhile, but recently got my enthusiasm back and it feels good.

Newbies, you will have your ups and downs, but just stick with it because isn't time to focus on "you" and not everyone else? You've made the first step in a fantastic direction by making the decision to be healthier and joining MFP. It is a great place to be! Good luck!
  • tobybears8
    tobybears8 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. It is nice to have a place to come and talk to people that are in the same boat as I am. I am 60 and need to lose 50 pounds. Don't know how I never noticed but one day I looked in the mirror and OMG it didn't even look like me. LOL. So wishing you and everyone else good luck on The Journey to a New Us.