less calories with paleo

Options
I started following the meal plans from paleoplan.com last Sunday and so far it has been great. I eat three meals and one snack everyday. Although some days I am not hungry for the snack but still eat it because I wouldn't hit 1200 calories for the day. I went from a high carb, high sugar and lots of dairy and low protein (basically SAD diet) I was having intense cravings all the time for unhealthy foods and that has all stopped. I normally stress eat a lot too and have not done that at all. I've also lost nearly 4lbs.

I have hashimoto's so eating this way was recommended to me by many people. I am already feeling a huge improvement. I still have muscle/joint pain but overall have a little more energy. I'm hoping to start Piyo next week too. I used to workout six days a week for over an hour plus my cleaning job and I suspect that is what cause me to my crash last spring which led me to go see the Dr. and ultimately getting this diagnosis. I've gained 45lbs since last September too.

Anyways my question is basically I am worried about the calories. I used to eat 2500 calories + a day, obviously that's what caused me to put on the weight, but more so the quality of the foods. I am petite 4'10" so I know I need less calories. But I am just not that hungry eating this way. It's way more protein and vegetables than I am used to. Most days my meals feel big to me because I am used to eating more smaller meals per day. But I feel better eating more substantial meals three times a day.

Does anyone have any suggestions? You can feel free to look at my diary. I started logging last Sunday. Thank you for any advice in advance. Also just to add that the paleoplans meals are supposed to be 1400-1900 calories but I have never hit that high yet.

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome Olga, I too have Hashimoto's (I was diagnosed after I had been Primal for 6 months, and had lost 50 lbs or more at the time) and have been doing great. The eating plan you are following I am not aware of but I would recommend reading some of the tons of resources available out there to educate yourself on what you are getting into. That said your eating habits will adapt as you go, I ate under calorie goals for some time and started feeling very tired so now I am eating whole health meats and veggies, nuts, seeds etc. as I was before, but now eating more than the calorie index tells me to and I am still losing based on my belt size (I do not weigh anymore). I tend to stuff myself with a big salad for at least 2 meals a day which will not fill you up by itself but will help reach your caloric goals easier by doing this along with a good portion of Fat/protein. Feel free to add me as a friend if you feel the need I will help any way I can.
  • carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have the same struggle and its one reason I use MFP. Your diary looks similar to mine. My only piece of advice would be not to be afraid of fat. What do you have your macros set on??? Mine is currently 20/40/40 for carb, fat, protein. Fat is what your body should be burning for energy so it should be higher than what MFP will set for you. Use the customization and play with which macro setting works best for you.
  • healthym0m0f2
    Options
    Mine is set at 40c 30/30 .i wasn't really sure what to set it at but I figured I could adjust as I go. I've been getting about 80g carbs average which is less so will adjust,

Also paleoplan is the same thing it's a just a meal planning service. They plan out three meals and a snack every day and you get a new menu each week along with the recipes and grocery list. My biggest issue to committing to paleo before is that I just didn't have the energy or motivation to plan. It's meats, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds. No processed foods at all.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably adjustung ti getting enoygh nutrients; you'll likely wake up with your appetite on fire soon! Then just eat more and keep logging!
  • healthym0m0f2
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will definitely try to increase my calories. I set my ratios to 25c 25p 50f does that seem ok? I think just raising my fat will help me eat more calories. I've been too afraid to add any. I don't want to fall into the trap of not eating enough and harming my health even more.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Looks good, adjust as needed, make sure you use high quality fats in your meals as it tends to help a lot
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will definitely try to increase my calories. I set my ratios to 25c 25p 50f does that seem ok? I think just raising my fat will help me eat more calories. I've been too afraid to add any. I don't want to fall into the trap of not eating enough and harming my health even more.

My personal opinion is that carbs should be max 20% for people who are overall healthy. However, if it works for you, and it's the healthy stuff, I'm sure it's fine. I'm glad you increased your fat, but don't be afraid to eat even more fat (not at the expense of protein, just carbs) as 50% is a bare minimum. Again, my opinion only.

Yup, not eating enough backfired in a big way for me, even though I was Primal/Paleo while doing it. It's all about the food, not the calories. However, keep in mind that the majority of your carbs should come from vegetables (I don't know how I would eat 25% carbs and keep my sugar low!).
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with the max carbs at 20%, 40 isn't low carb.

You don't have to meet your calories everyday necessarily, but 1200 is low already. For this reason I agree with the advice to not be afraid of f at. Eating more of it will definitely help you get more calories, without feeling stuffed.

Good luck!!
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think 40/30/30 would be just fine. I did low carb and it really messed with my hormones and sleep in an unexceptable way. If you need ideas for how to get enough carbs on paleo check out my open diary. I feel much better getting note carbs! Everyone is different just change things up keep track and log everything and you'll figure it out!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I think 40/30/30 would be just fine. I did low carb and it really messed with my hormones and sleep in an unexceptable way. If you need ideas for how to get enough carbs on paleo check out my open diary. I feel much better getting note carbs! Everyone is different just change things up keep track and log everything and you'll figure it out!

^the average person likely does not need to be ketogenic but still shouldn't be high carb. Especially if they still have metabolic related health problems that need to be resolved. YOU are not the average person. Your lifestyle is far more active. You farm, you strength train, you are a busy beaver. You are also at a healthy weight and have few health problems (as far as I know- we've been friends awhile!). Few of us live like you and I think few of us can eat high carb and low fat and do well. I think you are the wonderful exception. :flowerforyou:
  • healthym0m0f2
    Options
    Unfortunately I am mostly sedentary. I'm a stay at home mom and basically just cook, clean and homeschool. At the moment I am only doing piyo. I got very burnt out doing hiit and strength for years and was diagnosed with hashimoto's recently with some deficiencies. So I'm trying to heal my body. Seems like 25% has been a good fit for me. I don't think I can go lower yet. I will give my body a month or so to adjust to this way of eating and then re-evaluate. It has been a huge improvement for me already since I used to eat 200-300g carbs daily. I've been averaging about 85g.